Spurs To Play Two Home Games In Austin, One In Mexico City

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Spurs To Play Two Home Games In Austin, One In Mexico City 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 pm

The San Antonio Spurs will play a pair of home games during the 22-23 season in Austin and one in Mexico City. They will also play a game at the Alamodome in honor of the team's 50th anniversary.

“Hosting these four games is part of our vision to purposefully engage and celebrate our entire Spurs following from Mexico to Austin, while fostering the next generation of fans,” said RC Buford, CEO for Spurs Sports & Entertainment. “Playing in front of our Austin fans for the first time ever during the regular season, returning to Mexico City and hosting a historic celebration in the Alamodome will each be exciting moments for our entire organization. We are grateful for our loyal supporters throughout our entire region and are thrilled for the opportunity to play in front of them as part of our 50th anniversary season.”

The Spurs remaining 37 home games will be played at the AT&T Center in San Antonio.

Via RealGM Staff Report

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Re: Spurs To Play Two Home Games In Austin, One In Mexico City 

Post#2 » by HotelVitale » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 pm

Interesting, guessing they've been seeing the need to market themselves more widely in part because they're not good anymore (and probably won't be for a long time). SA is a tiny market and Austin is close, wealthier, and just as big so that seems like a good investment, and I guess they have the best claim to being Mexico's team (though Mexicans have adopted a lot of other teams and don't seem attached to the Spurs in my experience). Wouldn't be surprised if they keep pushing this over the years.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:37 pm

Is this the NBA giving Pop a reason to hang 'em up?... Maybe? :lol:
SpudWilkins
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#4 » by SpudWilkins » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:39 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Is this the NBA giving Pop a reason to hang 'em up?... Maybe? :lol:

This was requested by the Spurs and had to be approved by the league and city of SA.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:06 am

SpudWilkins wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Is this the NBA giving Pop a reason to hang 'em up?... Maybe? :lol:

This was requested by the Spurs and had to be approved by the league and city of SA.

Don't ever spoil my sarcasm with facts!
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 727

Post#6 » by kacey ring » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:42 am

I wish more NBA teams would do this. I know preseason games are played at out of market cities sometimes, but c’mon it’s not the same.

I definitely would have gone to more NBA games if I didn’t have to travel 3.5+ hours. I’m sure some fans have to travel even further.

Return to Wiretap Discussion