Re: Rockets Made Trade Offer To Magic Once Paolo Banchero Emerged As No. 1 Pick

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Rockets Made Trade Offer To Magic Once Paolo Banchero Emerged As No. 1 Pick 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 8, 2022 2:05 am

The Houston Rockets reached out to the Orlando Magic about a trade up once they were convinced Paolo Banchero would be selected at No. 1, sources told ESPN. 

For weeks, Jabari Smith was mocked to go to the Magic at No. 1, followed by Chet Holmgren to the Oklahoma City Thunder at No. 2, and Banchero to the Rockets at No. 3.

"We didn't know [Orlando was taking Banchero] until 10 minutes before the draft," Rockets general manager Rafael Stone said.

"I didn't hear from the Magic telling me for sure until a few minutes before," said Mike Miller, Banchero's agent.

The Rockets wouldn't have made an offer if they were certain Smith would slide to them at No. 3. Houston was concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to process his medical information.

"When [the odds] shifted, we noted it," Stone said. "If people are willing to put their money on it, especially when you see a big swing like that, it feels like maybe somebody knows something."

Houston hadn't met with Smith before the draft, though they'd done extensive scouting and research on him. 

Via Brian Windhorst, Tim Bontemps/ESPN

FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 631

Post#2 » by FeatheryTouch » Fri Jul 8, 2022 5:31 am

"Houston was concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to process his medical information."

I don't understand this at all.

If you have the 3rd pick in the draft, why aren't you doing due diligence on every scenario and possible player that could fall to you? That means ALL your homework should be done for the top 3 players at bare minimum. The Rockets had plenty of time to process information before the draft, and yet they were surprised by the Orlando pick and hadn't finished their medical evaluation of Holmgren at draft time?

There were a limited amount of scenarios concerning the order at the top of the draft, and still the Rockets were unprepared for the possibility of Holmgren at 3?

They didn't meet with Smith either?

Terrible look for the Houston front office.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 8, 2022 7:33 am

FeatheryTouch wrote:"Houston was concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to process his medical information."

If you have the 3rd pick in the draft, why aren't you doing due diligence on every scenario and possible player that could fall to you? That means ALL your homework should be done for the top 3 players at bare minimum. The Rockets had plenty of time to process information before the draft, and yet they were surprised by the Orlando pick and hadn't finished their medical evaluation of Holmgren at draft time?

There were a limited amount of scenarios concerning the order at the top of the draft, and still the Rockets were unprepared for the possibility of Holmgren at 3?

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Holmgren didn't release his medicals to Houston.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,060

Post#4 » by FJS » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:45 am

FeatheryTouch wrote:"Houston was concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to process his medical information."

That's it.
Scenario A, then B, then C. Even D, E and F if A, B and C have something that made them unable to play anymore.

I think there's no room from improvisation or surprises with months before draft.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 144

Post#5 » by Rashidi » Fri Jul 8, 2022 4:16 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Holmgren didn't release his medicals to Houston.

Correct, Holmgren was dead set on OKC.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,429

Post#6 » by bisme37 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 5:26 pm

Why the heck would the Rockets go on record saying they didn't want the guy they just drafted?
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 223

Post#7 » by supertruck97 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 8:09 pm

bisme37 wrote:Why the heck would the Rockets go on record saying they didn't want the guy they just drafted?

That's not what the quotes said. Rockets wanted either Banchero or Smith. With the conventional expected draft order of Smith-Chet-Banchero; they were fairly certain that if Orlando took Smith, that OKC preferred Chet to Banchero, and thus Banchero would be the guy at #3. When Orlando flipped the script to Banchero at #1, the Rockets were worried that OKC may prefer Smith at #2, leaving Houston with Chet.

The Rockets wouldn't have made an offer if they were certain Smith would slide to them at No. 3. Houston was concerned about having to make a decision on Holmgren without time to process his medical information.

Chet didn't release any of his medical info to the Rockets, nor did he meet with them.

The worst case scenario for the Rockets was Banchero-Smith going 1-2 and Rocket's having to draft Chet on little to no information. Hence the trade offer to try to mitigate that risk.

Luckily for all involved, OKC stuck with their guy, and the Rocket's didn't have to make a snap decision.
supertruck97
Veteran
And1: 223

Post#8 » by supertruck97 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 8:39 pm

Smith refused to meet with them, because he thought there was no way he'd fall past #2.
His decision not to meet with the Rockets is not a knock against the organization. As the concurrence top prospect, Smith will undoubtedly be the first player taken off the draft board as the top overall pick. But should the Magic choose one of Smith's counterparts over his services, the 6-foot-10 forward will likely fall to the Thunder.

Chet didn't give the Rockets anything medical to evaluate. Nor did he work out for or interview with them.
“I also heard that Holmgren has not provided teams medical information (at least most of the teams), and did not do the NBA’s heart screening. That could suggest that his agents are trying to manipulate the draft and direct (Holmgren) to a specific spot, which is probably the most likely scenario.

Kind of hard to be prepared for Option B and C, when those options refuse to meet with you and provide you the information necessary for an evaluation...
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,896

Post#9 » by mastermixer » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:15 pm

It should be in the next cba that these players have to disclose their medicals to the NBA itself in order to join the Draft and the NBA distributes it to all the teams.

No more of the these player’s agents choosing which team gets what Info on their player.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#10 » by shadrock » Sat Jul 9, 2022 1:46 pm

Thats because Paolo was never available at #1! The Magic were simply trying to gauge if They could bait the Rockets, or any other team, into trading into #1 to take Jabari. As soon as they realised that wasnt possible, they reveal their true true intentions which was to take Paolo. Pretty simple.

The literal ONLY scenario where the #1 pick is traded is if the Magic pick Jabari, trade him immediately to Houston, who then pick Paolo for Orlando. Thats it. The Magic had nothing to lose. They tried this scenario, it didnt eventuate, no issue, just take you boy anyway.

Return to Wiretap Discussion