Tyler Herro Agrees To Four-Year, $130M Contract Extension With Heat

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Tyler Herro Agrees To Four-Year, $130M Contract Extension With Heat 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Oct 2, 2022 10:34 pm

Tyler Herro signed a four-year, $130 million contract extension with the Miami Heat, his agent told Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

Herro averaged 20.7 points and 5.0 rebounds on his way to being voted Sixth Man of the Year last season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Re: Tyler Herro Agrees To Four-Year, $130M Contract Extension With Heat 

Post#2 » by hyberx » Mon Oct 3, 2022 12:27 am

That sets the market for Jordan Poole. He will likely get the same deal.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#3 » by DoctorDunc » Mon Oct 3, 2022 12:48 am

Overpay
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:12 am

DoctorDunc wrote:Overpay

He's 22 with career averages of 17/5/3 with nearly 40% from 3pt... I want to agree with you, but this is the way of the NBA today. Everyone is overpaid. He'll look fine on this contract if he's healthy and Spo plays him. It's the next one I'd be worried about.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#5 » by YourGM99 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:29 am

hyberx wrote:That sets the market for Jordan Poole. He will likely get the same deal.

That’s what I was thinking too. However, I don’t think he gets as much unless it’s from a different team. I’m not sure he gets anywhere in that ball park from the warriors so he may be hitting the free agency market after this season. . The warriors have to pay green, Wiggins, Poole, and I’m sure wiseman is due for an extension soon after that.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#6 » by njknicks » Mon Oct 3, 2022 5:16 am

Herro averages :

2022 -- Averaged 9.3ppg in ECF
2021 -- Averaged 9.3ppg in EC R1

Demoted from Starter to 6th man

Herro regressed in back to back playoffs & was removed from the starting lineup after his 2nd season. Except for his first season, his regular season play has not translated over in the playoffs.

$130m / 4 year deal ( $32.5m per season ) for a 6th man is absurd -- especially when factoring in state tax situation of Florida & that you can acquire 6th man type players for a fraction of the price.

Herro's contract will no doubt set the bar for GSW Jordan Poole's pending extension.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#7 » by God Squad » Mon Oct 3, 2022 12:04 pm

Yikes..
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 3, 2022 1:34 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

He's 22 with career averages of 17/5/3 with nearly 40% from 3pt... I want to agree with you, but this is the way of the NBA today. Everyone is overpaid. He'll look fine on this contract if he's healthy and Spo plays him. It's the next one I'd be worried about.

I look at things from a cap% perspective.

On a title contending team, how many players do you need better than Herro. This contract says he has to be a pretty clear 3rd best player on a team IMO. Is Herro a 3rd best player on a contending team if the 1st to guys aren't both top 5? I kind of doubt it, but to chew up about 20% of your likely total available salary space under the tax, he would need to be.

Maybe Herro makes big steps forward because he's only 22, but you are absolutely counting on that for this to play out in your favor. At his current level, this is maybe not quite an albatross, but it's definitely got albatross potential and very little room to be an upside contract.

Like you say though, that is the modern NBA, guys go to whomever pays them the most not who pays them the fairest, and if someone else probably would have also overpaid Herro. Only thought I have is if I'm the Heat, why bother extending him? Just let him play out RFA and see what happens.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#9 » by We Are Groot » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:01 pm

Another comp for u guys - Andrew Wiggins.

Wiggins also wasn’t worth his deal when he signed. And it took a trade for him to be able to show he cld live up to it. No doubt he’ll be looking for a max extension.

Hero’s deal will become much more palatable once the expected cap spike from the upcoming new TV deal is struck. Altho the league may go the smoothing route this time.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#10 » by dubbmotta » Mon Oct 3, 2022 5:46 pm

With the new collective bargarin comes around this will be an average salary for a role player..They'll be ok.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#11 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Oct 3, 2022 6:49 pm

I'm not sure about this one but time will tell.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,929

Post#12 » by meekrab » Mon Oct 3, 2022 6:49 pm

We Are Groot wrote:Another comp for u guys - Andrew Wiggins.

Wiggins also wasn’t worth his deal when he signed. And it took a trade for him to be able to show he cld live up to it. No doubt he’ll be looking for a max extension.

Hero’s deal will become much more palatable once the expected cap spike from the upcoming new TV deal is struck. Altho the league may go the smoothing route this time.

Wiggins has not lived up to his contract, though. He's a league average player getting paid first option money.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#13 » by deeps6x » Mon Oct 3, 2022 6:49 pm

As a Raptors fan, I love this extension.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Oct 3, 2022 11:17 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

I look at things from a cap% perspective.

On a title contending team, how many players do you need better than Herro. This contract says he has to be a pretty clear 3rd best player on a team IMO. Is Herro a 3rd best player on a contending team if the 1st to guys aren't both top 5? I kind of doubt it, but to chew up about 20% of your likely total available salary space under the tax, he would need to be.

Maybe Herro makes big steps forward because he's only 22, but you are absolutely counting on that for this to play out in your favor. At his current level, this is maybe not quite an albatross, but it's definitely got albatross potential and very little room to be an upside contract.

Like you say though, that is the modern NBA, guys go to whomever pays them the most not who pays them the fairest, and if someone else probably would have also overpaid Herro. Only thought I have is if I'm the Heat, why bother extending him? Just let him play out RFA and see what happens.

Well, Herro was at least the 4th best player on a team that over the last three seasons has: Gone to the finals; Lost in the first round to the eventual champs: Pushed the conference finals to seven games. Have they not been contenders? Herro is guaranteed about 20% of the projected cap in the first year of his extension, which is under 17% of the projected tax threshold. I would argue he's being paid like the 4th best player on a contender with this extension, not the 3rd.

Return to Wiretap Discussion