Multiple Sixers Execs Urged Bryan Colangelo To Look Closer At Ball, Tatum Before Selecting Fultz

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Multiple Sixers Execs Urged Bryan Colangelo To Look Closer At Ball, Tatum Before Selecting Fultz 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:11 pm

Bryan Colangelo zeroed in on Markelle Fultz during the 2017 NBA draft and traded up from No. 3 with the Boston Celtics to select him.

According to multiple former executives with the Philadelphia 76ers tell Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer that front office members urged Colangelo to take a second look at selecting either Lonzo Ball or Jayson Tatum.

Colangelo refused and selected Fultz, who ended up having an issue with his shoulder that impacted his shooting.

Fultz didn't make his debut with the Sixers until March of the 17-18 season.

The Sixers traded Fultz to the Orlando Magic in February 2019.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Re: Multiple Sixers Execs Urged Bryan Colangelo To Look Closer At Ball, Tatum Before Selecting Fultz 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:12 pm

Of course they did. But Fultz had Per36 numbers of 20/5/10 last season. It didn't work out great, but I see the potential Colangelo saw. If Fultz could just stay on the court for 82 he has MIP potential.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Multiple Sixers Execs Urged Bryan Colangelo To Look Closer At Ball, Tatum Before Selecting Fultz 

Post#3 » by alienpick » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:37 pm

Yeah; I was working for the Blazers in 1984 and I told them to pick Michael Jordan over Sam Bowie but they wouldn't listen.

I was still working with them in 2007 and I told them to pick that Durant kid over Greg Oden, but they didn't listen then either!!

Return to Wiretap Discussion