Thunder Tried To Trade Up For Evan Mobley, Likely Would Have Picked Him At No. 1

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Thunder Tried To Trade Up For Evan Mobley, Likely Would Have Picked Him At No. 1 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 19, 2022 11:52 am

The Oklahoma City Thunder targeted Evan Mobley in last year's draft, but were unsuccessful in trading up from No. 6.

"Last year they tried to move up, tried to get up to three for Evan Mobley," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "I think if the Thunder had the No. 1 pick last year, they would have taken Mobley. He was there at three, but they could not pry him out of Cleveland.

"I think Oklahoma City has learned and most teams have learned, like, every year they're going to say... there will be teams at one, two and three, and I'll say because teams will tell me, 'Hey, we're going to see what the pick is worth in the marketplace. We're going to listen. We're going to see how people value it.'

"But it's rare when somebody trades out of there. For all the picks the Thunder have... Koby Altman knew what he had [in Mobley]. I don't think Sam Presti could have offered him enough to get him out."

This year, the Thunder secured the No. 2 pick in the draft and will have the opportunity to choose between who is remaining between Jabari Smith, Chet Holmgren and Paolo Banchero.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Return to Wiretap Discussion