Suns' Minority Owner Jahm Najafi Calls For Robert Sarver's Resignation

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns' Minority Owner Jahm Najafi Calls For Robert Sarver's Resignation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:41 am

Phoenix Suns vice chairman and minority owner Jahm Najafi called for Robert Sarver's resignation in an open letter to team employees on Thursday night.

Najafi is the second-largest stakeholder in the team.

"I cannot in good judgment sit back and allow our children and future generations of fans to think that this behavior is tolerated because of wealth and privilege. Therefore, in accordance with my commitment to helping eradicate any form of racism, sexism and bias, as Vice Chairman of the Phoenix Suns, I am calling for the resignation of Robert Sarver," wrote Najafi in the letter.

Najafi added that he had no interest in becoming the managing partner of the team. 

Sarver was suspended for one year and fined $10 million following an investigation into toxic workplace issues under his ownership. 

The league granted minority owner Sam Garvin the authority to act as interim governor

Via Baxter Holmes/ESPN

alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Suns' Minority Owner Jahm Najafi Calls For Robert Sarver's Resignation 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:17 pm

He's already being punished. Trying to cancel him just shows how sick-minded YOU are.
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#3 » by TheHrvReport » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:32 pm

Do people really believe this? I'm sure he cares about the influence this guy has on "children and future generations" :wink: NO. He wants a bigger CUT of the PIE $
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#4 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Lol, this is getting funnier with each news :lol:

But what about the chiiiiildren, what about our future generations?

This evil racist man is destroying NBA and everything we've worked for

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,757

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:08 pm

I think it's a fairly reasonable ask relative to what would happen in most business situations.

The CEO of most companies would resign in this situation. That doesn't force him to sell, it means he doesn't get to make the decisions and lead the organization anymore.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#6 » by YourGM99 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:53 pm

Are we supposed to believe that Jahm Najafi had no clue what was going on within the Suns organization? I mean, he is part of the ownership. Nonetheless, I completely agree Saver needs to resign and he should follow suit and they can bring in an entire new group of owners.
flagstaff
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#7 » by flagstaff » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:53 pm

I spent 15 minutes searching about when he became part of the ownership group with no luck. Curious if/when he knew anything. Is he now speaking up to make news? Or is he brand new to the team.
KashYYK
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by KashYYK » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:06 pm

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:Lol, this is getting funnier with each news :lol:

But what about the chiiiiildren, what about our future generations?

This evil racist man is destroying NBA and everything we've worked for

Such a short-sighted take, completely missing the point. Why didn't you think more before posting?
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,000

Post#9 » by Dan33185 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:18 pm

"allow our children and future generations of fans to think that this behavior is tolerated because of wealth and privilege"

I mean, it is, this is nothing new, and will continue as long as humanity is around. Money doesn't talk, it swears.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,534

Post#10 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:19 pm

YourGM99 wrote:Are we supposed to believe that Jahm Najafi had no clue what was going on within the Suns organization? I mean, he is part of the ownership. Nonetheless, I completely agree Saver needs to resign and he should follow suit and they can bring in an entire new group of owners.

You think board members know about day to day stuff? I highly doubt most boards get updates on HR related items.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,951

Post#11 » by mastermixer » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:34 pm

Is anyone going to ask the hard-hitting questions? Like what’s a the point of have wealth and privilege if you can’t even use it?
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#12 » by hype_2004 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:46 pm

So he wants to be the majority owner by default, assuming the NBA gives him the franchise for free? As much as an **** Sarver is there's many legal requirements to a transfer of ownership and Sarver is still the owner of the Sun's unless he is forced to sell the team by the NBA owner fraternity.
nicholas88
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#13 » by nicholas88 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:19 pm

The continuing coup d'etat.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:00 pm

So what I'm reading and really understanding here is that he wants the team for free? Also, what was the point of this?
ryanball
Sophomore
And1: 238

Post#15 » by ryanball » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:06 pm

All theater. Jahm Najafi is just another thieving billionaire who is a beneficiary of an exploitative system.

The invention and ongoing cultivation of 'racism' is one of the ways the ruling class keeps the vast majority of people divided against each-other.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:14 pm

MitchB3 wrote:So what I'm reading and really understanding here is that he wants the team for free? Also, what was the point of this?

From what I understand, he wants Sarver to step down from his governorship permanently. He would still own his stake in the team (about 35%) but have no hand in it's operation.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#17 » by 23artest23 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:29 pm

alienpick wrote:He's already being punished. Trying to cancel him just shows how sick-minded YOU are.

If this is what folks want to refer to as "cancelling," I guess you could call me the "cancel king" because I'm all for it. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the NBA runs him off and if that doesn't occur, I hope Suns fans can come together to just simply boycott attending games. People in positions of power, influence, and/or prestige should be held to a higher standard.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#18 » by Rek » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:38 pm

23artest23 wrote:
alienpick wrote:He's already being punished. Trying to cancel him just shows how sick-minded YOU are.

If this is what folks want to refer to as "cancelling," I guess you could call me the "cancel king" because I'm all for it. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the NBA runs him off and if that doesn't occur, I hope Suns fans can come together to just simply boycott attending games. People in positions of power, influence, and/or prestige should be held to a higher standard.

Sarver is done in the league 100%. It's beyond clear.

My guess is that the league office did their legal diligence and confirmed that they didn't have the legal right to oust him outright. Hence the public smear campaign which is going to continue escalating. I saw PayPal just announced they'll revoke their sponsorship if he returns next year. Just the beginning imo.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,156

Post#19 » by Darthlukey » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:05 pm

Rek wrote:
23artest23 wrote:

Sarver is done in the league 100%. It's beyond clear.

My guess is that the league office did their legal diligence and confirmed that they didn't have the legal right to oust him outright. Hence the public smear campaign which is going to continue escalating. I saw PayPal just announced they'll revoke their sponsorship if he returns next year. Just the beginning imo.

This, the nba is letting influential third parties apply pressure where it cant
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#20 » by alphatron10 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:09 pm

Wowwwww, I'm so surprised that the second biggest owner of the Suns would want the main owner out lol. This guy doesn't care, he just wants the team

Return to Wiretap Discussion