Joel Embiid Critiques James Harden, Wishes Sixers Kept Jimmy Butler

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joel Embiid Critiques James Harden, Wishes Sixers Kept Jimmy Butler 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Joel Embiid spoke candidly about the state of the Philadelphia 76ers following their Game 6 elimination by the Miami Heat. For the second straight season and third time in four seasons, the Sixers were eliminated in the second round. 

"Since we got him, everybody expected the Houston James Harden," Embiid said. "But that's not who he is anymore. He's more of a playmaker. I thought, at times, he could have been, as all of us could have been, more aggressive. All of us whether it was Tyrese [Maxey] or Tobias [Harris] or guys coming off the bench.

"And I'm not just talking about offensively. I'm talking about, you know, as a whole offensively and defensively. I didn't think we were good defensively as a team. They took advantage of a lot of stuff that we tried to do defensively. And then offensively just really everybody being on the same page, obviously, only having probably what, three or four months to all work together and try to figure it out. Maybe it wasn't a lot of time. ... I don't think we played our best basketball."

Embiid also praised Jimmy Butler.

"Obviously, that's my guy," Embiid said. "That's my brother. Oh, man, it's tough. But I'm so proud of him. He's playing an unreal level right now. He's something else right now. I'm proud of him being at this level and carrying them and what he's been able to do. They've had ups and downs the whole season. Missing guys, not being healthy, and, they still found a way to be the No. 1 team in the East, and to be able to come in and do what they did, they deserve a lot of credit. They have a great team, great guys overall. And obviously great coaching and a great front offense. So a lot of credit to them.

"Like I said, I'm happy for him. I mean, I won't sit here and say I didn't wish he was my teammate. I still don't know how we let him go. I wish I could have gone to battle with him still. But it is what it is. I just gotta keep building and keep trying to reach that goal."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Re: Joel Embiid Critiques James Harden, Wishes Sixers Kept Jimmy Butler 

Post#2 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Throwing the next teammate under the bus...
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:59 pm

They need to deal Tobias Harris. Embiid/Harden/Maxey are your main offensive guys moving forward. You can't be paying Harris $38 million for next 2 years when the 3 aforementioned guys can average 70-75 points a night
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#4 » by alienpick » Fri May 13, 2022 6:19 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Throwing the next teammate under the bus...

If you read the article instead of just the title.. you'll see he didn't throw Harden under the bus.
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#5 » by ebrian » Fri May 13, 2022 6:24 pm

alienpick wrote:

If you read the article instead of just the title.. you'll see he didn't throw Harden under the bus.

I think he's referring to this part:

"Since we got him, everybody expected the Houston James Harden," Embiid said. "But that's not who he is anymore. He's more of a playmaker. I thought, at times, he could have been, as all of us could have been, more aggressive. All of us whether it was Tyrese [Maxey] or Tobias [Harris] or guys coming off the bench."

He's a little less blunt about it than he was with Simmons, but to me reading this, it's still throwing Harden under the bus. It's also throwing front office under the bus. You don't trade Simmons, Seth Curry, Drummond, and 2 first draft picks for an unaggressive playmaker. Not to mention his later stuff about wishing they still had Butler.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 13, 2022 6:49 pm

ebrian wrote:
alienpick wrote:
I think he's referring to this part: "Since we got him, everybody expected the Houston James Harden," Embiid said. "But that's not who he is anymore. He's more of a playmaker. I thought, at times, he could have been, as all of us could have been, more aggressive. All of us whether it was Tyrese [Maxey] or Tobias [Harris] or guys coming off the bench." He's a little less blunt about it than he was with Simmons, but to me reading this, it's still throwing Harden under the bus. It's also throwing front office under the bus. You don't trade Simmons, Seth Curry, Drummond, and 2 first draft picks for an unaggressive playmaker. Not to mention his later stuff about wishing they still had Butler.

Nah, no need to be so gossip-y about this stuff all the time. In a game in which everyone on the team was flat and chaotic on offense, saying 'all of us could've been more aggressive' isn't 'throwing someone under the bus.' It's being really polite and trying to find something to say other than 'what a f'ing nightmare that was, we got our a kicked and I want to die.' It's not even knocking Harden very much, and in any case there's a difference between a small and real criticism--and shoving someone under a vehicle so they can take blame instead of you. That's clearly obviously not taking place here.

Also the lack of 'aggressiveness' was obviously not a problem, it was the lack of effectiveness; Maxey, Harris, Embiid, and Harden were all totally eager to dribble into Heat double teams or chuck up 18-25 foot jumpers in game 6. They totally lacked a system or discipline to play to their strengths, though, and they lost to a less talented team that did nothing but what they were good at over and over again.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#7 » by 23artest23 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:23 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ebrian wrote:
alienpick wrote: If you read the article instead of just the title.. you'll see he didn't throw Harden under the bus.
I think he's referring to this part: "Since we got him, everybody expected the Houston James Harden," Embiid said. "But that's not who he is anymore. He's more of a playmaker. I thought, at times, he could have been, as all of us could have been, more aggressive. All of us whether it was Tyrese [Maxey] or Tobias [Harris] or guys coming off the bench." He's a little less blunt about it than he was with Simmons, but to me reading this, it's still throwing Harden under the bus. It's also throwing front office under the bus. You don't trade Simmons, Seth Curry, Drummond, and 2 first draft picks for an unaggressive playmaker. Not to mention his later stuff about wishing they still had Butler.

