John Wall, Rockets Expected To Talk Buyout; Clippers, Lakers, Heat Interested

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

John Wall, Rockets Expected To Talk Buyout; Clippers, Lakers, Heat Interested 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:42 pm

John Wall hasn't played in an NBA game since April 23, 2021. But that "streak" may be coming close to a conclusion.

Wall and the Houston Rockets are expected to again talk about a buyout. After he exercised his player option last week, Wall is owed $47.4 million for next season in the final year of his contract.

Last season, after Houston made it clear they had no interest in giving Wall minutes, there were buyout rumors. But with over $90 million owed to Wall over two seasons, talks didn't go very far. Now, after missing a second full season in the last three years, Wall is said to be open to the idea.

Should the Rockets be unable to find a trade partner, Wall is expected to give back some portion of that $47.4 million salary to gain his freedom. If that happens, the LA Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat would be interested in bringing in Wall.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: John Wall, Rockets Expected To Talk Buyout; Clippers, Lakers, Heat Interested 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:41 pm

This has been absolutely absurd. Something needs to change in the next CBA.

A player should not be able to force themselves onto a team if they are not wanted anymore. This is not payment for injury; it's just payment when he is not wanted.

The player should be forced to leave and play elsewhere.
Ballknowledge
Sophomore
And1: 28

Re: John Wall, Rockets Expected To Talk Buyout; Clippers, Lakers, Heat Interested 

Post#3 » by Ballknowledge » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:51 pm

Would love to see a relatively healthy and motivated John wall on the clippers. He’s always been a great playmaker and showed flashes in Houston that he can still be very effective on the fast break.
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#4 » by Whetzell » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:15 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:This has been absolutely absurd. Something needs to change in the next CBA.

A player should not be able to force themselves onto a team if they are not wanted anymore. This is not payment for injury; it's just payment when he is not wanted.

The team (Washington) didn't have to offer him a player option and Houston knew he was going to pick that up when they made that trade.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#5 » by alienpick » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:43 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:This has been absolutely absurd. Something needs to change in the next CBA.

Houston benched Wall in this case and held him out for a year. They knew what his contract was when the traded for him. He has every right to pick up his $47 million option. Houston should have bought him out, or traded him, if they didn't want to play him. It's not fair to the player to have his career held hostage by a team that doesn't want him.

Now, players signing a max deal then demanding a trade should be addressed. (Simmons for example, and maybe even Durant this summer).
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:47 pm

Whetzell wrote:

The team (Washington) didn't have to offer him a player option and Houston knew he was going to pick that up when they made that trade.

I disagree with you in just about every conceivable way, but here are the main three reasons:

1) Wall did not force himself onto the Rockets. They traded for him. They actually traded a player on a slightly more expensive contract that they didn't want. At the time they wanted him and hoped he would be a good pairing with Harden. Ooops!

2) Upon Harden's departure HOU decided that losing was better than winning... so now they don't need to pay anyone? They can just suck and all the fans say,"Yay!"? That's dumb!

3) Billionaires don't need our help. They can pay their debts. Why the hell would you care anyway? The Rockets are still trying to lose and skipping out on paying Wall wouldn't change that. Just be thankful of the cap space your team will have next season and move on. :crazy:
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#7 » by slay25 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:03 pm

houston got the better end of that trade, obviously, getting picks for it and swapping guys they would have benched either way.

obviously what you're suggesting just doesn't make sense because it would have to be a rule and then a team could get out of any contract they didn't like if the player they signed or traded for didn't pan out.

and even though players force their way off of teams all the time these days it seems to often work out in the long run for the team that trades them away. pelicans positioned nicely, thunder positioned nicely, houston even positioned nicely. way too much hate for these trade demands given the mounting evidence it benefits the franchise.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#8 » by CobraCommander » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:26 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Whetzell wrote:

I disagree with you in just about every conceivable way, but here are the main three reasons:

1) Wall did not force himself onto the Rockets. They traded for him. They actually traded a player on a slightly more expensive contract that they didn't want. At the time they wanted him and hoped he would be a good pairing with Harden. Ooops!

2) Upon Harden's departure HOU decided that losing was better than winning... so now they don't need to pay anyone? They can just suck and all the fans say,"Yay!"? That's dumb!

