Raptors Unwilling To Trade Scottie Barnes To Nets For Kevin Durant

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Raptors Unwilling To Trade Scottie Barnes To Nets For Kevin Durant 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:01 pm

The Toronto Raptors are unwilling to trade Scottie Barnes in a package to the Brooklyn Nets for Kevin Durant, multiple sources tell Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

Zach Lowe indicated this week on his podcast that he's uncertain on whether the Raptors would include Barnes based on the conversations he's had, while Brian Windhorst also speculates the Raptors would not trade Barnes for Durant.

Barnes is entering his second NBA season after winning Rookie of the Year and projects as one of the league's most promising two-way stars. 

The Raptors have been described as "lurking" in Durant trade talks as they were not on his initial list of preferred. teams.

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

rgm70
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: Raptors Unwilling To Trade Scottie Barnes To Nets For Kevin Durant 

Post#2 » by rgm70 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:30 pm

No Scottie Barnes, no Kevin Durant. Brooklyn ain't dealing Durant to Toronto without Scottie Barnes in the deal.
ChaiSudle
Freshman
And1: 98

Post#3 » by ChaiSudle » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:41 pm

I never know whether to believe Jake Fischer stories
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,648

Post#4 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:42 pm

You didn't need either of these two to tell you that to know that.

And they aren't giving up players and 6 picks either. Nobody is. Nets fans are setting themselves up for massive disappointment.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#5 » by Jstock12 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:50 pm

Yeah I'm not trading Barnes for Durant if I'm Toronto. Keep searching Brooklyn!
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#6 » by nedleeds » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:54 pm

34 year old going on 35 with a re-attached achilles. Yeah no thanks. Here's Pascal Siakam. Enjoy.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Thrilla4Manila
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#7 » by Thrilla4Manila » Wed Jul 6, 2022 4:59 pm

In Masai we trust! Glad they made it clear Scottie was untouchable, would hate to see him take over the league in a BK jersey.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,224

Post#8 » by goinrogue » Wed Jul 6, 2022 5:00 pm

I feel like other raptors don’t get the attention they deserve because they play in Canada. Pascal siakam is a great player who was third team all nba. Fred van vleet plus Gary Trent and picks is respectable. Trent actually put up similar numbers as Poole, but he’s actually a way better defender. If Gary Trent played in golden state, people would be calling him a future star.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#9 » by mihaic » Wed Jul 6, 2022 5:14 pm

rgm70 wrote:No Scottie Barnes, no Kevin Durant. Brooklyn ain't dealing Durant to Toronto without Scottie Barnes in the deal.

OK, Sean Marks, you can keep Durant, he'll be thrilled and raring to go with Ben & Kyrie
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#10 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jul 6, 2022 5:15 pm

After all that nonsense with the FVV extension, OG, etc
Its hard to take Jake Fischer that seriously when it comes to Raptors news.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#11 » by deeps6x » Wed Jul 6, 2022 7:19 pm

Well duh, of course they aren't trading Scottie Barnes for KD. They need his rookie contract to balance out KD's max deal. They sure as hell won't go deep into the tax, even with KD. Team is too cheap. And they sure aren't giving up picks or swaps past the end of KD's contract.

KD may well be worth more than the 5 non-lottery picks Minny surrendered for Gobert, but OG+GTJ could probably be traded for 3 FRPs themselves. If the Nets don't want these two players, maybe rope in a third team to give up the picks, then have the Raptors toss in three more. Is KD, at 34 to 38 yrs old, worth six unprotected first round picks? I honestly can't see him getting more than that.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#12 » by Dennis 37 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 8:06 pm

deeps6x wrote:Well duh, of course they aren't trading Scottie Barnes for KD. They need his rookie contract to balance out KD's max deal. They sure as hell won't go deep into the tax, even with KD. Team is too cheap. And they sure aren't giving up picks or swaps past the end of KD's contract.

KD may well be worth more than the 5 non-lottery picks Minny surrendered for Gobert, but OG+GTJ could probably be traded for 3 FRPs themselves. If the Nets don't want these two players, maybe rope in a third team to give up the picks, then have the Raptors toss in three more. Is KD, at 34 to 38 yrs old, worth six unprotected first round picks? I honestly can't see him getting more than that.

They're not cheap. Not including Barnes in any KD trade has more to do with he being the ROY in a very talented draft class. You don't trade over a decade of his contribution for 4 years of KD. Will KD still be today's KD in his 4th year.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,090

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 8:32 pm

rgm70 wrote:No Scottie Barnes, no Kevin Durant. Brooklyn ain't dealing Durant to Toronto without Scottie Barnes in the deal.

The Nets aren't exactly in the drivers seat on this. Yeah they can keep KD but I'm not sure a sulking and belligerent KD is what the Nets want to be keeping.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,090

Post#14 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 8:34 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
deeps6x wrote:Well duh, of course they aren't trading Scottie Barnes for KD. They need his rookie contract to balance out KD's max deal. They sure as hell won't go deep into the tax, even with KD. Team is too cheap. And they sure aren't giving up picks or swaps past the end of KD's contract.

They're not cheap. Not including Barnes in any KD trade has more to do with he being the ROY in a very talented draft class. You don't trade over a decade of his contribution for 4 years of KD. Will KD still be today's KD in his 4th year.

Yeah you have no idea what KD will be like even 2 years from now much less 4 years. Nor are the Nets in the driving seat on this. If there's another team out there nutty enough to match or exceed a package that starts with Scottie Barnes then I'd say "good luck KD with that other team" if I was Masai.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#15 » by njknicks » Wed Jul 6, 2022 10:19 pm

KD is going to be 34 @ start of next season ... with 4 years on his contract remaining.

He is on the wrong side of 30, coming off of a near career ending injury and a massive contract extention.

The longer the Kyrie / Durant saga continues ... the less value the Nets will get in return overall.

Will be interesting to see what team(s) blink first.
WWSRD
Starter
And1: 2,483

Post#16 » by WWSRD » Thu Jul 7, 2022 2:56 am

Yes. They will.
Sushimon
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#17 » by Sushimon » Thu Jul 7, 2022 5:14 am

Barnes will be better than Durant in 2 years. No deal.

Return to Wiretap Discussion