NBA Not Yet Reviewing Any Team Sales To Sovereign Wealth Funds

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Not Yet Reviewing Any Team Sales To Sovereign Wealth Funds 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 6, 2022 5:10 pm

The NBA recently approved a rule change that allows sovereign wealth funds to buy stakes in teams.

An arm of a foreign government can now buy into the NBA, which is not yet permitted in any other major league in the United States.

Under the just-adopted policy, a foreign fund could buy up to 20 percent of a team. 

These sovereign funds are broadly found in oil-rich countries of the Middle East. These funds have helped increase the value of European soccer clubs with their purchases of Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and others.

Currently, there are no sales to sovereign funds under review by the NBA.

With franchise valuations continuing to soar, there could be fewer individual buyers who can afford such price points and opening up new sources of capital will help mitigate that issue. 

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: NBA Not Yet Reviewing Any Team Sales To Sovereign Wealth Funds 

Post#2 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 12:37 am

Boo.

I feel like this kind of stuff can kill a sport. If individuals can no longer afford the prices, maybe that means the prices shouldn't raise any further.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#3 » by haste10176 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:10 am

No NBA just no.. Now you wont be able to talk about human right in those countries either great
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,583

Post#4 » by MemphisX » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:34 am

haste10176 wrote:No NBA just no.. Now you wont be able to talk about human right in those countries either great

Why are you expecting a sports league to be the voice of human rights?
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to Wiretap Discussion