NBA Initiated Tampering Investigation On 76ers, Knicks With Findings Expected Within Weeks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Initiated Tampering Investigation On 76ers, Knicks With Findings Expected Within Weeks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:01 am

The NBA initiated its investigations on potential tampering conducted this offseason by the Philadelphia 76ers and New York Knicks as it was not based on a complaint from a team.

"The statuses of those investigations are ongoing. Hopefully they’ll be wrapped up in the next few weeks," said Adam Silver.

"I think what prompted them was sort of just the tick-tock chronology around sort of when signings are permissible and the announcements of those signings and the information that came out about them, which was cause for the league office to investigate."

Last year, the Miami Heat and Chicago Bulls were each forced to forfeit a second round pick due to tampering charges. 

Via RealGM Staff Report

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,086

Re: NBA Initiated Tampering Investigation On 76ers, Knicks With Findings Expected Within Weeks 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:14 am

philly might get some historic penalties. James harden PJ tucker, Danuel house Those guys are all incredibly close to daryl morey.
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 740

Re: NBA Initiated Tampering Investigation On 76ers, Knicks With Findings Expected Within Weeks 

Post#3 » by kacey ring » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:49 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:philly might get some historic penalties. James harden PJ tucker, Danuel house Those guys are all incredibly close to daryl morey.

“NBA announces that the 76ers are banned from the NBA for one year…”
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#4 » by BigHustle » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:29 pm

“NBA announces that the punishment will be the team accepting back Ben Simmons with open arms. Mr. Simmons must be allowed to take 1 open layup each game or PHILA will lose 3 FRP. “.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#5 » by shrink » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:33 pm

Since the NBA set the precedent that the price of tampering is just a second round pick, it is certainly worth the cost to tamper, even if you get caught.

If the league was serious about tampering, and I’m not sure they should be, they would assign legitimate penalties.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,782

Post#6 » by Zeno » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:52 pm

shrink wrote:Since the NBA set the precedent that the price of tampering is just a second round pick, it is certainly worth the cost to tamper, even if you get caught.

If the league was serious about tampering, and I’m not sure they should be, they would assign legitimate penalties.

There are, I assume, levels to tampering that would justify more severe penalties than a 2nd rounder. Miami and Chicago were pure “jump the gun” type tampering. The Philly, NY ones have the potential to be much more harsh infractions if they can be proved.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:07 pm

Adam Silver has gotten some things right, however, recently he's been doing A LOT of damage to the brand of basketball. No games on election night? Having teams only forfeit a 2nd round draft pick, for tampering? Man, sh.t like this would never happen in the days of David Stern. #RIPDavidStern you are greatly missed.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#8 » by Barcs » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:02 pm

Guarantee the Knicks will be punished despite no evidence.

And why aren't the Nets being investigated over KD & Kyrie? There were rumors about them going to NY long before the off season. Oh I know why, because Adam Silver LOVES super teams, so no investigation needed. But there were Brunson rumors, so that must mean the Knicks tampered, RIGHT? NBA sucks. Used to be my favorite sport, now it's just a joke and I'm pretty sure the draft lottery is rigged regardless.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#9 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:25 pm

When will the NBA penalize agents, players and the media, as they all have a role in it.
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#10 » by chipchipperson » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:30 pm

Barcs wrote:Guarantee the Knicks will be punished despite no evidence.

And why aren't the Nets being investigated over KD & Kyrie? There were rumors about them going to NY long before the off season. Oh I know why, because Adam Silver LOVES super teams, so no investigation needed. But there were Brunson rumors, so that must mean the Knicks tampered, RIGHT? NBA sucks. Used to be my favorite sport, now it's just a joke and I'm pretty sure the draft lottery is rigged regardless.

Are you accusing KD and Kyrie of tampering or the Nets and Knicks of tampering to try to sign them? Because there's nothing to suggest that either team tampered at all.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#11 » by NYKat » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:40 am

definitely and they'll probably face stiffer penalties than other teams #Knickstax
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#12 » by Risk Addict » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:32 pm

NYKat wrote:

definitely and they'll probably face stiffer penalties than other teams #Knickstax

I suspect penalties will increase, but not to “get” the knicks. More so bc the previous penalties didn’t change any behaviours
Barcs
Veteran

Post#13 » by Barcs » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:06 pm

chipchipperson wrote:

Are you accusing KD and Kyrie of tampering or the Nets and Knicks of tampering to try to sign them? Because there's nothing to suggest that either team tampered at all.

Well, people accused the Knicks of tampering simply because it looked "bad" going to a Mavs playoff game and there being rumors about the contract prior to the "tampering period." If that's enough to investigate the Knicks, than the leaks of KD & Kyrie wanted to team up and go to NY, should have warranted the same. Tampering is such a dumb rule, it's gotta go. I don't think either team tampered, but even if they did I don't give a ****.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#14 » by Barcs » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:10 pm

Risk Addict wrote:
NYKat wrote:

I suspect penalties will increase, but not to “get” the knicks. More so bc the previous penalties didn’t change any behaviours

The problem is they punish people for nonsense. IE a reporter asks a coach or GM about a certain player, and he says, "Yes, he's a great player, I wish he wasn't against us" and that is considered tampering. It's the dumbest rule in the NBA. Who cares if people talk about other players while under contract when questioned? To the NBA it's about optics and nothing more. Silver didn't like Knicks staff at that one playoff game, for no reason other than it's the knicks.

Return to Wiretap Discussion