Ime Udoka Accused Of Making 'Unwanted Comments' Towards Staff Member

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ime Udoka Accused Of Making 'Unwanted Comments' Towards Staff Member 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:30 am

Ime Udoka reportedly made "unwanted comments" towards a female member of the Boston Celtics staff, sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Udoka was suspended for the entire 2022-23 season for violating team policies. 

People within the Celtics organization became aware of the relationship between Udoka and the staff member in July and were lead to believe that it was consensual, according to reports.

The team launched an internal investigation after the woman recently accused Udoka of making "unwanted comments."

The team made their decision on Udoka's future following a closed-door meeting involving the owners and president Brad Stevens that lasted several hours. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: Ime Udoka Accused Of Making 'Unwanted Comments' Towards Staff Member 

Post#2 » by tigerae » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:57 am

So was it consensual or not? Contradicting reports. If it was then 1 year is too long, but if it wasn't then it's not enough.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#3 » by 23artest23 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:42 am

tigerae wrote:So was it consensual or not? Contradicting reports. If it was then 1 year is too long, but if it wasn't then it's not enough.

1 year is appropriate enough. If it were you or I or the next guy, chances are we would lose our jobs. As a boss of sorts, it's just not appropriate to be having relationships with those under you. It brings in alot of liability and conflicts that just aren't needed in the workplace.
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 700

Post#4 » by BrianInPhilly » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am

“Unwanted comments” is a pretty slippery slope. People are not entitled to want every comment people say to them. Just yesterday, my boss had some negative feedback to me. That was “unwanted comment”.

Basically it’s not specific at all. Any time someone speaks any words to any person, you are not sure if that person wants those words or not.

But anyway, the NBA has proven that they want to be the word police recently. So not surprising.

People just need to stop complaining now when guys tip toe over their words and sound fake as hell all the time, because that’s the environment the NBA is reinforcing.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#5 » by Years90Suns » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm

tigerae wrote:So was it consensual or not? Contradicting reports. If it was then 1 year is too long, but if it wasn't then it's not enough.

Indeed!
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,482

Post#6 » by RondoToKG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:41 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:“Unwanted comments” is a pretty slippery slope. People are not entitled to want every comment people say to them. Just yesterday, my boss had some negative feedback to me. That was “unwanted comment”.

Basically it’s not specific at all. Any time someone speaks any words to any person, you are not sure if that person wants those words or not.

But anyway, the NBA has proven that they want to be the word police recently. So not surprising.

People just need to stop complaining now when guys tip toe over their words and sound fake as hell all the time, because that’s the environment the NBA is reinforcing.

We're all speculating here until we know what was said, but I strongly feel like the Celtics organization is not going to suspend their up and coming young coach just because he told another employee she looked sexy... if that was all it was, that would be one unfair punishment.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#7 » by dubbmotta » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:43 pm

BrianInPhilly wrote:“Unwanted comments” is a pretty slippery slope. People are not entitled to want every comment people say to them. Just yesterday, my boss had some negative feedback to me. That was “unwanted comment”.

I'm sure their not going to release the unwanted comments, to be suspended for a year it had to be major. Prob said something like "when are you going to let me smell that psss again."
deebee
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#8 » by deebee » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:28 pm

if you read the Athletic article, they said that the unwanted comments were directed at the woman he’d been sleeping with after she’d tried to end it
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:45 pm

RondoToKG wrote:

We're all speculating here until we know what was said, but I strongly feel like the Celtics organization is not going to suspend their up and coming young coach just because he told another employee she looked sexy... if that was all it was, that would be one unfair punishment.

Yeah exactly. Whatever it was had to be pretty significant for the Celtics to do something like this especially after the season that Udoka just led them through.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,445

Post#10 » by Eyeamok » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:13 pm

deebee wrote:if you read the Athletic article, they said that the unwanted comments were directed at the woman he’d been sleeping with after she’d tried to end it

I believe we have a winner.

