Jalen Brunson Decision Seems Down To Mavericks Or Knicks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jalen Brunson Decision Seems Down To Mavericks Or Knicks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:19 pm

The Dallas Mavericks want to re-sign Jalen Brunson, and have publicly made that known. The New York Knicks can't publicly say they want to sign Brunson, but they seem to be gearing up for a run at the free agent point guard.

After the 2022 NBA Draft, where New York cleared some additional 2022 cap space, it now seems like Brunson's options are down to the Mavs or Knicks. The Detroit Pistons and Indiana Pacers are no longer being mentioned as potential destinations for Brunson. The Washington Wizards, who have openly talked about their need for a point guard, have no real path towards signing Brunson.

Brunson's next contract is expected to be somewhere in the range of four-years and $100 million. The Knicks are one salary-clearing deal away from creating the space to sign Brunson to a big enough first-year salary for a $100 million contract. The Mavericks can re-sign Brunson to any deal up to his max using his Bird Rights.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Re: Jalen Brunson Decision Seems Down To Mavericks Or Knicks 

Post#2 » by bockingknickers » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:18 pm

Hopefully Dallas is dumb enough to over pay so knicks can go after Dejounte Murray. I doubt it but hoping I can wake up from this nightmare at some point in my lifetime.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#3 » by hype_2004 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:48 pm

Easy choice Dallas, New York has 8.8% income tax with New York city an additional 3.8 percent municipal tax with higher sales tax and property tax. With the income tax alone that a combined 12% of his income plus 37% federal tax your looking at almost 50 percent of his income going to the government. To offset all of that Knicks have to pay over 15% more just to even the Dallas offer, and probably more to offset the cost of living in New York.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#4 » by hype_2004 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 pm

bockingknickers wrote:Hopefully Dallas is dumb enough to over pay so knicks can go after Dejounte Murray. I doubt it but hoping I can wake up from this nightmare at some point in my lifetime.

Why would Dallas overpay when they have the financial advantage of being in Texas having no state income tax? Cuban can offer 10% less of what New York has to offer and it still will be more than what New York can offer. It's New York who has to over pay due to the state and city's high taxes.
TacoLord
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,250

Post#5 » by TacoLord » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 pm

hype_2004 wrote:Easy choice Dallas, New York has 8.8% income tax with New York city an additional 3.8 percent municipal tax with higher sales tax and property tax. With the income tax alone that a combined 12% of his income plus 37% federal tax your looking at almost 50 percent of his income going to the government. To offset all of that Knicks have to pay over 15% more just to even the Dallas offer, and probably more to offset the cost of living in New York.

lol, players don't care about income taxes. Plus he gets to be the THE MAN in New York vs #2 option in Dallas, and now his dad is a coach there. Seems like a pretty good pitch to get him to join the Knicks vs Dallas.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#6 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:29 pm

hype_2004 wrote:Easy choice Dallas, New York has 8.8% income tax with New York city an additional 3.8 percent municipal tax with higher sales tax and property tax. With the income tax alone that a combined 12% of his income plus 37% federal tax your looking at almost 50 percent of his income going to the government. To offset all of that Knicks have to pay over 15% more just to even the Dallas offer, and probably more to offset the cost of living in New York.

Sales and property tax are significantly higher in Dallas. Big markets mean more lucrative opportunities outside of basketball so the pay difference isn't exactly black and white.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#7 » by nedleeds » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm

Hopefully he saves the Knicks from themselves. An uncompetitive roster signing a 26 year old to a $100 deal to chase the play in is a road to nowhere.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#8 » by Barcs » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:32 pm

I hope he just stays with the Mavs, so the Knicks don't overpay this guy. They would be far better off trading for Dejounte Murray.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#9 » by nedleeds » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:50 pm

Barcs wrote:I hope he just stays with the Mavs, so the Knicks don't overpay this guy. They would be far better off trading for Dejounte Murray.

Just do nothing. Dejonte Murray get you the 2014 Bobcats. Who cares? Murray is 26 and has an ACL. Knicks need the number 3 pick.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#10 » by DoctorDunc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 pm

Amen Barcs
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#11 » by njknicks » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 pm

Undersized PG, never an all-star, not a great defender, one good playoff run playing alongside a superstar in Luka.

While he is a great role player ( high fg %, low turnover ) -- difficult to justify the Knicks being so aggressive in trying to land Brunson. Would much rather sign Tyus Jones ( high fg%, low turnover, already familiar with Thibs -- had a great playoff run ) for a fraction of the price, keep the cap space / future first picks and continue to flip Noel / Burks for additional cap space or future pick(s) if possible.

Focus should be to truly go all in on the the young guys -- to see if they are long-term building blocks or trade assets this season before they are up for contracts. Toppin / Quickly / Grimes / Reddish need to be given at least 25+mpg ... showcase them to the league.

