Bradley Beal Says Absence Of Contenders In Free Agency Led Him To Re-Sign With Wizards

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Bradley Beal Says Absence Of Contenders In Free Agency Led Him To Re-Sign With Wizards 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 5, 2022 4:49 pm

Bradley Beal revealed his decision to re-sign with the Washington Wizards was at least partially based on the lack of options available to him in free agency.

Beal re-signed with the Wizards on a five-year, $251 million deal with a full no trade clause. The teams with maximum cap space during the 2022 offseason were all rebuilding.

"On the business side of it, there were no teams in the market," said Beal on the Gilbert Arenas podcast. "Just free agency-wise. I'm just being frank. There was nowhere else for me to go. Where I can go win. There were teams that strategically wasn't what I wanted. Realistically, I won't say my hand was forced but this was the best option that was on the table."

Beal theoretically could have worked with the Wizards on a sign-and-trade deal to a contender.

Via Matt Modderno/Bullets Forever

Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,539

Re: Bradley Beal Says Absence Of Contenders In Free Agency Led Him To Re-Sign With Wizards 

Post#2 » by Mak » Mon Dec 5, 2022 6:36 pm

:lol: Does he expect people to believe that? In the world where star players can force their pretty much to any team he did not see any options?
SkynMan
Sophomore
And1: 24

Re: Bradley Beal Says Absence Of Contenders In Free Agency Led Him To Re-Sign With Wizards 

Post#3 » by SkynMan » Mon Dec 5, 2022 6:43 pm

Brad Beal isn't really a competitor and you could tell in the way he plays. He just goes through the motions and you can tell he doesn't care about winning. Nothing wrong with it but clearly he's just trying to make his money and be with his family in the off-season. Wizards will never make it out the first round if they ever go to the playoffs
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#4 » by YourGM99 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 7:03 pm

Mak wrote::lol: Does he expect people to believe that? In the world where star players can force their pretty much to any team he did not see any options?

I think part one of the plan was securing his money with Washington since they could offer him the most money of any team. Part two of the plan is requesting a trade and since he has a no trade clause he will have more leverage to get traded exactly where he wants to go.

There was no point of him signing a new contract for less guaranteed money with a new team (in a lesser market) this offseason just to be in the same boat he’s in presently in Washington. Nor did it make sense to force a sign and trade to a contender with no cap space just to hard cap the team and limit potential flexibility in the future.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Dec 5, 2022 7:19 pm

No other franchise could contend with that offer! :lol:
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,717

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 7:21 pm

Bradley Beal is empty calories
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#7 » by MegaK » Mon Dec 5, 2022 8:23 pm

Yo he got the bag bro. He loyal to the bag bro. He a champion of life bro. He good.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 8:36 pm

YourGM99 wrote:
Mak wrote::lol: Does he expect people to believe that? In the world where star players can force their pretty much to any team he did not see any options?

I think part one of the plan was securing his money with Washington since they could offer him the most money of any team. Part two of the plan is requesting a trade and since he has a no trade clause he will have more leverage to get traded exactly where he wants to go.

There was no point of him signing a new contract for less guaranteed money with a new team (in a lesser market) this offseason just to be in the same boat he’s in presently in Washington. Nor did it make sense to force a sign and trade to a contender with no cap space just to hard cap the team and limit potential flexibility in the future.

Doesn't he have a trade kicker in that trade clause?
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 8:52 pm

Absence of contenders? Is this man sane? It would have been a better PR move if he just said "Hey, I wanted to remain loyal to the team that drafted me and bring them a championship in the near future." "Absence of Contenders" is the most asinine statement I've read in 2022.
"
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#10 » by Darthlukey » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:41 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Absence of contenders? Is this man sane? It would have been a better PR move if he just said "Hey, I wanted to remain loyal to the team that drafted me and bring them a championship in the near future." "Absence of Contenders" is the most asinine statement I've read in 2022.
"

