Re: Lakers Have Internally Discussed Trade With Bulls For DeMar DeRozan, Nikola Vucevic

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Lakers Have Internally Discussed Trade With Bulls For DeMar DeRozan, Nikola Vucevic 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:42 pm

During his podcast this week, Bill Simmons floated the concept of the Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls being logical trade partners this season. The Lakers are attempting to maximize the title window of LeBron James while the Bulls could reset their timeline.

The scenario floated by Simmons involved Russell Westbrook and two future first round picks to the Bulls for DeMar DeRozan and Nikola Vucevic. The Lakers had interest in DeRozan during the 2021 offseason before they pivoted to their trade for Westbrook.

"The trade I saw on Twitter was Russ and both picks, one with light protections I think for DeRozan and Vucevic," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "I can tell you 100 percent for sure that the Lakers have had internal discussions about that very possibility, if it would ever come up. "Not that they would do that. Let me be clear."

DeRozan is signed through the 23-24 season, while Vucevic is on an expiring contract.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,596

Re: Lakers Have Internally Discussed Trade With Bulls For DeMar DeRozan, Nikola Vucevic 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Fri Dec 2, 2022 8:25 pm

This might be literally the best the Lakers could dream of in a Russ trade, and it'd still probably be a really bad idea for them. I'd do it if I'm the Bulls, but the actual Bulls wouldn't dream of it and would rather collect an extra 1st round exit than load up on assets for a rebuild.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,976

Post#3 » by Laimbeer » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:12 pm

Wow. That's a damn good package. But DeRozan won't space the floor.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,531

Post#4 » by Psubs » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:31 pm

They could get a 1st and 2nd for Vucevic expiring and two 1st picks for Derozan.

Westbrook, filler and two 1st picks for Derozan, Lonzo, Drummond (or Tony Bradley) and two 2nd picks might work.
balla4lyf23
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#5 » by balla4lyf23 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:35 pm

dougthonus wrote:This might be literally the best the Lakers could dream of in a Russ trade, and it'd still probably be a really bad idea for them. I'd do it if I'm the Bulls, but the actual Bulls wouldn't dream of it and would rather collect an extra 1st round exit than load up on assets for a rebuild.

i disagree, bringing in westbrook's inflated contract will be next to impossible for LA to get rid of. theyve dug their own grave because of bad FO bowing to L. James' every whim. not a recipe for success. get rid of pelinka, trade everyone. this team isnt winning sh*t
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:39 pm

My wife and I have internally discussed trading our home for a condo in Malibu. (We currently live in a van down by the river.) :lol:
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#7 » by rocketsfan100 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:55 pm

Bulls would do this why? To start over building around Zach?
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,096

Post#8 » by jigga_man » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:14 pm

Westbrook for Derozen & Vucevic actually works cap wise. It just shows how crazy Westbrook contract is.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,596

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:32 pm

balla4lyf23 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:This might be literally the best the Lakers could dream of in a Russ trade, and it'd still probably be a really bad idea for them. I'd do it if I'm the Bulls, but the actual Bulls wouldn't dream of it and would rather collect an extra 1st round exit than load up on assets for a rebuild.

i disagree, bringing in westbrook's inflated contract will be next to impossible for LA to get rid of. theyve dug their own grave because of bad FO bowing to L. James' every whim. not a recipe for success. get rid of pelinka, trade everyone. this team isnt winning sh*t

What are you disagreeing with? :lol:

I said they couldn't ask for more, but it'd still be a bad idea.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:48 pm

dougthonus wrote:
balla4lyf23 wrote:

What are you disagreeing with? :lol:

I said they couldn't ask for more, but it'd still be a bad idea.

DeRozan's contract is fine and Vuc is expiring. The Bulls should be trying to get out of LaVine's contract. He can't be traded until next month, but if I'm CHI I'd offer LaVine for Westbrook and the two 1st's the day he is trade eligible.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 572

Post#11 » by nekorajo » Fri Dec 2, 2022 11:02 pm

What an unrealistic trade proposal. Arturas would have to be fired. Demar is worth much more. Why would they trade last year's ALL NBA/MVP candidate at his current salary for 2 crappy draft picks? Shame on you Bill Simmons.
SkynMan
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#12 » by SkynMan » Fri Dec 2, 2022 11:52 pm

Why is it that only big market city teams can make these unfair one sided trades and media outlets push for it to happen and convince the world the trades are fair?
xchange55
Senior
And1: 487

Post#13 » by xchange55 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:25 am

"I can tell you 100 percent for sure that the Lakers have had internal discussions about that very possibility, if it would ever come up.

Okay - I can tell you 100 percent for sure that the Bulls have not had internal discussions about the possibility of trading for Westbrook.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,404

Post#14 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Dec 3, 2022 1:02 am

Sure! This can happen for the Lakers. All they have to do is give up Anthony Davis in return for DeRozan and Vuc. Maybe add filler for it to work money wise. Honestly....WTF do the Lakers actually think they're going to get for Westbrook at this point?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,863
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Dec 3, 2022 1:10 am

I still love how people are pretending the Lakers are in the driver’s seat and they are taking their pick of great players from teams, and deciding who they are going to bless wirh Westbrook :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,289

Post#16 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Dec 3, 2022 2:17 am

So Zach Lowe saw the trade on Twitter, and that was his report? :lol:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,492

Post#17 » by dice » Sat Dec 3, 2022 3:15 am

rocketsfan100 wrote:Bulls would do this why? To start over building around Zach?

as part of a wholesale teardown, hopefully. with zach to be dealt separately. but the season would have to be unredeemable first. and it's not close to that point
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Ring_Me
Rookie
And1: 584

Post#18 » by Ring_Me » Sat Dec 3, 2022 3:50 am

lol at people thinking tha Bulls should do this trade really don't know anything about the nba.
"Do not go gentle into that good night." :starwars
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#19 » by haste10176 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:50 am

[quote="ExplosionsInDaSky"]Sure! This can happen for the Lakers. All they have to do is give up Anthony Davis in return for DeRozan and Vuc. Maybe add filler for it to work money wise. Honestly....WTF do the Lakers actually think they're going to get for Westbrook at this point?[/quote
Its the picks silly not westbrick
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,745

Post#20 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Dec 3, 2022 7:56 am

Laimbeer wrote:Wow. That's a damn good package. But DeRozan won't space the floor.

It isn’t on the table, man. Bulls wouldn’t do it.

Plus, LA couldn’t win that way either. They need Hield and Turner.

Return to Wiretap Discussion