Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Steph Curry Wins NBA Finals MVP For First Time In Career 

Post#21 » by alienpick » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:33 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
alienpick wrote:
mariofour wrote:Stunk up the Finals with just 26/5/6 averages...it was a ridiculous decision to give it to Iguodala just because they moved him into the S5.

I watched those Finals, did you? Or did you just look up stats? Steph wasn't playing well, definitely not up to his standards, that's why they gave it to Iggy.

BTW: I'm not a Steph hater. I think he deserved KDs first FMVP and he definitely deserved this one. Happy for him and the Dubs. Especially to prove that they never needed The Snake.

Iguodala was the MVP because LeBron was the best player in the series and without Iggy's defense the CAV's would have won. Some things just don't show up in the stats. It's not "Best Player" it's "Most Valuable Player". Iggy's ability to guard LeBron without bringing a double is what won the series for GSW. The decision came down to giving it to LeBron or giving it to the guy most responsible for keeping LeBron reasonably in check. I personally believe giving Finals MVP to a player on the losing team is moronic. I support the decision.

Totally agree about Iggy, and he deserved it. Steph did not play well enough to earn it. I would have probably given it to Lebron; he was the Most Valuable Player in that Finals. Iggy was the MVP of the Warriors in that series. But it's weird to give it to the losing team.

My point that Steph wasn't the best player, and had a bad series still stands.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#22 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:36 pm

alienpick wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
alienpick wrote:
I watched those Finals, did you? Or did you just look up stats? Steph wasn't playing well, definitely not up to his standards, that's why they gave it to Iggy.

BTW: I'm not a Steph hater. I think he deserved KDs first FMVP and he definitely deserved this one. Happy for him and the Dubs. Especially to prove that they never needed The Snake.

Iguodala was the MVP because LeBron was the best player in the series and without Iggy's defense the CAV's would have won. Some things just don't show up in the stats. It's not "Best Player" it's "Most Valuable Player". Iggy's ability to guard LeBron without bringing a double is what won the series for GSW. The decision came down to giving it to LeBron or giving it to the guy most responsible for keeping LeBron reasonably in check. I personally believe giving Finals MVP to a player on the losing team is moronic. I support the decision.

Totally agree about Iggy, and he deserved it. Steph did not play well enough to earn it. I would have probably given it to Lebron; he was the Most Valuable Player in that Finals. Iggy was the MVP of the Warriors in that series. But it's weird to give it to the losing team.

I don't think anyone that was watching could argue that point.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#23 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:52 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
alienpick wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Lebron was the best player so he should get fmvp its silly not to honestly he was probably the best when Kawhi won it too. Which means he would have 6 already in all honesty he was better than KD too but it was close enough that there is no way KD doesnt get it despite the fact he can never be double teamed.. So LBJ has actually been the best player in 8 nba finals but his team was worse so thats his fault apparently
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#24 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:26 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
alienpick wrote:

Lebron was the best player so he should get fmvp its silly not to honestly he was probably the best when Kawhi won it too. Which means he would have 6 already in all honesty he was better than KD too but it was close enough that there is no way KD doesnt get it despite the fact he can never be double teamed.. So LBJ has actually been the best player in 8 nba finals but his team was worse so thats his fault apparently

Once again, the award is not for "best player". If it was, I would agree with you. They do not specify that it needs to be the "most valuable player" of the winning team, but they probably should.

Billups (deservedly) won it in 2004, going 21/3/5. Nobody is going to argue that he was better than Shaq at 27/11 on 63% shooting.

Pierce won it in 2008 with Kobe going 26/5/5. Was Pierce better than Kobe? In that series, definitely yes. but was Pierce more valuable than KG (18/13) or Allen (20/5/3) on 52% 3pt shooting?

It's just a stupid award, but it needs to go to the winning team. Sorry Mr West!

Return to Wiretap Discussion