Deandre Ayton Signs Four-Year, $133M Offer Sheet With Pacers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Deandre Ayton Signs Four-Year, $133M Offer Sheet With Pacers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:01 pm

Deandre Ayton has signed a four-year, $133 million maximum offer sheet with the Indiana Pacers.

elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Re: Deandre Ayton Signs Four-Year, $133M Offer Sheet With Pacers 

Post#2 » by elmdawgg69 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:25 pm

I’m not sure what Indiana is doing here. Maybe drive up Ayton’s value in a rebuild and trade him for more assets?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:33 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:I’m not sure what Indiana is doing here. Maybe drive up Ayton’s value in a rebuild and trade him for more assets?

I think Phoenix matches. The owner was too cheap to sign Ayton to the 5 year max deal he wanted but he is also too cheap to let him walk for nothing. If Suns match they have Ayton locked in at a discount 4 year max that is cheaper than the 5 year deals recently inked by his draft classmates in Luka, SGA and Trae that includes incentives that trigger more money if they make all-nba teams or are voted in as ASG starters.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:54 pm

Sam195 wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:I’m not sure what Indiana is doing here. Maybe drive up Ayton’s value in a rebuild and trade him for more assets?

I think Phoenix matches. The owner was too cheap to sign Ayton to the 5 year max deal he wanted but he is also too cheap to let him walk for nothing. If Suns match they have Ayton locked in at a discount 4 year max that is cheaper than the 5 year deals recently inked by his draft classmates in Luka, SGA and Trae that includes incentives that trigger more money if they make all-nba teams or are voted in as ASG starters.

I hope for the Sun's sake they don't match. He isn't worth this kind of money; it's not really even close. Calling it a discount because he could have signed for more implies that 90% of NBA players are playing at a discount. Comparing him to Luka, Trae and even SGA is flawed. Those are the engines that drive the train. Ayton is a passenger. IND is a lottery team, with or without him. The Suns are contenders, with or without him.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#5 » by dubbmotta » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:57 pm

Sam195 wrote:

I agree, if they don't match might as well break up the team.Lose DA they have no post prescene and not cap room to sign a post player. And it's only 4 years, it'll go by fast, DA still young and has room to improve.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 369

Post#6 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:22 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Yea I agree I think this may have been Phoenix' strategy all along, allow Ayton to sign an offer sheet that is worth much less than the max that Phoenix could pay him outright. I am have not looked at Phoenix' cap and really crunched the numbers to see if this puts them in the tax or not but to me if Sarver does not match this, then he really is a "cheap" owner.
I don't expect our offense to get any better under this limp dick management.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#7 » by YourGM99 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:26 pm

Sam195 wrote:

If Ayton was able to negotiate a player option in the 4 year deal then the suns are just kicking the can down the road for 3 years. They will end up paying even more if they decided to resign him at that point because the salary cap will have increased a lot by the time his contract is over.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#8 » by puja21 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:30 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

I hope for the Sun's sake they don't match. He isn't worth this kind of money; it's not really even close. Calling it a discount because he could have signed for more implies that 90% of NBA players are playing at a discount. Comparing him to Luka, Trae and even SGA is flawed. Those are the engines that drive the train. Ayton is a passenger. IND is a lottery team, with or without him. The Suns are contenders, with or without him.

You think the Suns are contenders w/o Ayton? Hm

Are you assuming a capable replacement player takes that salary slot somehow?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#9 » by Lalouie » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:45 pm

so am i right....if phx doesn't match they lose him for nothing, so they have to match to retain him and then trade him.

is that right?

because indy will regret paying him. and phx is well rid of him. so sayeth monty and cp3
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#10 » by the_process » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:43 pm

Sam195 wrote:

There’s nothing discount about it. That being said, PHX kind of has to match now. He’s too big an asset to lose for nothing in the middle of a small contention window just because of money. Sarver can save money later.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#11 » by the_process » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:44 pm

the_process wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

There’s nothing discount about it. That being said, PHX kind of has to match now. He’s too big an asset to lose for nothing in the middle of a small contention window just because of money. Sarver can save money later.

I’m surprised they couldn’t work out a Turner for Ayton deal. That should have been easy.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#12 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:31 pm

Does Ayton even want to stay in PHX? I mean, $133 million will heal any bruised ego, but the fact that the Suns didn’t offer him this same deal has to sting a bit.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#13 » by deeps6x » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:23 am

OH ITS ON! The Nets are feeling the pressure now! That four team Nets/Pacers/Suns/Jazz trade on ESPN has to be being strongly considered/debated now. As soon as Ayton signs the offer sheet, it can't happen, and he probably signs it in the morning.

Nets and Jazz phones gotta be ringing off the hook right now.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:32 am

puja21 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

You think the Suns are contenders w/o Ayton? Hm

Are you assuming a capable replacement player takes that salary slot somehow?

I don't think we will know because they will likely match. But yes, I think the Suns are contenders w/o Ayton. He isn't elite at anything and has done nothing to justify that contract. I mean, he's a center that finished behind Carmelo Anthony in blocks and steals last season... and Melo only played 26 MPG. Ayton is replaceable.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#15 » by deeps6x » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:00 am

Oh damn, that was fast. Signed and matched already.

I thought for sure we'd still get a KD/Mitchell/Ayton/Simmons kind of four team trade happening. Off the table now until Jan 15th.

Suns matching was just something they HAD to do. Can't lose a first overall pick for nothing.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#16 » by puja21 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:58 pm

deeps6x wrote:Oh damn, that was fast. Signed and matched already.

I thought for sure we'd still get a KD/Mitchell/Ayton/Simmons kind of four team trade happening. Off the table now until Jan 15th.

Suns matching was just something they HAD to do. Can't lose a first overall pick for nothing.

Read on Twitter
?s=10&t=APKjkanGb0zleS7iYto8wA

Return to Wiretap Discussion