Kenny Atkinson Agrees To Four-Year Contract To Become Next Head Coach Of Hornets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kenny Atkinson Agrees To Four-Year Contract To Become Next Head Coach Of Hornets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:19 pm

The Charlotte Hornets are set to hire Kenny Atkinson as the franchise's next head coach. The two sides have agreed to a four-year deal.

Currently as assistant for the Warriors, Atkinson will replace James Borrego in the role.

The Hornets had narrowed their search down to Atkinson and Mike D'Antoni.

Atkinson had a 118-190 record in his previous head coach job with the Nets. 

The Hornets have missed the playoffs for six consecutive seasons. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Re: Kenny Atkinson Agrees To Four-Year Contract To Become Next Head Coach Of Hornets 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:33 pm

Hiring a coach with a 42% win percentage will definitely help the franchise succeed!
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: Kenny Atkinson Agrees To Four-Year Contract To Become Next Head Coach Of Hornets 

Post#3 » by tigerae » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:27 am

Good pick for them imo for what the Hornets need. He was able to really get the most out of his young players and show be able to the same with the Hornets.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:55 am

RipCityKJ wrote:Hiring a coach with a 42% win percentage will definitely help the franchise succeed!

It's inexplicable! :crazy:

What's more inexplicable is that people actually believe he's a good coach because one year he coached a team to 7th in the east. In his best season his team was one game over .500 and tied for the 14th best record in the NBA. He has one playoff win to his name and I would bet that he's fired before he has four more.

I understand that some folks don't believe that Stotts and D'Antoni are good coaches. Fine, it's OK to be wrong once in a while.... but this guy???
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#5 » by Scoonie » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:58 am

Really good choice. He did a great job with a Nets team that had limited talent.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
tigerae
Rookie

Post#6 » by tigerae » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:40 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:Hiring a coach with a 42% win percentage will definitely help the franchise succeed!

What's more inexplicable is that people actually believe he's a good coach because one year he coached a team to 7th in the east. In his best season his team was one game over .500 and tied for the 14th best record in the NBA. He has one playoff win to his name and I would bet that he's fired before he has four more.

I understand that some folks don't believe that Stotts and D'Antoni are good coaches. Fine, it's OK to be wrong once in a while.... but this guy???

Stotts would have be good, but D'Antoni is only good (and only good during the season) if the roster fits his system. If the roster does not he's just terrible. Atkinson is an assistant for Kerr right now, which also adds value with them being in the finals.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#7 » by TimeisIllmatic » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:31 am

He deserves another chance for sure.
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#8 » by Tamimi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:28 pm

Hiring a coach with a 42% win percentage (even without looking at what roster he had) is better than hiring an assistant with no head-coaching experience at all (I'm talking about Borrego). It's an upgrade.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 641

Post#9 » by FeatheryTouch » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:44 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

You are looking at the raw numbers without any context. He wasn't coaching the 96 Bulls. Those Nets teams were very young and talent-deficient, but played hard and together and showed consistent improvement. If anything you could argue he overachieved in Brooklyn with what he had to work with. He also has 9 years as an assistant and is getting valuable finals experience with the Warriors as we speak.

He has a reputation as an excellent "player development" coach, and Hornets have a young core.

Charlotte doesn't always make smart decisions but I think Atkinson is a pretty good hire.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 707

Post#10 » by Charlesareed » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:55 pm

FeatheryTouch wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

You are looking at the raw numbers without any context. He wasn't coaching the 96 Bulls. Those Nets teams were very young and talent-deficient, but played hard and together and showed consistent improvement. If anything you could argue he overachieved in Brooklyn with what he had to work with. He also has 9 years as an assistant and is getting valuable finals experience with the Warriors as we speak.

He has a reputation as an excellent "player development" coach, and Hornets have a young core.

Charlotte doesn't always make smart decisions but I think Atkinson is a pretty good hire.

He’s a good hire for them I wanted him bad as the bulls next coach until billy left okc the front office jumped him pretty quickly I like billy even from his Florida gator days
Chicago Raised me
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#11 » by Salty1 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:43 pm

Nice system, holds players accountable, fun coach. Not sure what the fuss is about. He's as good as anyone else they could have hired. He won't be here past the 4 years, but still a nice hire.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#12 » by dubbmotta » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:07 am

tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Stotts would have be good, but D'Antoni is only good (and only good during the season) if the roster fits his system. If the roster does not he's just terrible. Atkinson is an assistant for Kerr right now, which also adds value with them being in the finals.

