Pacers May Target Jalen Brunson In Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pacers May Target Jalen Brunson In Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm

The Indiana Pacers may have interest in free agent point guard Jalen Brunson. Brunson played for current Pacers coach Rick Carlisle when he coached the Dallas Mavericks.

Brunson will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. In a relatively shallow free agent class, Brunson is considered one of the best players available. He's expected to have a fairly wide range of suitors, because of his ability to play both on and off the ball.

Indiana is expected to be one of only a handful of teams to have cap space this summer. The Pacers are also rumored to be considering trading Malcolm Brogdon, which could clear further room under the cap.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Re: Pacers May Target Jalen Brunson In Free Agency 

Post#2 » by 23artest23 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:08 pm

Brunson would be great...he is just one of those guys that play the game the right way. If we can deal Brogdon and open up a role for him Jalen, I'd be OK with Brunson. If it would have to be TJ McConnell leaving, I'd rather Brunson go elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned, I hope to see TJ retire a Pacer.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#3 » by dubbmotta » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm

23artest23 wrote:Brunson would be great...he is just one of those guys that play the game the right way. If we can deal Brogdon and open up a role for him Jalen, I'd be OK with Brunson. If it would have to be TJ McConnell leaving, I'd rather Brunson go elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned, I hope to see TJ retire a Pacer.

Solid player, but if I'm the Pacers I'm not giving him $20 Mil, putting him in a backcourt with Tyrese will not move the needle. They'll still suck..
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#4 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:18 pm

dubbmotta wrote:
23artest23 wrote:Brunson would be great...he is just one of those guys that play the game the right way. If we can deal Brogdon and open up a role for him Jalen, I'd be OK with Brunson. If it would have to be TJ McConnell leaving, I'd rather Brunson go elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned, I hope to see TJ retire a Pacer.

Solid player, but if I'm the Pacers I'm not giving him $20 Mil, putting him in a backcourt with Tyrese will not move the needle. They'll still suck..

Brunson just lead the Mavs to a playoff win without Luka, over the Jazz. :roll:

They should offer 4 years $100 million. Maybe sign and trade sending Brogdon to Dallas?
Robillion
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#5 » by Robillion » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:20 pm

No way he leaves the Mavs any way other than through trade for a (bigger) star. Mavs will pay the man.
Robillion
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Robillion » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:22 pm

Psubs wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

They should offer 4 years $100 million. Maybe sign and trade sending Brogdon to Dallas?

Now as a Mavs fan.. and I loove Brunson.. but we'd take Brogdon AND Turner if that is offered. Otherwise, yall have fun with Carlilse.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#7 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:27 pm

Robillion wrote:
Psubs wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

Now as a Mavs fan.. and I loove Brunson.. but we'd take Brogdon AND Turner if that is offered. Otherwise, yall have fun with Carlilse.

And Turner? IDK about that chief.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#8 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Brunson is good but they should focus on finding a SG or SF.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:31 pm

You can chase a greased pig but you're not likely to catch it.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,172

Post#10 » by strokerace » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:44 pm

Brunson has Knicks signing written all over him. I can easily see them offering him $30+ a year.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#11 » by BigTex » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:23 pm

The Mavs may not pay whatever it takes to resign Brunson no matter what, but they'll come damned close. I could see them matching any deal up to $25 million/year. He plays the game the right way. He's an incredibly hard worker. He gets along with other players. He makes other players better. And best of all, he's still improving. And the last one is, I think, the most important. He and Luca can be a dominant back court for a decade to come.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#12 » by Lalouie » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:37 pm

no brunson
luka is saying "wtf. do you want to help me or not, mark?"
Douglas McClure
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#13 » by Douglas McClure » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:49 am

It is safe to say that Jalen Brunson will certainly be a Knick next season due to the deep relationship he and his family have with the Knicks front office. He is definitely playing himself beyond what the Mavs are allowed to pay him due to a rule for second rounders.

Here is a quote from Hollinger in this article "The issue here is that there is another rule for second-rounders: The team can only start his salary at 120 percent of the average salary, which is $14 million for the first season in 2022-23. Thus, a three-year deal for Brunson, after 8 percent raises, would only come to $45.3 million …"

Link for the full article article below
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/10/7/22715311/jalen-brunson-dallas-mavericks-extension-free-agency-2022
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#14 » by grindtime22 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:56 am

Douglas McClure wrote:It is safe to say that Jalen Brunson will certainly be a Knick next season due to the deep relationship he and his family have with the Knicks front office. He is definitely playing himself beyond what the Mavs are allowed to pay him due to a rule for second rounders.

Here is a quote from Hollinger in this article "The issue here is that there is another rule for second-rounders: The team can only start his salary at 120 percent of the average salary, which is $14 million for the first season in 2022-23. Thus, a three-year deal for Brunson, after 8 percent raises, would only come to $45.3 million …"

Link for the full article article below
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/10/7/22715311/jalen-brunson-dallas-mavericks-extension-free-agency-2022

I'm pretty sure that is the max "extension" they could offer him. This isn't an extension situation anymore. That ship has sailed. He will be an UFA and they will have his full bird rights. I'm pretty sure they can pay him, but he is now at risk with the open market (no RFA).

Return to Wiretap Discussion