Jalen Brunson To Meet With Knicks, Mavs, Heat

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jalen Brunson To Meet With Knicks, Mavs, Heat 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:36 am

Jalen Brunson will meet with the New York Knicks and Dallas Mavericks at the start of free agency, as well as the Miami Heat in a surprise move.

The Heat would need the Mavericks to participate in a sign-and-trade in order to acquire Brunson.

The Knicks are viewed as the frontrunners for Brunson with an offer of $110 million over four years. Dallas was initially hoping to come to terms on a five-year, $106 million deal

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: Jalen Brunson To Meet With Knicks, Mavs, Heat 

Post#2 » by br7knicks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:23 am

106 in texas will net him more money than 110 in NY due to **** level taxes.

if burnson wants money, stay in texas.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#3 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am

br7knicks wrote:106 in texas will net him more money than 110 in NY due to **** level taxes.

Dallas is a five year offer so he'd surely make more in NY with the first year of a new contract after the 4th knick season expires.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
br7knicks

Post#4 » by br7knicks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Cassius wrote:
br7knicks wrote:106 in texas will net him more money than 110 in NY due to **** level taxes.

Dallas is a five year offer so he'd surely make more in NY with the first year of a new contract after the 4th knick season expires.

even after no income tax? i'm not sure. state taxes are high in NY, and getting higher. i lived there for 32 years, and left 4 years ago because of how bad things have gotten, and how bad it's going
RIP, magnumt '19

docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 909

Post#5 » by docholliday99 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Don't players have to pay state tax in every state they play in, with the exception being their home games? I also think we shouldn't forget the size of the market in NY, it wouldn't be too difficult to make up that difference with endorsements. NY will price him out of Dallas' range and Jalen gets to be the primary ball handler - 2 big check points for NY.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#6 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:23 pm

Lol Miami GM Pat Reily looking to unload washed-up Lowry to Dallas in sign and trade for Brunston.... Is Dallas that dumb?
Cassius
RealGM

Post#7 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:08 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Lol Miami GM Pat Reily looking to unload washed-up Lowry to Dallas in sign and trade for Brunston.... Is Dallas that dumb?

It's somehow better than nothing. I'd consider taking on two years of Lowry if he came with a second round pick and Okpala, or some other prospect.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#8 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:15 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Cassius wrote:

even after no income tax? i'm not sure. state taxes are high in NY, and getting higher. i lived there for 32 years, and left 4 years ago because of how bad things have gotten, and how bad it's going

Even if he only got 1/15M after this deal is up, that's 5/125 total from the Knicks vs 5/110 from Dallas. NY State tax is 8.8%, so Brunson would still clear at least a couple million.
br7knicks

Post#9 » by br7knicks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:36 pm

Cassius wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Even if he only got 1/15M after this deal is up, that's 5/125 total from the Knicks vs 5/110 from Dallas. NY State tax is 8.8%, so Brunson would still clear at least a couple million.

i think 8.8 is sales tax.

i'm talking about income tax

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/taxes/new-york-state-tax

according to this, he'd fit in the 10.8%, and that's after the $450,000

living in the city is also going to cause a much higher cost of living (on top of other taxes that will be imposed over the next bunch of years).

i still think it'd make more economic sense for him to stay in Texas. But maybe money is not important to him
RIP, magnumt '19

Cassius
RealGM

Post#10 » by Cassius » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:20 pm

br7knicks wrote:

living in the city is also going to cause a much higher cost of living (on top of other taxes that will be imposed over the next bunch of years).

i still think it'd make more economic sense for him to stay in Texas. But maybe money is not important to him

Oh you're right, I must have clicked the wrong link. I would still bet that the first year of his next contract is higher than 15M with the rising cap. Dallas sliding the 5th year to lower the annual salary is kind of slick. I would also prefer to live in Dallas for all the reasons you cited, plus a much better BBall situation.

I don't understand why Dallas has such a problem committing to point guards.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#11 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:44 pm

Staying in Dallas with Doncic or coming to the sewer that is the NY Knicks franchise...how is this even a decision?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#12 » by DickMotta4Prez » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:02 pm

I get that there's a lot of libertarians with nothing better to do than whine about taxes on every available online platform, but

Has any player ever made a FA decision based primarily on their tax savings? FFS, KD left OKC to go to CA and then BKN afterward. It's as if this only matters to wannabe GMs and agents and no one who actually matters
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
br7knicks

Post#13 » by br7knicks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 pm

Cassius wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Oh you're right, I must have clicked the wrong link. I would still bet that the first year of his next contract is higher than 15M with the rising cap. Dallas sliding the 5th year to lower the annual salary is kind of slick. I would also prefer to live in Dallas for all the reasons you cited, plus a much better BBall situation.

I don't understand why Dallas has such a problem committing to point guards.

think their affinity with luka, thinking he'll just be primary every time
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 pm

docholliday99 wrote:Don't players have to pay state tax in every state they play in, with the exception being their home games? I also think we shouldn't forget the size of the market in NY, it wouldn't be too difficult to make up that difference with endorsements. NY will price him out of Dallas' range and Jalen gets to be the primary ball handler - 2 big check points for NY.

i believe this is true, but i'm not sure. but if you can play 41 games where you don't have to pay income tax, that can make a difference, especially compared to NY/cali's taxes.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#15 » by br7knicks » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 pm

DickMotta4Prez wrote:I get that there's a lot of libertarians with nothing better to do than whine about taxes on every available online platform, but

Has any player ever made a FA decision based primarily on their tax savings? FFS, KD left OKC to go to CA and then BKN afterward. It's as if this only matters to wannabe GMs and agents and no one who actually matters

lol uh oh, some major small dick energy projection there.

i'm almost sorry for bringing up a realistic factor that have affected the choice of where people, and athletes, reside :lol:
RIP, magnumt '19

DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#16 » by DickMotta4Prez » Fri Jul 1, 2022 1:18 am

br7knicks wrote:
DickMotta4Prez wrote:I get that there's a lot of libertarians with nothing better to do than whine about taxes on every available online platform, but

lol uh oh, some major small dick energy projection there.

i'm almost sorry for bringing up a realistic factor that have affected the choice of where people, and athletes, reside :lol:

You can do a lot of projecting, yet you can't name a single example :thumbsup:
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.

Return to Wiretap Discussion