Suns Told Deandre Ayton Throughout Free Agency They Planned To Keep Him

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns Told Deandre Ayton Throughout Free Agency They Planned To Keep Him 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:04 pm

Deandre Ayton will remain with the Phoenix Suns after they matched a four-year, $133 million maximum offer sheet he signed with the Indiana Pacers. Phoenix never made an offer to Ayton.

"This is a blessing," Ayton told ESPN's Andscape in a phone conversation after signing his contract. "This contract not only has generational impact for my family, but also with the way we are able to work in the Phoenix community and home in the Bahamas. That is the things that we go by ...

"I've come to understand that this is a business. So, I was more anxious to know the end of the result so I could focus, move on and just get back to work. I just treated everything like a business. Just keep being professional, approach everything with professionalism and not looking too deep into it."

James Jones said he told Ayton through the entire free agency process that he planned to re-sign him, including during a videoconference on July 1. James also told ESPN's Andscape that it was "important" and "critical" to match immediately.

"We wanted Deandre here," Jones said in a phone interview. "He's vital to what we do, at the core of everything that we do. And throughout this whole process it was, it rang true. We wanted to keep him here, and the moment we can come to an agreement, we would. So, waiting 24 hours, 48 hours, that wasn't something we needed to do because going into it, we knew this is where he wanted to be and where we wanted him to be.

"I'm one to just be direct. And if you're convicted, if you know what you want to do, you do it. But if there's any doubt from anyone that we wanted him, I think that the matching did that. It was urgent for us. It was important. It was critical for us. So, we just wanted to make sure that we handled our business quickly."

Jones noted "negotiation" as the reason the Suns didn't offer a maximum contract to Ayton. Phoenix saved roughly $43 million and an extra year of contract with the matched offer sheet.

"I'm not going to go into the inner details," Jones said. "I just look forward. We had some really robust and good conversations. It ultimately led to him getting a max offer sheet that we matched."

Via Marc J. Spears/Andscape

slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 397

Re: Suns Told Deandre Ayton Throughout Free Agency They Planned To Keep Him 

Post#2 » by slickrickstyles » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:08 pm

and this is not information he can share with Indiana before signing the offer sheet? Seems like the Pacers did this in a PR move.
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,153

Post#3 » by Darthlukey » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:40 pm

slickrickstyles wrote:and this is not information he can share with Indiana before signing the offer sheet? Seems like the Pacers did this in a PR move.

He actually might have. It's still in the pacers interest to offer him a big deal which forces another team to match it
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#4 » by Phystic » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:48 pm

slickrickstyles wrote:and this is not information he can share with Indiana before signing the offer sheet? Seems like the Pacers did this in a PR move.

Not sure why he would provide that information to Indiana. I'm sure most teams tell their RFAs and their suitors that they plan to match.

Can't imagine it would change anything for Indiana as they lost nothing in trying
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#5 » by Elnegron » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:26 pm

That was the back up plan in case they missed on a sign and trade. They literally offered him in the kd deal :lol:
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#6 » by dubbmotta » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:00 pm

More teams should do this, let a player go find a contract and match. Lot of overpaid players coming off that rookie deal.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,647

Post#7 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:20 pm

So all the opinions of how the Suns have mishandled free agency were wrong. They still have the team together that went to the Finals then had the best season record. They are doing fine
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#8 » by Young gun 6 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:30 pm

Phystic wrote:

Not sure why he would provide that information to Indiana. I'm sure most teams tell their RFAs and their suitors that they plan to match.

Can't imagine it would change anything for Indiana as they lost nothing in trying

They actually lost their Trade Exception, Brogdon and waived 4 players to be able to offer him that deal..
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#9 » by Phystic » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:37 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:
Phystic wrote:

They actually lost their Trade Exception, Brogdon and waived 4 players to be able to offer him that deal..

Brogdon was on his way out either way from what I had read.

As far as the others, were any of those being used.? Had never heard of those.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#10 » by dougthonus » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:00 am

Darthlukey wrote:

He actually might have. It's still in the pacers interest to offer him a big deal which forces another team to match it

It's not really in the Pacers interest, and they made a bunch of cap moves to stretch contracts over the long term negatively impacting their future books to do this and got nothing out of it. That's the risk they took, but they definitely are hurt by this situation overall not helped.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:03 am

Pretty hilarious that James Jones said it was his intention to keep Ayton all along like this was some big favor but then made him go prove it by getting an offer somewhere else. Jones could have just given him the offer straight up, but instead, they wanted to lowball him.

All in the name of business, but I'd be rolling my eyes if I were Ayton and Jones tried to give me that speech. A bit of me would definitely be like F you man. You could have just signed me.

That said, I'm sure those feelings are fleeting. No way he'd rather legitimately be in Indiana. I'm sure he's glad it was matched.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#12 » by niha17 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:31 am

if tis is true i would have played the last year of the deal and walk as a ufa **** the suns They made him go get the deal just to match it
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 397

Post#13 » by slickrickstyles » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:43 am

niha17 wrote:if tis is true i would have played the last year of the deal and walk as a ufa **** the suns They made him go get the deal just to match it

Yep and did it through his agent most likely who is also the agent of Pacers center Myles Turner who is surrounded by trade rumors...The agent was their "in" to phish the Pacers into biting...Atleast it's plausible
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#14 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:20 am

niha17 wrote:if tis is true i would have played the last year of the deal and walk as a ufa **** the suns They made him go get the deal just to match it

No. You wouldn't give up $133M guaranteed to play on a $16M qualifying offer and be one injury away from losing that money you could have secured earlier.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,200

Post#15 » by og15 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:37 am

FAH1223 wrote:

No. You wouldn't give up $133M guaranteed to play on a $16M qualifying offer and be one injury away from losing that money you could have secured earlier.

Yea, and if you had a good agent, they would make sure you don't make such a serious decision out of pettiness.
wesson
Junior
And1: 5

Post#16 » by wesson » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:00 pm

This is how things should always be. You're worth what the market dictates. You shouldn't just get the max amount of dollars "just cuz lol".
"I just have to put the ball in the damn hole"

- Kobe Bryant

Return to Wiretap Discussion