Ultimately could not justify Jalen Brunson being your highest paid player ( speculation is a 4 year $100m+ deal ).

Further, could not justify over $250m tied to Randle & Brunson.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

Sales and property tax are significantly higher in Dallas. Big markets mean more lucrative opportunities outside of basketball so the pay difference isn't exactly black and white.

100% he’ll get more marketing opportunities being in NYC
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#13 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:32 pm

You would think the Knicks learned their lesson after Randle.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#14 » by BigTex » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:55 am

I hope he resigns with Dallas. That being said the tax angle has never persuaded any player that I know of to take what at first but is a lesser deal. But I think Dallas will match any salary New York offers. Real issue that I worry about appealing to Brunson about moving is that in Dallas, he is going to be a second banana, and hopefully soon a third banana. Being the man even on a bad team it’s more appealing to some people than winning.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#15 » by DickMotta4Prez » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 am

Re-signing JB makes total sense for Dallas: roster is worse without him, can't use his cap space to sign anyone else - certainly not a player of comparable talent. It's unfortunate the FO didn't extend him earlier when the price was lower, but that's hindsight.
It's hard to understand why Knicks are so hell-bent on acquiring him. It's not certain that he'll be the unquestionable 2nd star next to Luka and yet NYK seem ready to make him their franchise. It's a helluva risk for a franchise which has made far more bad moves than good in the last 2 decades.
Spencer Dinwiddie would make a better choice with a lower risk factor with an equitable potential impact on their roster. Dallas would certainly move him with the right offer as it will help their cap situation.
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#16 » by Lalouie » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:38 am

feels like dallas

he would've signed with nyk already to be with family.

waiting = waiting for dallas's offer = that's where he'd rather be = nyk will NEVER have an in as good as this. not signing with the knicks would make what we all know to be official, ie no one wants to play in manhattan
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#17 » by haste10176 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:48 am

Lalouie wrote:feels like dallas

he would've signed with nyk already to be with family.

waiting = waiting for dallas's offer = that's where he'd rather be = nyk will NEVER have an in as good as this. not signing with the knicks would make what we all know to be official, ie no one wants to play in manhattan

He can not sign with the Knicks yet.. Technically they cant even discuss it yet.. All things being equal if I am him I would join the knicks because you get to run the show and Dallas can not win it all with the current roster.. So sure the knicks would still suck but you get to be the guy and get paid a mint doing it..
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,365

Post#18 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:38 am

DickMotta4Prez wrote:Re-signing JB makes total sense for Dallas: roster is worse without him, can't use his cap space to sign anyone else - certainly not a player of comparable talent. It's unfortunate the FO didn't extend him earlier when the price was lower, but that's hindsight.
It's hard to understand why Knicks are so hell-bent on acquiring him. It's not certain that he'll be the unquestionable 2nd star next to Luka and yet NYK seem ready to make him their franchise. It's a helluva risk for a franchise which has made far more bad moves than good in the last 2 decades.
Spencer Dinwiddie would make a better choice with a lower risk factor with an equitable potential impact on their roster. Dallas would certainly move him with the right offer as it will help their cap situation.

1 week into the season knicks fans in the garden are gonna be booing him. And the realgm knicks forum is gonna talk about how we can get rid of brunson. Classic knicks move. Brunson is not the answer for us. But what do i know? At this point im just done with the knicks, just watch the games and hope one day we are gonna be blessed with a player that can overcome the knicks culture and dolan. Hopefully its going to be in my lifetime.

Oh just to clarify. Knicks Fans are gonna boo him because they have way too high expectations for a slightly above average guard
im bout dat action boss
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#19 » by BigTex » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:54 am

DickMotta4Prez wrote:Re-signing JB makes total sense for Dallas: roster is worse without him, can't use his cap space to sign anyone else - certainly not a player of comparable talent. It's unfortunate the FO didn't extend him earlier when the price was lower, but that's hindsight.

The Knicks are a horrible team, with a worse than horrible owner. They’re never going to sign a first rank free agent unless the start out building slowly. And they’re going to hassively overlay the first decent player to sign. Brunson fits. He’s good, nit great they might be able to money whip him. Hiwejwe does one if the worst franchises in the league have a prayer. I literally can’t think of a worse team fur a good player to sign with.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#20 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:31 pm

BigTex wrote:I hope he resigns with Dallas. That being said the tax angle has never persuaded any player that I know of to take what at first but is a lesser deal. But I think Dallas will match any salary New York offers. Real issue that I worry about appealing to Brunson about moving is that in Dallas, he is going to be a second banana, and hopefully soon a third banana. Being the man even on a bad team it’s more appealing to some people than winning.

That's the biggest factor. No up and coming PG wants to stand in a corner and watch Luka dribble 80 times and hope they get to touch the ball that possession. More touches on a big stage makes it more likely to get a future all star nod and command an even bigger salary next contract. NY a no brainer IMO.

Return to Wiretap Discussion