Suns Interested In Trading For Jordan Clarkson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns Interested In Trading For Jordan Clarkson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:37 pm

The Phoenix Suns have expressed interest in acquiring Jordan Clarkson from the Utah Jazz, sources tell Jake Fischer of Yahoo! Sports. The Suns would use Jae Crowder to match salary in a possible deal for Clarkson.

The outcome of the trade would likely involve Crowder receiving a buyout from the Jazz and then picking his ultimate destination. 

Clarkson is one of the options Phoenix has explored to add greater ball handling depth behind Chris Paul and Devin Booker. 

Clarkson signed a four-year, $52 million extension with the Jazz in 2020. Clarkson has a player option for 23-24. 

Via Jake Fischer/Yahoo! Sports

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Suns Interested In Trading For Jordan Clarkson 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:33 am

Because this helps them how exactly?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,277

Post#3 » by og15 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:15 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Because this helps them how exactly?

Don't forget last playoffs.

They certainly need additional reliable ball handling and scoring off the bench. Dallas loaded up on Paul and Booker and the Suns didn't have much of a backup plan as when the ball got into the hands of the other three guys on the court they couldn't really create anything.

Clarkson of course comes with his own flaws, but at least he gives them an option to play in a similar scenario.
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#4 » by irish22022 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:27 am

og15 wrote:

They certainly need additional reliable ball handling and scoring off the bench. Dallas loaded up on Paul and Booker and the Suns didn't have much of a backup plan as when the ball got into the hands of the other three guys on the court they couldn't really create anything.

Clarkson of course comes with his own flaws, but at least he gives them an option to play in a similar scenario.

It would be a huge help. Bridges is cool and all but he's not alpha. We need a guy who can get some **** baskets all on his own.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#5 » by MitchB3 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:27 pm

og15 wrote:

Last time I checked Clarkson was a heat-check guy, that come playoffs doesn't fulfill that heat-check role.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#6 » by og15 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:00 am

MitchB3 wrote:
og15 wrote:

Last time I checked Clarkson was a heat-check guy, that come playoffs doesn't fulfill that heat-check role.

In his combined 24 playoff games with the Jazz, he's shot 45.4% FG / 35.3% 3PT (7.1 3PA), 57.8 TS% while averaging 17.3 ppg in 27.8 mpg. His TS% low was 54.7% in 11 games, his high was 64.9% in 6 games last season. I don't know if I'm really expecting any more than that from Jordan Clarkson, are you?
MitchB3
Starter

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:36 pm

og15 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
og15 wrote:Don't forget last playoffs.

In his combined 24 playoff games with the Jazz, he's shot 45.4% FG / 35.3% 3PT (7.1 3PA), 57.8 TS% while averaging 17.3 ppg in 27.8 mpg. His TS% low was 54.7% in 11 games, his high was 64.9% in 6 games last season. I don't know if I'm really expecting any more than that from Jordan Clarkson, are you?

Love how you went to stats to back up your POV. The Suns don't need a heat check guy. They need a solid backup PG, that can lessen Christopher's role during the regular season. Clarkson isn't that guy. They also have Shamet, if given the opportunity to play more can give you what Clarkson does.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#8 » by og15 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am

MitchB3 wrote:
og15 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Love how you went to stats to back up your POV. The Suns don't need a heat check guy. They need a solid backup PG, that can lessen Christopher's role during the regular season. Clarkson isn't that guy. They also have Shamet, if given the opportunity to play more can give you what Clarkson does.

Wait, your argument was that he is a heat check guy who didn't fulfill his heat check role in the playoffs. I give you the numbers showing he did, so what did you want to show that he fulfilled that role, my random opinion?

So then you change the whole argument to, "oh, well, stats, but he's not a backup PG". Who said he was? You could have just said, "oh, I didn't realize he's actually done pretty well as a scorer for the Jazz in the playoffs compared to his poor playoff performance with the Cavs". "So maybe he can fill that heat check role, but I think they might need a backup PG more".

No, instead you change the whole argument, come on, no need for that.

Cameron Payne is their solid backup PG, he just has to get his head out of his behind and play well like he did in 20-21.

Shamet though :lol: , come on. Shamet is not really a good player. Shamet seems like he could be good because he's supposed to able to shoot, handle, defend...in theory. He just doesn't really do those things at the expected level or as well as it seems like he could.

Return to Wiretap Discussion