Clippers, Heat Interested In John Wall If Bought Out By Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Clippers, Heat Interested In John Wall If Bought Out By Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:39 am

The Houston Rockets and John Wall are expected to revisit buyout talks before free agency should they be unable to trade him before the June 23th draft.

Wall would then become an unrestricted free agent with sources telling Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report that the Los Angeles Clippers and Miami Heat as strong potential landing spots.

The Rockets inquired about a trade deadline deal with the Los Angeles Lakers for Russell Westbrook with the belief he'd be more amenable to negotiate a buyout. But those talks never gained serious traction, sources telling Fisher.

With Wall picking up his $47.4 million player option for 22-23, he could be even more challenging to part ways with than the Lakers will be with Westbrook.

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Re: Clippers, Heat Interested In John Wall If Bought Out By Rockets 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:43 am

No less than 20 teams are interested in John Wall at the minimum... but a few teams would be willing to pay quite a bit more. We'll see what he does, if and when he's bought out.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#3 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:11 am

Exactly. At min most teams don’t mind giving him a try. They are not in need of a starting pg. They just value him for backup and min.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:44 am

Personally, if I was Wall I'd pick a team that will give me the best change/opportunity to restart my career. Just look at what happened to players like Blake Griffin, who didn't go to the best fit and is now just riding the bench. Plenty of teams could have stared Blake imo.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#5 » by donaldtrump_00 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:06 am

It's been so long since Wall has been rellivent that I forgot he's making 47 million. Like damn he really stealing a pay check right about now. I can't believe salaries are this high to play basketball. He's basically a made man doing absolutely nothing. But all that aside I hope he's still a damn good player
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#6 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 pm

There's almost no question the Rockets will happily part ways with him.

The Rockets have no choice but to meet a minimum team salary cap. And Wall's contract is a requirement to meet that minimum salary. Wall's salary is not a negative thing on a team so young and cheap. And if you can open up a roster spot, then it's even better.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#7 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:35 pm

tigerae wrote:Personally, if I was Wall I'd pick a team that will give me the best change/opportunity to restart my career. Just look at what happened to players like Blake Griffin, who didn't go to the best fit and is now just riding the bench. Plenty of teams could have stared Blake imo.

He could come back to DC. There's a big old void at the PG position :lol:

But I think he fits well with the Clippers. They need a pure PG who can get guys in their spots and I'd love to see him be coached by Ty Lue.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 7,998

Post#8 » by Flash4thewin » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:54 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:There's almost no question the Rockets will happily part ways with him.

The Rockets have no choice but to meet a minimum team salary cap. And Wall's contract is a requirement to meet that minimum salary. Wall's salary is not a negative thing on a team so young and cheap. And if you can open up a roster spot, then it's even better.

They don’t need too. If they are under X amount, that X amount is distributed to the players on the team.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#9 » by puja21 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:04 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:There's almost no question the Rockets will happily part ways with him.

technically they don't have to meet the minimum. they would just pay out any gap to the remaining roster

"Teams with a team salary below the minimum are surcharged for their shortfall, with the money distributed among the players on that team. The determination of how the money is distributed is up to the players union. Most recently they have distributed a full share to players who had spent at least 41 games on the team's roster, and a half share to players who had spent 20 to 40 games on the team's roster. However, a player cannot receive more than the maximum salary as a result of a shortfall payment."
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#10 » by CobraCommander » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:53 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
tigerae wrote:Personally, if I was Wall I'd pick a team that will give me the best change/opportunity to restart my career. Just look at what happened to players like Blake Griffin, who didn't go to the best fit and is now just riding the bench. Plenty of teams could have stared Blake imo.

He could come back to DC. There's a big old void at the PG position :lol:

But I think he fits well with the Clippers. They need a pure PG who can get guys in their spots and I'd love to see him be coached by Ty Lue.

If we not gonna win we might as well lose with our boy John wall....bring him to DC while we figure out the future of the PG...at least it would be exciting again
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#11 » by CobraCommander » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:58 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:No less than 20 teams are interested in John Wall at the minimum... but a few teams would be willing to pay quite a bit more. We'll see what he does, if and when he's bought out.

100% of the nba is interested at the min
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:00 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:No less than 20 teams are interested in John Wall at the minimum... but a few teams would be willing to pay quite a bit more. We'll see what he does, if and when he's bought out.

100% of the nba is interested at the min

I originally wrote "29 teams are interested" but there are tanking teams to consider so I settled on "No less than 20." :D
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#13 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:57 am

I don’t see wall giving up a penny of the 47 million. No state income taxes in Texas either for wall. Sure there are professional “jock” tax on road games.

But if wall gives up 10 million. Houston pays 37 million. Will wall sign for vet mid level 5 million? And leave 5 million on the table?
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#14 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:46 pm

kuclas wrote:I don’t see wall giving up a penny of the 47 million. No state income taxes in Texas either for wall. Sure there are professional “jock” tax on road games.

But if wall gives up 10 million. Houston pays 37 million. Will wall sign for vet mid level 5 million? And leave 5 million on the table?

he would give up 5mill a the most sign the min and lose nothing.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:47 pm

his career pretty much over. Maybe has one or two bench years left on good team.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
kuclas wrote:I don’t see wall giving up a penny of the 47 million. No state income taxes in Texas either for wall. Sure there are professional “jock” tax on road games.

He could give up 10 and sign for 15.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#17 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:28 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

How ? Who’s giving him 3 year deal ? Or 15min in 2 years ?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:19 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:he would give up 5mill a the most sign the min and lose nothing.

How ? Who’s giving him 3 year deal ? Or 15min in 2 years ?

He averaged 20 and 7 last season.

Return to Wiretap Discussion