Nike Unlikely To Extend Kyrie Irving's Signature Shoe Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Nike Unlikely To Extend Kyrie Irving's Signature Shoe Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 13, 2022 5:02 pm

Nike is unlikely to extend Kyrie Irving to a signature shoe deal beyond the 22-23 season.

Irving has a new edition of his shoe set to debut in the fall, but that is expected to be the final year of a lucrative signature series that he has had with Nike since 2014.

"We don't comment on contracts or rumors or speculation. Kyrie remains a Nike athlete," a spokesperson told ESPN on Thursday.

In July, Irving lashed out on social media about the design of the Nike Kyrie 8 edition of his shoe, calling it "trash" and insisting that "I have nothing to do with the design or marketing" and that "Nike plans to release it without my okay."

Irving also navigated his position not to be vaccinated, which made him ineligible for home games with the Brooklyn Nets for much of the season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski, Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Re: Nike Unlikely To Extend Kyrie Irving's Signature Shoe Deal 

Post#2 » by pootbrah » Fri May 13, 2022 5:32 pm

BLM protests OK, vaccine mandate protests not OK

Ok Nike
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#3 » by puja21 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:50 pm

pootbrah wrote:BLM protests OK, vaccine mandate protests not OK

Ok Nike

Nike's net profit is up almost 30% YoY in Feb 2022 annual report, and was up 22% in 2021

And they are growing (annual Revenue up 21% for '22 and up 19% for '21)
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:57 pm

How does a company pay millions to a spokerperson and have him turn around and call your product trash? How low can Nike get?
duepayer
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#5 » by duepayer » Fri May 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Ok Nike

I can not, for the life of me, understand how people can be mad at someone for proclaiming that their life matters. People be big mad and hateful over some sh*t that don't effect them in any way. And Nike's beef is about one of their signature athletes criticizing their product publicly AND missing games for a myriad of reasons to boot. I don't think Nike gives a damn about BLM or anti-vaccination. Kyrie's just hurting their bottom line so he's gotta go.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Fri May 13, 2022 6:18 pm

Go Woke get Broke.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#7 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri May 13, 2022 6:23 pm

duepayer wrote:

Ok Nike

I can not, for the life of me, understand how people can be mad at someone for proclaiming that their life matters. People be big mad and hateful over some sh*t that don't effect them in any way. And Nike's beef is about one of their signature athletes criticizing their product publicly AND missing games for a myriad of reasons to boot. I don't think Nike gives a damn about BLM or anti-vaccination. Kyrie's just hurting their bottom line so he's gotta go.
Burning down cities, beating people, and shutting down buildings, is a little more than simply proclaiming life matters. Those weren’t peaceful protests. They’re no better than the people who stormed the capital building. Nike is engaged in COVID theater still and they can’t have a black man on their roster who actually thinks for himself. He’s gotta fine in lockstep with everyone else. Also….calling their product trash had something to do with it to. But if trash, then it’s trash. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in. This is what’s going on here. It has nothing to do with their bottom line.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#8 » by pootbrah » Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
duepayer wrote:

Ok Nike

Burning down cities, beating people, and shutting down buildings, is a little more than simply proclaiming life matters. Those weren’t peaceful protests. They’re no better than the people who stormed the capital building. Nike is engaged in COVID theater still and they can’t have a black man on their roster who actually thinks for himself. He’s gotta fine in lockstep with everyone else. Also….calling their product trash had something to do with it to. But if trash, then it’s trash. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in. This is what’s going on here. It has nothing to do with their bottom line.

thanks for doing my work for me. I cosign this.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 102

Post#9 » by dubbmotta » Fri May 13, 2022 8:57 pm

pootbrah wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
duepayer wrote:

None of the bs above has anything to do with it…he literally came out and said Nike latest design of his shoe was trash and he told
People not to buy them..why in the heck would
Nike want to keep a partnership like that???
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#10 » by slay25 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:15 pm

dubbmotta wrote:
pootbrah wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Burning down cities, beating people, and shutting down buildings, is a little more than simply proclaiming life matters. Those weren’t peaceful protests. They’re no better than the people who stormed the capital building. Nike is engaged in COVID theater still and they can’t have a black man on their roster who actually thinks for himself. He’s gotta fine in lockstep with everyone else. Also….calling their product trash had something to do with it to. But if trash, then it’s trash. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in. This is what’s going on here. It has nothing to do with their bottom line.

None of the bs above has anything to do with it…he literally came out and said Nike latest design of his shoe was trash and he told

because he literally has the most popular shoe in the line...
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri May 13, 2022 9:57 pm

Look guys, this wasn't Nike making a political statement. Nike simply wasn't getting their money's worth. Kyrie has become a polarizing figure and there is a segment of basketball fans that won't touch anything with his name on it. That's not good for business.
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#12 » by chipchipperson » Fri May 13, 2022 10:47 pm

dubbmotta wrote:
pootbrah wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Burning down cities, beating people, and shutting down buildings, is a little more than simply proclaiming life matters. Those weren’t peaceful protests. They’re no better than the people who stormed the capital building. Nike is engaged in COVID theater still and they can’t have a black man on their roster who actually thinks for himself. He’s gotta fine in lockstep with everyone else. Also….calling their product trash had something to do with it to. But if trash, then it’s trash. Good for him for standing up for what he believes in. This is what’s going on here. It has nothing to do with their bottom line.

Why would a person want to keep a partnership with a company that builds 12 dollar sneakers on the back of 3rd world child labor? Kyrie's a broken clock but you know how that goes.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 927

Post#13 » by dk1115 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 am

chipchipperson wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
pootbrah wrote:

Why would a person want to keep a partnership with a company that builds 12 dollar sneakers on the back of 3rd world child labor? Kyrie's a broken clock but you know how that goes.

Because I am a man that can be bought

Return to Wiretap Discussion