Nah, no need to be so gossip-y about this stuff all the time. In a game in which everyone on the team was flat and chaotic on offense, saying 'all of us could've been more aggressive' isn't 'throwing someone under the bus.' It's being really polite and trying to find something to say other than 'what a f'ing nightmare that was, we got our a kicked and I want to die.' It's not even knocking Harden very much, and in any case there's a difference between a small and real criticism--and shoving someone under a vehicle so they can take blame instead of you. That's clearly obviously not taking place here.

Also the lack of 'aggressiveness' was obviously not a problem, it was the lack of effectiveness; Maxey, Harris, Embiid, and Harden were all totally eager to dribble into Heat double teams or chuck up 18-25 foot jumpers in game 6. They totally lacked a system or discipline to play to their strengths, though, and they lost to a less talented team that did nothing but what they were good at over and over again.

Very well said.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#8 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri May 13, 2022 7:42 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:They need to deal Tobias Harris. Embiid/Harden/Maxey are your main offensive guys moving forward. You can't be paying Harris $38 million for next 2 years when the 3 aforementioned guys can average 70-75 points a night

Yeah they need to trade him but will definitely need to attach some assets to move his contract.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#9 » by LightTheBeam » Fri May 13, 2022 8:01 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ebrian wrote:
alienpick wrote: If you read the article instead of just the title.. you'll see he didn't throw Harden under the bus.

Copium.

The irony that they got mad at Simmons for not shooting, only to trade for Harden and him not to shoot. 9 shots total with 2 in the entire 2nd half. Thats just the start, Harden wasn't trying on defense at all, it seemed like every play he was just sitting back chilling on that end. This is absolutely shots by Embid at Harden, especially the Butler praise. Maybe it was a nice way for him to **** all over Harden, but thinking this is anything less is just fooling yourself.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#10 » by Billl » Fri May 13, 2022 8:08 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
ebrian wrote:

An actual leader would have started and ended with call outs of himself and maybe "all of us". It's not like he was trying to motivate guys for the next game or something. The seasons over. You don't call out guys by name and say they could have done xyz. That's throwing them under the bus. It might be true, but you just don't come out to the media and say that.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#11 » by Years90Suns » Fri May 13, 2022 9:18 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:They need to deal Tobias Harris. Embiid/Harden/Maxey are your main offensive guys moving forward. You can't be paying Harris $38 million for next 2 years when the 3 aforementioned guys can average 70-75 points a night

They need to play Harris where he belongs, which is SF.
Thybulle offers nothing and is not meant to be in the S5.
They need to widen their roster with some quality players.
They really need a PF and then some bench players better than NIang and the likes.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#12 » by spree2kawhi » Fri May 13, 2022 11:23 pm

Did he also talk about himself though?
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#13 » by spree2kawhi » Fri May 13, 2022 11:28 pm

23artest23 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
ebrian wrote: I think he's referring to this part: "Since we got him, everybody expected the Houston James Harden," Embiid said. "But that's not who he is anymore. He's more of a playmaker. I thought, at times, he could have been, as all of us could have been, more aggressive. All of us whether it was Tyrese [Maxey] or Tobias [Harris] or guys coming off the bench." He's a little less blunt about it than he was with Simmons, but to me reading this, it's still throwing Harden under the bus. It's also throwing front office under the bus. You don't trade Simmons, Seth Curry, Drummond, and 2 first draft picks for an unaggressive playmaker. Not to mention his later stuff about wishing they still had Butler.

Very well said.

Personally, if it’s about politeness, I think you start with yourself. Now I get that he was injured and couldn’t have played any better, but if that’s the case… why even look around and mention their names? If it’s about politeness, well… why? But you know it isn’t.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#14 » by TheBoi10 » Sat May 14, 2022 12:52 am

Years90Suns wrote:

They really need a PF and then some bench players better than NIang and the likes.

30 year old Harris at SF is a disaster defensively
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#15 » by Tamimi » Sat May 14, 2022 12:50 pm

Well, Jojo, you're stuck with what you have: a coach who thinks he's doing a terrific job and an aging and fading player who think he's still a superstar.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#16 » by Years90Suns » Sun May 15, 2022 8:21 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
Years90Suns wrote:

30 year old Harris at SF is a disaster defensively

The disaster would come from Harden.
I would give you that:
Thybulle has to play to cover for Harden ineptness.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#17 » by Crunch 99 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:28 am

Imo Embiid, who has only managed to suit up for a little over half the games since he was drafted --- 328 games out of 637 regular season games, has no room to talk about other players' efforts.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 pm

Next to Kyrie Irving, there is no worse teammate than Embiid. But even Irving doesn't just throw his teammates under the bus.

And when his teammates keep bailing on his arrogant ass, he will be stuck with losing.

Return to Wiretap Discussion