Celtics Could Have Interest In Trading For Jakob Poeltl

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Celtics Could Have Interest In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm

The Boston Celtics have a lack of depth at center, particularly with Robert Williams III out for several more weeks. To support Boston's title hopes, they could scour the trade market for help at the position with Jakob Poeltl a potential candidate.

"The question is 'does this team need to go out and get another big man who can defend?'" said Brian Windhorst. "The name that has come up that people have speculated has been Jakob Poeltl from the Spurs. They did a deal with the Spurs last year, obviously, for Derrick White.

"The Spurs may want to keep Jakob Poeltl. I'm not saying they're going to put him out there. The Spurs were unable to extend Poeltl. They tried to extnd him before the season. He will become an unrestricted free agent. They have the lowest payroll in the league. San Antonio can certainly afford to pay him, maybe that's what they're going to do at the end of the season."

Poeltl is averaging 13.4 points, 10.1 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.2 blocks in 28.8 minutes over 15 games for the Spurs this season.

Windhorst reported a few weeks ago that Poeltl expects to make more as a free agent than what the Spurs could offer him via extension currently.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Re: Celtics Could Have Interest In Trading For Jakob Poeltl 

Post#2 » by alphatron10 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:58 pm

I mean, they can't really have him as a backup can they? He is good enough to start for most teams that don't have an all-star center. Even if they traded someone like Derrick White (ironic) to the Spurs for him, it feels weird having him as a backup once Williams is back
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:19 pm

alphatron10 wrote:I mean, they can't really have him as a backup can they? He is good enough to start for most teams that don't have an all-star center. Even if they traded someone like Derrick White (ironic) to the Spurs for him, it feels weird having him as a backup once Williams is back

Yep agree and I don't think there's a deal that makes sense for both sides anyways.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#4 » by Scoonie » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:43 pm

Celts won't have his Bird rights, nor any cap room, to resign him after this season. So he'd purely be a one-season rental.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#5 » by grindtime22 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:53 pm

Scoonie wrote:Celts won't have his Bird rights, nor any cap room, to resign him after this season. So he'd purely be a one-season rental.

Bird rights move with the player in a trade.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#6 » by Cassius » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:36 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
alphatron10 wrote:I mean, they can't really have him as a backup can they? He is good enough to start for most teams that don't have an all-star center. Even if they traded someone like Derrick White (ironic) to the Spurs for him, it feels weird having him as a backup once Williams is back

Yep agree and I don't think there's a deal that makes sense for both sides anyways.

Jak on the Celtics is terrifying. I think he's as good or better than Rob Williams. If Timelord could develop even a below average corner 3 so they could play together, that's a Ben Wallace Pistons-level defense.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#7 » by baldur » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:22 am

Not annual Daniel theis signing is happening this season?
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:13 pm

The Spurs should be asking for a sizeable return on Poeltl. Look at his averages, and he's playing below 30mpg on a rebuilding team. If a contender can land him...watch out!
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#9 » by Dino353 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:20 pm

Won't matter who Boston acquires Jayson Tatum will need to take that next step which he is certainly taking at this very moment. The man could become a true Boston legend his ascension has long been delayed.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#10 » by Psubs » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:31 pm

If the Celtics are willing to sign Poeltl $15-20 million per season, then I think they have a great chance to re-sign him.

They should trade Robert Williams and 1st pick for Poeltl. I think that works for both teams. Williams is injury prone, but San Antonio can afford to gamble and accept inconsistent availability.
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#11 » by alphatron10 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:08 pm

baldur wrote:Not annual Daniel theis signing is happening this season?

Not unless he gets traded to somewhere other than Boston first, since they traded him, they can't re-aquire him first

Return to Wiretap Discussion