Its his way of saying he wanted to get the bag, and there is nothing wrong with it. He could have asked for a S&T based on an extended deal, rather than signing a new deal to go to a contender. But wanted to get paid (dont we all), but this is double speak for not saying that
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#11 » by Darthlukey » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:43 pm

YourGM99 wrote:

This is why the ability to trade supermax deals should be banned. The point of the deal is to create loyalty. If (this is only a hypothetical at this stage) Beal wants a trade in the future, it undoes the point of the higher max deal.
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#12 » by beefman » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:16 pm

y'all salty because Beal called your team non-contenders lol
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,437

Post#13 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:19 pm

Par for the course these days. Secure the bag and a year or so down the road, ask for a trade. I think as an outsider looking in, I would be annoyed as a Wiz fan. Just seems ungrateful that the guy was clearly looking for a way out but decided to take the money knowing that he's only doing it to secure the bag. It happens in the NBA but it's not often talked about in the open.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,381

Post#14 » by KL78192020 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 11:37 pm

Darthlukey wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:

This is why the ability to trade supermax deals should be banned. The point of the deal is to create loyalty. If (this is only a hypothetical at this stage) Beal wants a trade in the future, it undoes the point of the higher max deal.

what is the team wants to trade the supermax player? should that be banned?
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#15 » by ozthegap » Tue Dec 6, 2022 12:54 am

KL78192020 wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:

what is the team wants to trade the supermax player? should that be banned?

Yes. Forcing both sides to deal with the consequences of a supermax might stop teams from handicapping themselves by giving players who don't deserve a supermax a supermax. And would also stop players from wrecking teams on their way out after they got paid.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,596

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:19 am

Why would you think he's lying? Not much incentive to lie and say he's all about the money.

He couldn't get the 5th year in a S&T, so this was the best financial decision.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,596

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:21 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Par for the course these days. Secure the bag and a year or so down the road, ask for a trade. I think as an outsider looking in, I would be annoyed as a Wiz fan. Just seems ungrateful that the guy was clearly looking for a way out but decided to take the money knowing that he's only doing it to secure the bag. It happens in the NBA but it's not often talked about in the open.

Wiz should have just traded him awhile ago rather than giving him this deal.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#18 » by ozthegap » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:34 am

dougthonus wrote:

Why would you think he's lying? Not much incentive to lie and say he's all about the money.

He's just preparing the field for when he demands a trade. He's saying "I never really wanted to be here, I was just waiting for the right opportunity to leave"
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#19 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:37 am

dougthonus wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Par for the course these days. Secure the bag and a year or so down the road, ask for a trade. I think as an outsider looking in, I would be annoyed as a Wiz fan. Just seems ungrateful that the guy was clearly looking for a way out but decided to take the money knowing that he's only doing it to secure the bag. It happens in the NBA but it's not often talked about in the open.

Wiz should have just traded him awhile ago rather than giving him this deal.

100% agree. I thought he should've been on his way out a few seasons ago towards the end of his first max deal when he was averaging over 30 a game and the Wizards were still a lotto team. I thought that would've been a great time to sell super high and rebuild with a bunch of picks and young guys they would've gotten in a Beal trade.

I don't know how Wiz fans view Beal but no quote is more appropriate for this situation than "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." He would've left as a hero and I personally would've understood if he asked to be traded before. Hell, the Wiz had two opportunities to move him with the first being towards the end of his first max deal and then towards the end of his 2 year max extension. Subsequently the Wiz went nowhere and doesn't seem to be going anywhere quick but now they have Beal in the books for like $50m a year...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#20 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:40 am

ozthegap wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

He's just preparing the field for when he demands a trade. He's saying "I never really wanted to be here, I was just waiting for the right opportunity to leave"

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm not a Wiz fan, I don't know if you guys view Beal positively or negatively but I read his comments more negatively. Gives the I'm not happy in this marriage anymore and I would've left for a hot young thing if given the opportunity vibe.

Return to Wiretap Discussion