Suns Had COVID Outbreak Near The End Of Second Round Loss

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Suns Had COVID Outbreak Near The End Of Second Round Loss 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 8, 2022 1:31 pm

The Phoenix Suns season fell apart in the second round of the 2022 NBA Playoffs. Things culminated in a blowout loss to the Dallas Mavericks in Game 7 in Phoenix.

Now, it's come out that the Suns were dealing with a COVID outbreak that may have impacted their ability to perform against the Mavs. Six different individuals, including one player, tested positive for COVID either late in the series or just after it ended.

The Suns and the NBA have both said that the team did not violate any of the league's health and safety protocols. This includes reporting, testing and sitting personnel out that have tested positive for COVID-19.

Via Sam Amick and Joe Vardon/The Athletic

NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,654

Re: Suns Had COVID Outbreak Near The End Of Second Round Loss 

Post#2 » by NBA4Lyfe » Wed Jun 8, 2022 1:43 pm

pat bev was right, cp3 dont never get no slander..
wesson
Junior
And1: 5

Post#3 » by wesson » Wed Jun 8, 2022 1:52 pm

CONE
"I just have to put the ball in the damn hole"

- Kobe Bryant
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#4 » by Years90Suns » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:11 pm

So they tested positive for one of the 57 viruses a PCR is sensible to.
They could either be suffering symptons for any other illness, a mild illness, a light cold or a stomach virus...
It could have affected their performance, of course.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,322

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:29 pm

How convenient. :roll:

I'm not buying this at all. We would have heard about it at the time and surely it would have spread to the Mavs too. The excuses for Teflon Chris have reached a new low.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,371

Post#6 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:34 pm

Years90Suns wrote:So they tested positive for one of the 57 viruses a PCR is sensible to.
They could either be suffering symptons for any other illness, a mild illness, a light cold or a stomach virus...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 85

Post#7 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:53 pm

How does a COVID outbreak after the series ended affect their performance during the series?
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#8 » by King4Day » Wed Jun 8, 2022 3:09 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:How does a COVID outbreak after the series ended affect their performance during the series?

It could mean they tested positive after the series, but started feeling the impact beforehand.
But if it was only one player, I don't think it really matters. Doubt they had effects during the game 3 and 4 drubbing.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
btipton
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#9 » by btipton » Wed Jun 8, 2022 3:54 pm

Years90Suns wrote:So they tested positive for one of the 57 viruses a PCR is sensible to.

Actually, that is not how the PCR test works at all. It specifically detects COVID19, not other diseases. It detects one virus: COVID19.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,063

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jun 8, 2022 4:10 pm

btipton wrote:
Actually, that is not how the PCR test works at all. It specifically detects COVID19, not other diseases. It detects one virus: COVID19.

Sounds like this is what homeboy is referring to:
"On Nov. 23, David Rodriguez, a former boxer who promotes far-right politics and embraced the QAnon conspiracy theory, posted the list on his Telegram channel with this message: “Did you know there are a total of 57 potential cross reactants that could give you a false positive when administering the PCR tests? It’s also note worthy, that Sars-Covi-2 has STILL not been isolated.” The list that follows catalogs a variety of pathogens — some misspelled — including common viruses, such as different types of influenza, along with various species of bacteria and fungi.

The next day, an Australian QAnon account posted the claim to Gab, another social media platform with a right-wing following. And other partisan accounts continued to share it.

Recently, the claim has bubbled up on Facebook, where it was posted by two chiropractors who have used their platforms to spread misinformation about the pandemic."
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#11 » by irish22022 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 4:37 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
btipton wrote:

"On Nov. 23, David Rodriguez, a former boxer who promotes far-right politics and embraced the QAnon conspiracy theory, posted the list on his Telegram channel with this message: “Did you know there are a total of 57 potential cross reactants that could give you a false positive when administering the PCR tests? It’s also note worthy, that Sars-Covi-2 has STILL not been isolated.” The list that follows catalogs a variety of pathogens — some misspelled — including common viruses, such as different types of influenza, along with various species of bacteria and fungi.

The next day, an Australian QAnon account posted the claim to Gab, another social media platform with a right-wing following. And other partisan accounts continued to share it.

Recently, the claim has bubbled up on Facebook, where it was posted by two chiropractors who have used their platforms to spread misinformation about the pandemic."

Yup. And just like that, a few clicks of a few buttons and another idiot is born. I swear, they're worried about Biden taking away their guns, if I was president I would take away their internet.
Pacewrs05
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Pacewrs05 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 5:00 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:How convenient. :roll:

I'm not buying this at all. We would have heard about it at the time and surely it would have spread to the Mavs too. The excuses for Teflon Chris have reached a new low.

excuse...
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 85

Post#13 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 6:01 pm

King4Day wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:How does a COVID outbreak after the series ended affect their performance during the series?

It could mean they tested positive after the series, but started feeling the impact beforehand.
But if it was only one player, I don't think it really matters. Doubt they had effects during the game 3 and 4 drubbing.

Oh please… all the players are vaxxed and most have already been naturally infected too. Even if they tested positive, it’s mostly asymptomatic with that health profile.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,147

Post#14 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Jun 8, 2022 6:19 pm

irish22022 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
btipton wrote: Actually, that is not how the PCR test works at all. It specifically detects COVID19, not other diseases. It detects one virus: COVID19.

Yup. And just like that, a few clicks of a few buttons and another idiot is born. I swear, they're worried about Biden taking away their guns, if I was president I would take away their internet.

Agreed so many idiots and suckers have been fueling this pandemic with their stupidity and ignorance.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Jesus_H_Macy
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#15 » by Jesus_H_Macy » Wed Jun 8, 2022 6:32 pm

Spare me the excuses Suns. You guys totally choked. Man that was so depressing...
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#16 » by King4Day » Wed Jun 8, 2022 6:53 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Oh please… all the players are vaxxed and most have already been naturally infected too. Even if they tested positive, it’s mostly asymptomatic with that health profile.

I'm responding to you asking how the outbreak, after the series, could have impacted performance during the series.
I explained, as a possibility, they were feeling effects before they tested positive. I felt like crap and was negative. 2 days later I finally tested positive.
I am not saying this impacted the series. I'm just saying how it's possible.

As you said, 'mostly asymptomatic'. And that's assumption. We don't know. Vax doesn't mean you will have no debilitating symptoms.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,040

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Wed Jun 8, 2022 7:25 pm

:rofl:

6 different individuals *****including one player***** tested positive?

We're complaining about one player? One.

Okay, yeah, huge impact.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,796

Post#18 » by Lenneth » Wed Jun 8, 2022 8:35 pm

If an outbreak really happened to Suns players and affected their plays on game 6 and 7, multiple Mavs players would have gotten infected too considering how infectious Omicrons are. As far as I know, none of Mavs players got it, and I call this new BS.
mustbeniceman
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#19 » by mustbeniceman » Wed Jun 8, 2022 8:38 pm

How did this article make it to the athletic LOL
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#20 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Jun 8, 2022 9:04 pm

Not buying the excuse. It wasn't like Booker took shots and missed. It wasn't like Chris Paul nearly made great plays. They froze; didn't achieve a thing. The Suns stunk up the gym and I won't be watching them next year.

Return to Wiretap Discussion