All is fine and well when your having a good time. When she says no and you keep on. She can easily say this is a unsafe work environment I feel I could be raped or attacked at any moment. The organization tells you to stop and you continue to make statements or try to "talk" to her. Boom you've got a major problem.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#11 » by tigerae » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
deebee wrote:if you read the Athletic article, they said that the unwanted comments were directed at the woman he’d been sleeping with after she’d tried to end it

All is fine and well when your having a good time. When she says no and you keep on. She can easily say this is a unsafe work environment I feel I could be raped or attacked at any moment. The organization tells you to stop and you continue to make statements or try to "talk" to her. Boom you've got a major problem.

Yeah, if this was indeed the issue I could see why he was suspended for the year. I doubt the Celtics will ever release the exact issue but it could be leaked by someone at some point down the line.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:32 pm

moocow007 wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:

Yeah exactly. Whatever it was had to be pretty significant for the Celtics to do something like this especially after the season that Udoka just led them through.

Actually, that is the exact kind of comment that would lead to a suspension. You can say someone looks nice or that you like their shoes or what they've done with their hair. You can't objectify your coworkers (of any gender). If you don't understand how the word "sexy" does that than you should look up the definition of the word. If that doesn't clarify it you need sensitivity training. :lol:
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,445

Post#13 » by Eyeamok » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:47 pm

tigerae wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Yeah, if this was indeed the issue I could see why he was suspended for the year. I doubt the Celtics will ever release the exact issue but it could be leaked by someone at some point down the line.

Also something else they are not saying is he is going to counseling. Take a step back from basketball and focus on fixing this issue or become more aware/sensitive.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,482

Post#14 » by RondoToKG » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:13 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:

Actually, that is the exact kind of comment that would lead to a suspension. You can say someone looks nice or that you like their shoes or what they've done with their hair. You can't objectify your coworkers (of any gender). If you don't understand how the word "sexy" does that than you should look up the definition of the word. If that doesn't clarify it you need sensitivity training. :lol:

I thought he was having a relationship with this woman, that's why I said that.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:26 pm

RondoToKG wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I thought he was having a relationship with this woman, that's why I said that.

Got it. No, I think he had a consensual relationship that blew up in his face. It sounds like the comments came after it was over. Still a good idea to keep that kind of talk outside the workplace but I get your point.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#16 » by hippesthippo » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:10 pm

Nah, the reality of the situation is that you don't look for relationships at work anymore. Not these days and definitely not when you are a boss. Most relationships fail; this is a fact. A failed relationship at work is likely to result in a "toxic environment," and "unwanted comments," for at least one of the individuals unless they each had a crystal clear understanding of what each other was expecting out of the relationship going in.

Maybe one of them thought it was a fling and the other thought it was serious and didn't realize those comments were no longer "wanted." Or maybe the one who thought it was serious wasn't happy to find out they were just a fling.

When these situations pop up in the workplace they often devolve into "he-said/she-said," type of confrontations where intent and context can be.. complicated (like most relationships) and trying to sort everything out can be messy and entirely reliant on hearsay and trust. When a third party is involved [as in, the relationship is an affair out of wedlock] it can get even uglier.

At some point, one of the two individuals will likely end up having to leave the company in order for the working environment to repair itself. It appears Boston is at that point right now where they have two choices:

1) Remove the woman from the situation. If they get rid of the woman it could ruin her life and the optics will look bad from the jump. Particularly, in the modern workplace where companies are still struggling to create fair and equal working/hiring practices. In this hypothetical situation, If actual evidence comes out later on which damns Ime, it could catch fire and set the organization back significantly in myriad different ways including creating a workplace where women are worried about harassment and fear of retaliation.

2) Remove Ime from the situation. If they get rid of Ime in this hypothetical situation, they could be tearing apart a potential championship level team. If evidence does come out that the relationship was in fact consensual and simply ran it's course and ended ugly, it could slander Ime's name for no good reason and end up in a lost season and possibly even shut the window on contention which would affect the entire team. Furthermore, this could also set the workplace back to a point where men in the organization are working scared, or simply don't wish to work there anymore; afraid that they could be the next and unsure of what is and isn't acceptable.

Neither of the above are great options for Boston, so they appear to be trying to split the difference and are riding things out to see if it will settle down naturally over time.

The bottom line is that pursuing a relationship at work has led to an impossible situation for the organization. Hence, if you're looking for romance you'd be best served to look outside of work.

Return to Wiretap Discussion