NBA Opens Investigation Into Potential Tampering Committed By Knicks On Jalen Brunson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Opens Investigation Into Potential Tampering Committed By Knicks On Jalen Brunson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 1, 2022 3:04 pm

The NBA has opened an investigation into possible tampering committed by the New York Knicks and their signing of Jalen Brunson.

Brunson left the Dallas Mavericks on a four-year, $104 million with the Knicks.

Brunson had a number of ties to the Knicks between his father, Rick Brunson, who is an assistant coach, as well as Leon Rose, who is a lifelong friend. Rose's son, Sam Rose, is Brunson's agent.

The Mavericks had a number of opportunities to sign Brunson to a four-year, $55 million extension, but declined until after the trade deadline when it became clear he would receive more lucrative offers on the open market.

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,942

Re: NBA Opens Investigation Into Potential Tampering Committed By Knicks On Jalen Brunson 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 1, 2022 3:34 pm

there we go. let's see what shakes out.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Re: NBA Opens Investigation Into Potential Tampering Committed By Knicks On Jalen Brunson 

Post#3 » by Adam Stern » Mon Aug 1, 2022 4:34 pm

This was inevitable.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#4 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Aug 1, 2022 5:09 pm

Mark Cuban crying for an investigation, after all the tampering done through Parsons back in the day.

Can only blame himself for not signing Brunson when he could.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#5 » by Barcs » Mon Aug 1, 2022 5:19 pm

They will fine the Knicks whether there is evidence or not. The NBA is trash, they always assume guilty until proven innocent. Tampering is a joke.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 1, 2022 5:48 pm

Barcs wrote:They will fine the Knicks whether there is evidence or not. The NBA is trash, they always assume guilty until proven innocent. Tampering is a joke.

I don't know what kind of evidence is in place for any of these things, but do you really believe the Knicks weren't talking to Brunson prior to making a bunch of moves to free up space to make him an offer? I mean of course they were. Just like of course Harden/Morey talked illegally about what would happen if Harden opted out. Just like of course the Bulls contacted Lonzo Ball early last year, just like of course every team does this.

So yeah, tampering is a joke, but of course the Knicks are guilty of this.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
brooklynbrawler
Junior
And1: 350

Post#7 » by brooklynbrawler » Mon Aug 1, 2022 6:21 pm

Is it really considered tampering to talk to your dad about your career :lol:
Please........... no more
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 1, 2022 6:34 pm

You don't hire Leon Rose and World Wide Wes to run your organization unless your business plan is built around tampering, but I've got to imagine Dolan had his sights set a bit higher than Jalen Brunson at $25M/year.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#9 » by BigTex » Mon Aug 1, 2022 7:08 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Mark Cuban crying for an investigation, after all the tampering done through Parsons back in the day.

Actually, I think that the Mavericks announced that they didn't plan to ask the NBA to investigate. Truthfully, I think trying to enforce that rule is so difficult, and the penalties that have been issues so minor, that it's not worth the trouble of having the rule.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#10 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Aug 1, 2022 8:11 pm

BigTex wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:Mark Cuban crying for an investigation, after all the tampering done through Parsons back in the day.

Actually, I think that the Mavericks announced that they didn't plan to ask the NBA to investigate. Truthfully, I think trying to enforce that rule is so difficult, and the penalties that have been issues so minor, that it's not worth the trouble of having the rule.

They are doing the same with harden... something bigger is going on here
Nbafan91729
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#11 » by Nbafan91729 » Mon Aug 1, 2022 8:22 pm

BigTex wrote:

The Mavs didn't request the investigation because Cuban said they wouldn't gain anything from it. Other teams were upset because of how blatant New York was about the tampering. They don't want this to happen to them in the future, that's why they complained to the NBA.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#12 » by deeps6x » Mon Aug 1, 2022 9:30 pm

Just so I'm clear about this, a player for a team, isn't a representative for the team, as far as tampering goes right? That's how LeBron gets away with recruiting right, (assuming that is what he actually does), but a coach IS a representative, as far as tampering goes, so that is why Jalen couldn't just tell his dad he was coming to the Knicks? Have I got that right?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by dougthonus » Tue Aug 2, 2022 12:43 am

deeps6x wrote:Just so I'm clear about this, a player for a team, isn't a representative for the team, as far as tampering goes right? That's how LeBron gets away with recruiting right, (assuming that is what he actually does), but a coach IS a representative, as far as tampering goes, so that is why Jalen couldn't just tell his dad he was coming to the Knicks? Have I got that right?

Player's technically can't recruit either, but players don't have all of their communication saved, so there is no evidence and the burden of proof is too high to enforce and the rule is worded more vaguely around them.
@doug_thonus on twitter
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#14 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Aug 2, 2022 2:16 am

dougthonus wrote:
Barcs wrote:They will fine the Knicks whether there is evidence or not. The NBA is trash, they always assume guilty until proven innocent. Tampering is a joke.

I don't know what kind of evidence is in place for any of these things, but do you really believe the Knicks weren't talking to Brunson prior to making a bunch of moves to free up space to make him an offer? I mean of course they were. Just like of course Harden/Morey talked illegally about what would happen if Harden opted out. Just like of course the Bulls contacted Lonzo Ball early last year, just like of course every team does this.

Clearing cap room for Free agency isn’t an indictment of tampering . It’s business as usual in the nba .
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#15 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Aug 2, 2022 6:33 am

Cuban an 'nem didn't have to rat to the League office to open an investigation. Mofos out hur dry snitching constantly.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Post#16 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Aug 2, 2022 8:38 am

the whole rule is useless.

in any business on the free market people are getting poached. Tampering is a natural thing and you will never be able to stop that.

just let teams and other players approach porential free agent targets because thats whats gonna happen anyway and is only natural.
im bout dat action boss
Pr0nzingis
Sophomore
And1: 192

Post#17 » by Pr0nzingis » Tue Aug 2, 2022 9:59 am

dougthonus wrote:

Still waiting for the league investigation into the Heat... "Nothing is Given. Everything is Earned"
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#18 » by dougthonus » Tue Aug 2, 2022 12:53 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:Clearing cap room for Free agency isn’t an indictment of tampering . It’s business as usual in the nba .

Is it your opinion that the Knicks weren't talking to Brunson early?
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Tue Aug 2, 2022 12:54 pm

Pr0nzingis wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Still waiting for the league investigation into the Heat... "Nothing is Given. Everything is Earned"

Over what? They were investigated last year for Lowry and docked a 2nd round pick.
@doug_thonus on twitter
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#20 » by nedleeds » Tue Aug 2, 2022 1:27 pm

Our pobo is his agent and owns a large stake in caa, its always tampering, so is Donovan Mitchell.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.

Return to Wiretap Discussion