It’s the Hornets man, having a good regular season and making the playoffs is Sucess. They won’t compete for championships, ever. That’s being said Mike D would of been a better choice with the current roster, Mike D with Melo pushing the ball, Bridgrs catching lobs would of excited that fanbase, generated a lot of money and got them bounced every year in the first round. For this organization that’s success. Not a bad coach but a bad hire for the Hornets. Hornets mess up again
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:48 am

dubbmotta wrote:
tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:It's inexplicable! :crazy:

It’s the Hornets man, having a good regular season and making the playoffs is Sucess. They won’t compete for championships, ever. That’s being said Mike D would of been a better choice with the current roster, Mike D with Melo pushing the ball, Bridgrs catching lobs would of excited that fanbase, generated a lot of money and got them bounced every year in the first round. For this organization that’s success. Not a bad coach but a bad hire for the Hornets. Hornets mess up again

D'Antoni has changed his system at every stop. By far the fastest team with a ton of ball movement with the Suns; one of the slowest teams with very little ball movement in HOU. Those were very, very different systems. (Almost opposite.) He creates a system around the personnel and does it very well. Players that buy into his system level up. Average become good, good become great and great become MVP's. If your best players don't buy in, ala Melo, Kobe or Russ, then the team will look pretty bad. I don't see that as being an issue with that young team in CHA.
tigerae
Rookie

Post#14 » by tigerae » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:37 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
tigerae wrote:Stotts would have be good, but D'Antoni is only good (and only good during the season) if the roster fits his system. If the roster does not he's just terrible. Atkinson is an assistant for Kerr right now, which also adds value with them being in the finals.

D'Antoni has changed his system at every stop. By far the fastest team with a ton of ball movement with the Suns; one of the slowest teams with very little ball movement in HOU. Those were very, very different systems. (Almost opposite.) He creates a system around the personnel and does it very well. Players that buy into his system level up. Average become good, good become great and great become MVP's. If your best players don't buy in, ala Melo, Kobe or Russ, then the team will look pretty bad. I don't see that as being an issue with that young team in CHA.

He sucked with the Lakers and sucked with the Knicks. His system has one ball heavy player (Nash, Harden, etc.) and pick and rolls with 3pt shooting on the wings. Kobe was all for D'Antoni, he even defended him against the fans when they started chanting "we want Phil" during games. Problem is he doesn't believe in the post game at all. Melo was a post player in New York and the Lakers had both Pau and Howard along with Kobe who again played a lot in the post.

He also has never proven to me he was able to make adjustments in the playoffs. Even with Houston, he kept giving Harden the ball in the 4th when the entire world knew it was coming and the Warriors kept stopping it. The media asked him about it and he said something along the lines of it got us this far we are not changing now. In turn they lost the series because of it. I was cheering for them in hopes that CP3 would finally get a ring.

Like I said, he can rack up the wins during the regular season as long as the roster fits his run and gun, 7 seconds or less, 3 PT chucking system. Once the playoffs come, though, and the teams start to make adjustments, he just doesn't cut it IMHO. /shrug
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:40 am

tigerae wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

He sucked with the Lakers and sucked with the Knicks. His system has one ball heavy player (Nash, Harden, etc.) and pick and rolls with 3pt shooting on the wings. Kobe was all for D'Antoni, he even defended him against the fans when they started chanting "we want Phil" during games. Problem is he doesn't believe in the post game at all. Melo was a post player in New York and the Lakers had both Pau and Howard along with Kobe who again played a lot in the post.

He also has never proven to me he was able to make adjustments in the playoffs. Even with Houston, he kept giving Harden the ball in the 4th when the entire world knew it was coming and the Warriors kept stopping it. The media asked him about it and he said something along the lines of it got us this far we are not changing now. In turn they lost the series because of it. I was cheering for them in hopes that CP3 would finally get a ring.

Like I said, he can rack up the wins during the regular season as long as the roster fits his run and gun, 7 seconds or less, 3 PT chucking system. Once the playoffs come, though, and the teams start to make adjustments, he just doesn't cut it IMHO. /shrug

Kobe said lots of things, but he didn't buy in. He wouldn't let Nash be the PG. He wanted the ball in his hands. Sorry but Nash is a far better PG than Kobe and should have been initiating the offense while on the floor. Melo did the same thing and we can all agree that it was hard basketball to watch in both stops. It's the coaches job to bring a plan and the players job to execute.

Remember when Kobe lobbied for Rudy T. and then wouldn't run his system. He was trying to get Rudy to run the Triangle like 6 weeks in. Phil was the only coach that he let coach him, and that was touch and go at times.

And like I said, HOU was running the opposite of 7 seconds or less. More like 16 seconds or more. :noway:

Return to Wiretap Discussion