Donovan Mitchell 'Unsettled, Unnerved' Follwoing Quin Snyder Resignation

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Donovan Mitchell 'Unsettled, Unnerved' Follwoing Quin Snyder Resignation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 5, 2022 11:47 pm

Donovan Mitchell is reportedly "surprised and disappointed" following Quin Snyder's resignation as the head coach of the Utah Jazz, sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Sources also describe Mitchell as "unsettled, unnerved and wondering what it means for the franchise's future."

Mitchell considered Snyder a key piece of signing his five-year max contract in 2020. He is reportedly trying to process what losing Snyder means in the larger picture of the Jazz organization and himself.

The Jazz are starting the search for a new coach immediately, with Johnnie Bryant, Alex Jensen, and Terry Stotts rumored among initial candidates. 

Mitchell currently has four years and $135 million left on his deal, with a player option on the final season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Donovan Mitchell 'Unsettled, Unnerved' Follwoing Quin Snyder Resignation 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Jun 6, 2022 1:00 am

I've had enough of Mitchell. Put him on next season of the Kardashians.

Coaches come and go. That's what they do kid. Get used to it.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#3 » by tigerae » Mon Jun 6, 2022 3:46 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I've had enough of Mitchell. Put him on next season of the Kardashians.

I mean I get what you're saying, but he has also had issues with Gobbert as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade. I just don't see this Jazz team being a contender with the current roster.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#4 » by Gooner » Mon Jun 6, 2022 10:01 am

Donovan Mitchell signed a long term contract.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,955

Post#5 » by Eagle4 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 12:24 pm

Welcome to South Beach Dono.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#6 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Jun 6, 2022 2:22 pm

tigerae wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:I've had enough of Mitchell. Put him on next season of the Kardashians.

I mean I get what you're saying, but he has also had issues with Gobbert as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade. I just don't see this Jazz team being a contender with the current roster.

Much of it is because Mitchell can’t carry a team to a title. He isn’t the scorer Tatum, Doncic, Curry, Jokic, Kawhi or Embiid are. There’s not much anyone can do about that and it won’t change either. Neither is that much of a slight as those guys are incredible talents and Mitchell is still a great player.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#7 » by tigerae » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:59 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
tigerae wrote:

Much of it is because Mitchell can’t carry a team to a title. He isn’t the scorer Tatum, Doncic, Curry, Jokic, Kawhi or Embiid are. There’s not much anyone can do about that and it won’t change either. Neither is that much of a slight as those guys are incredible talents and Mitchell is still a great player.

They had their chances, but injuries didn't help. Lillard is the type of scorer you're talking about but he couldn't get his team to a title either because of the rest of the roster.

While Mitchell may not be up there, the roster make-up is lacking as well. All those names you mentioned need a 2nd star to help them be contenders. The Jazz have their 2nd best player a defensive minded player who's lacking offensively.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#8 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Jun 6, 2022 5:11 pm

tigerae wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
tigerae wrote:I mean I get what you're saying, but he has also had issues with Gobbert as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade. I just don't see this Jazz team being a contender with the current roster.

They had their chances, but injuries didn't help. Lillard is the type of scorer you're talking about but he couldn't get his team to a title either because of the rest of the roster.

While Mitchell may not be up there, the roster make-up is lacking as well. All those names you mentioned need a 2nd star to help them be contenders. The Jazz have their 2nd best player a defensive minded player who's lacking offensively.

Imo Donovan Mitchell has shown he can be a second best player on a serious contender. He’s in the Klay Thompson, later Dwyane Wade type of segment - at best. A star, yes. A top gun, no. Lillard is/was much better than him. And since the Wade suckers are going derail this part of the post, I’m going to put it a little differently too, just to be clear:

There is not a lesser player than Mitchell in the league that you could pair with him and expect a championship to be won. I don’t believe that player exists. Between Gobert, Conley and also the others, he’s already had plenty of help as well as intangibles on his teams.

Mitchell is, after all, a secondary player on a contender and even in that role his shooting as well as playing style may be a problem. A great talent, but streaky and in a way also limited.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jun 6, 2022 8:46 pm

tigerae wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
tigerae wrote:I mean I get what you're saying, but he has also had issues with Gobbert as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he requests a trade. I just don't see this Jazz team being a contender with the current roster.

Lillard is a scorer that can't be the best player on a title team for several reasons. Most notably, he can't defend his position... or any other position. He can't deal with a double team and does nothing off ball. As soon as a team decides to double him the series is lost. The year POR made it to the conference finals he wasn't doubled through the first two rounds. Then GSW threw the box+1 at him and POR withered. It wasn't even a contest.

Lillard is similar to Melo. Everybody praises his offense but the end of his career is going to be rough. If he leaves POR he will get passed around a bunch. I hope for his sake that he stays put.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#10 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 9:20 pm

Gooner wrote:Donovan Mitchell signed a long term contract.

Who has that stopped?

Return to Wiretap Discussion