3) Billionaires don't need our help. They can pay their debts. Why the hell would you care anyway? The Rockets are still trying to lose and skipping out on paying Wall wouldn't change that. Just be thankful of the cap space your team will have next season and move on. :crazy:

Thank you for saying everything I was thinking....

I’ll add this...wall would be dumb to do a buy out. Wall should see every dime of his money... not out of spit but because it’s not in his best interest to take a pay cut to play ball. If they don’t play him they don’t play him. In a year wall will be healthier than ever and he can work on his game until then
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#9 » by niha17 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:37 pm

he can sit there and get everything. lakers heat clippers wont get the ring he might want. so he dont need to take the buyout go get all 47 mill
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#10 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:45 pm

Wall’s vision of a buyout is keeping $46m of the $47.4m *and* heading to wherever he wants to play.

He wants everything. Instead of helping another team out, the Rockets should just ignore him. He can go anywhere 2023 summer.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#11 » by YourGM99 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:55 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Wall’s vision of a buyout is keeping $46m of the $47.4m *and* heading to wherever he wants to play.

He wants everything. Instead of helping another team out, the Rockets should just ignore him. He can go anywhere 2023 summer.

What team is he supposed to be helping out Houston? He just helped them by sitting out all season which resulted in them getting the #3 pick in the draft. Also, outside of Gordon (who they are looking to trade) no one else on the roster is scheduled to make more than $10M next year. They need Wall’s contract to stay above the minimum salary cap requirements.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#12 » by kalel123 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:56 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Wall’s vision of a buyout is keeping $46m of the $47.4m *and* heading to wherever he wants to play.

This is one time I'd say a player should hold out for full money he's owed.

It's the Rockets that mismanaged this situation. They didn't do jack s#!t for him.
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#13 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:57 am

kalel123 wrote:

This is one time I'd say a player should hold out for full money he's owed.

It's the Rockets that mismanaged this situation. They didn't do jack s#!t for him.

Definitely. I’m all for it.

I only have problem when a player wanting to take the full amount, and only offer a low amount say 10% back for a buyout so their “career is not wasted”, and whine about it when he doesn’t get his way.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#14 » by deeps6x » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:12 am

If Wall offers more than a $10M discount, do it. Buy him out. But if Wall is too stubborn to let that much cash go, then just let him sit another season. Like someone else said, they need his salary to stay above the minimum. And if Houston is pissed at him for some reason, then buy him out in October, after everyone else has filled all of their rosters.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#15 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:36 am

Why wouldn't the Rockets trade Wall for Westbrook without a pick before buying him out?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#16 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:20 am

I can’t believe they thought he was worth a pick for Westbrook trade . At least Westbrook has played .. Now how much will wall give back ? 5m? 7m? I wouldn’t imagine be much more than that
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#17 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:21 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Why wouldn't the Rockets trade Wall for Westbrook without a pick before buying him out?

I don’t get it either . Silly to be honest . Doesn’t make the FO look good
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#18 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:42 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Why wouldn't the Rockets trade Wall for Westbrook without a pick before buying him out?

Why help the Lakers out for free, or for a worthless low pick, and take back a useless and disgruntled Westbrook, right?

Take a step back, and look at the situation. Only Lakers fans are asking the question of why the Rockets don't take Westbrook.

No one else is asking that question, except Lakers fans.

You will understand once you stop looking at the situation through a Lakers fan's glasses.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#19 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:46 am

GunnerWRX wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

Why help the Lakers out for free, or for a worthless low pick, and take back a useless and disgruntled Westbrook, right?

Take a step back, and look at the situation. Only Lakers fans are asking the question of why the Rockets don't take Westbrook.

You will understand once you stop looking at the situation through a Lakers fan's glasses.

Then why buyout him for 7-10m savings? Let him rot . Your not getting anything in return now . At least if you got Westbrook last year you would have got a productive player .They really tried get a 1st rounder for him. Like come on..
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#20 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:52 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:I don’t get it either . Silly to be honest . Doesn’t make the FO look good

Then why buyout him for 7-10m savings? Let him rot . Your not getting anything in return now . At least if you got Westbrook last year you would have got a productive player .They really tried get a 1st rounder for him. Like come on..

I am all for letting Wall rot.

If he gives back $20-$30m of the $47m, I would buy him out. If not, I would let him rot.

And another poster has said that Wall's salary is needed to meet the min salary as well. So, maybe not even needed to buy him out. he can rot.

Return to Wiretap Discussion