Ben Simmons: I Didn't Handle Things The Right Way, Sixers Didn't Either

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ben Simmons: I Didn't Handle Things The Right Way, Sixers Didn't Either 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:21 pm

Ben Simmons spoke candidly about his experience with the Philadelphia 76ers during a podcast appearance with JJ Redick.

"I was in such a bad place where I was like, f---, I'm trying to get here and you guys are, like, throwing all these other things at me to where you're not helping. And that's all I wanted, was help," Simmons said.

"I didn't feel like I got it from coaches, teammates -- I won't say all teammates, because there's great guys on that team that did reach out and are still my friends -- but I didn't feel like I got that, and it was just a tough place for me."

Simmons was kicked out of practice by Doc Rivers for being a "distraction" after Simmons declined several times to sub in for a drill. He ultimately was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

"I actually spoke to Doc before practice. I was like, 'Doc, I'm not ready. Mentally, I'm not ready. Please just understand that,'" Simmons said on the podcast. "I tried to let him know prior, and he was like, 'Well, I'm going to put you in anyway.' I'm like, 'All right.' He told me to get in. I looked at him. It was like one minute into practice, like, 'Ben, get in.'

"I'm like, first of all, no one's doing that. You're doing this on purpose. And that's how I felt, too. It seems like everyone's trying to f--- with me now. I'm getting fined for not lifting weights, but physically I'm one of the strongest guys on the f---ing team. So now they're fining me for little things. It was just a buildup. Obviously, I didn't handle things the right way, but, also, the team didn't either, and the people who had that power."

Via ESPN

alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Ben Simmons: I Didn't Handle Things The Right Way, Sixers Didn't Either 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:25 pm

Cry Baby. If you are getting paid millions to practice and play elite of the elite level basketball... then you do what your employer says.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,212

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 pm

alienpick wrote:Cry Baby. If you are getting paid millions to practice and play elite of the elite level basketball... then you do what your employer says.

Agreed. I'm a professional musician so I understand what it's like to perform on a big stage. I have witnessed pros kinda losing it backstage and have seen amateurs start crying and refuse to go on. I have never witnessed a musician that was unable to practice.
Blightor
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Blightor » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:18 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
alienpick wrote:Cry Baby. If you are getting paid millions to practice and play elite of the elite level basketball... then you do what your employer says.

Agreed. I'm a professional musician so I understand what it's like to perform on a big stage. I have witnessed pros kinda losing it backstage and have seen amateurs start crying and refuse to go on. I have never witnessed a musician that was unable to practice.

Yeah its not the same. Your talking about elite sports where team-mate and coach throw him to the dogs along with whatever else he was going through.

Lets fix your analogy - Lets say the music world was a million times more scrutinised and you are playing as part of an orchestra. If your conductor and top most popular musician went out there and bagged you in front of millions because you played one wrong note among a hundred wrong notes the whole orchestra made during the performance?

Its just foolish to think that NBA players can't feel that betrayal, or that they experience real issues that make them not want to come into work. He probably still practiced a lot on his own, but he didn't feel like he was part of that team, wanted by that team, and he felt betrayed by the key people there. Give the guy a break.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#5 » by Future Coach » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:10 am

Blightor wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Yeah its not the same. Your talking about elite sports where team-mate and coach throw him to the dogs along with whatever else he was going through.

Lets fix your analogy - Lets say the music world was a million times more scrutinised and you are playing as part of an orchestra. If your conductor and top most popular musician went out there and bagged you in front of millions because you played one wrong note among a hundred wrong notes the whole orchestra made during the performance?

Its just foolish to think that NBA players can't feel that betrayal, or that they experience real issues that make them not want to come into work. He probably still practiced a lot on his own, but he didn't feel like he was part of that team, wanted by that team, and he felt betrayed by the key people there. Give the guy a break.

That's literally one of the reasons why he gets paid millions. He's perfectly welcome to retire, get out of the spotlight, & focus on his mental health. But no, he didn't want to do that, & he didn't want to be a professional & still work. But he wanted to keep getting his millions despite not working. That's not how life works. He's an entertainer under contract with a private business, & he wasn't meeting the terms of his contract. It's quite simple if you approach it like an adult, are accountable, & follow through on your commitments.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,212

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:10 am

Blightor wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

You're right, musicians can't be elite, no egos are involved and no one is ever thrown under the bus. I stand corrected. :lol:
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#7 » by 23artest23 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:27 pm

I'm still hanging tough with my prediction that he doesn't play the season opener. This guy is softer than Charmin.

Return to Wiretap Discussion