Blazers Need Strong Offseason To Persuade Damian Lillard To Sign Extension

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Blazers Need Strong Offseason To Persuade Damian Lillard To Sign Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 2, 2022 2:01 am

While Damian Lillard has been widely expected to sign a two-year extension with the Portland Trail Blazers worth more than $100 million, sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic that it is not a sure thing yet.

The Blazers still needed to have a strong offseason to persuade Lillard to extend through the 26-27 season when he'll be 36. Portland has acquired Jerami Grant and Gary Payton II while also re-signing Anfernee Simons and Jusuf Nurkic this offseason. 

The deadline on an extension is the start of the regular season.

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Re: Blazers Need Strong Offseason To Persuade Damian Lillard To Sign Extension 

Post#2 » by niha17 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 2:38 am

no they dont need to upgrade. He would sign the supermax with nobody on the team. Hes all about the money. if he sign any extension I never want to hear from him again. Just like Beal did i dont want to ever hear him again either.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#3 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 2:59 am

Hey blazers its easy get Kevin Durant..
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 924

Post#4 » by perempe20 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 8:52 am

I would trade Lillard in a heartbeat.
SatchSanders
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#5 » by SatchSanders » Sat Jul 2, 2022 7:19 pm

perempe20 wrote:I would trade Lillard in a heartbeat.

At Lillard’s age I agree. Each year we’re learning more and more about how much scoring point guards give back on the other end as they’re hunted in the playoffs. Steph’s the exception to the rule because he’s really worked on his strength so that he can hold up more than one would expect. Steph and his teammates are also so well-versed in GSW’s schemes that they scram him out of lots of those mismatches in the first place.

Lillard guarantees an offensive foundation and a go-to scorer in the final minutes. But his defensive limitations and decreasing reliability with age mean Portland will make it to those minutes in worse shape than in the past. You aren’t building a defensive foundation that gives you a chance every game.
SatchSanders
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#6 » by SatchSanders » Sat Jul 2, 2022 7:20 pm

perempe20 wrote:I would trade Lillard in a heartbeat.

At Lillard’s age I agree. Each year we’re learning more and more about how much scoring point guards give back on the other end as they’re hunted in the playoffs. Steph’s the exception to the rule because he’s really worked on his strength so that he can hold up more than one would expect. Steph and his teammates are also so well-versed in GSW’s schemes that they scram him out of lots of those mismatches in the first place.

Lillard guarantees an offensive foundation and a go-to scorer in the final minutes. But his defensive limitations and decreasing reliability with age mean Portland will make it to those minutes in worse shape than in the past. You aren’t building a defensive foundation that gives you a chance every game.
fredweis
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#7 » by fredweis » Sun Jul 3, 2022 4:49 am

Blazers got to make the most of their core and strike while the iron is hot. Go get Kyrie and either Joe Harris or Seth Curry. They got Jerami Grant for 1 year, Dame ain’t getting younger, Nursic is healthy.

Swing for the fences, do what have to do to match salaries (get other trade partners) and give the Nets Shaedon Sharpe. Win now or hold onto Sharpe? When he’s 24 and developed Dame be retiring.

Return to Wiretap Discussion