NBA Launches Investigation Of Sixers' Signings Of James Harden, P.J. Tucker, Danuel House

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Launches Investigation Of Sixers' Signings Of James Harden, P.J. Tucker, Danuel House 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:14 am

The NBA has opened an investigation into a possible tampering violation committed by the Philadelphia 76ers centered on their signings of James Harden, P.J. Tucker and Danuel House.

Harden declined his $47 million player option to sign a one-plus-one contract with the 76ers at $33 million in Year 1 to give the team flexibility to sign Tucker and House.

Some have wondered if another deal with Harden is in place for the future, which would be a violation of league rules.

Tucker joined the Sixers from the Miami Heat on a three-year, $33.2 million deal.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: NBA Launches Investigation Of Sixers' Signings Of James Harden, P.J. Tucker, Danuel House 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:24 am

Wondering when the Brunson signing is up for review… surely that was equally as nefarious
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Re: NBA Launches Investigation Of Sixers' Signings Of James Harden, P.J. Tucker, Danuel House 

Post#3 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:56 am

Sit and spin, Barnacle Boy.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,604

Post#4 » by NBA4Lyfe » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:35 am

adam silver still mad about the china comments morey made
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,077

Post#5 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:09 am

this is interesting... obviously they set this all up, but its on the league to prove it. These guys have been friends for a few years so unless theres explicit text messages, not going to be easy. Between this and the ben simmons greivance, philly's lawyers going to have to be more clutch than their players.

If i was them, i would immediately trade a bunch of draft picks so adam cant take them away haha
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,954

Post#6 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:06 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:this is interesting... obviously they set this all up, but its on the league to prove it. These guys have been friends for a few years so unless theres explicit text messages, not going to be easy. Between this and the ben simmons greivance, philly's lawyers going to have to be more clutch than their players.

If i was them, i would immediately trade a bunch of draft picks so adam cant take them away haha

Damn. That’s not now any of that works.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#7 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:06 am

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:07 am

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
MorbidHEAT
Veteran
And1: 5,115

Post#9 » by MorbidHEAT » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:50 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:this is interesting... obviously they set this all up, but its on the league to prove it. These guys have been friends for a few years so unless theres explicit text messages, not going to be easy. Between this and the ben simmons greivance, philly's lawyers going to have to be more clutch than their players.

You think the league office doesn't have to approve every trade? Lol

They obviously tampered. PJ Tucker's contract terms came out like a week before...and that he was leaning towards taking their offer.

James Harden ain't the dude to leave money on the table. He for sure has something on the back end guaranteed.

The leaguenpenalied Miami and Chicago. Philly should also be penalized.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#10 » by WRau1 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:51 pm

The league doesn't have to prove anything, it's what they think happened that will determine punishment.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,077

Post#11 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:26 pm

WRau1 wrote:

The league doesn't have to prove anything, it's what they think happened that will determine punishment.

The nba is too pro player to do anything on just suspicion, or they would have been going after players for tampering as well.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#12 » by WRau1 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:55 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

The nba is too pro player to do anything on just suspicion, or they would have been going after players for tampering as well.

Tell that to the Bucks and Kings.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#13 » by thenbaman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:03 pm

WRau1 wrote:

Take our second round pick next year lol oh boy.
xam2k7
Junior
And1: 23

Post#14 » by xam2k7 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:03 pm

MorbidHEAT wrote:

You think the league office doesn't have to approve every trade? Lol

They obviously tampered. PJ Tucker's contract terms came out like a week before...and that he was leaning towards taking their offer.

James Harden ain't the dude to leave money on the table. He for sure has something on the back end guaranteed.

The leaguenpenalied Miami and Chicago. Philly should also be penalized.

Not sure if Harden actually left money on the table… he obviously is in the middle of a steep decline and saw what happened to players like melo who after their big contract was up and showed signs of decline could only get $2mil a year contracts… he gave up $47mil for 1 year and was afraid he might only get like $11mil the next year as a free agent… and instead got $33mm plus probably $40mil next year… so I think he just guaranteed himself potentially more money in a move that shows maybe even he thinks he’s not as good as he used to be anymore and that others will see it too and not pay him the same anymore
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:06 pm

Did Philly and Harden tamper?

Almost certainly. Is it as bad as agreeing to a future contract now (ie, opt out, and we'll max you for 2 years or something). Maybe not/probably not, but certainly at least this deal was pre-negotiated before he opted out.

Does it matter?

No. As we have seen, all of these guys who are FAs to be are negotiating prior to July 1st. Just go back to not enforcing this rule or make the open official period when a guy's season ends but no deals can be agreed to prior to July 1st.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#16 » by hyberx » Mon Aug 1, 2022 12:07 am

Well it really depends on if that under the table deal is written on paper or digitally somewhere. If yes, then they are in trouble. If it's like Udonis Haslem, despite being 41 years old and playyh about 3 to 60 minutes the whole season, is still being paid as a player by the heat (wink wink "I got you bro" deal), then nothing the league can do about it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion