Celtics Trade Noah Vonleh To Spurs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Celtics Trade Noah Vonleh To Spurs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 5, 2023 7:07 pm

The Boston Celtics have agreed to trade Noah Vonleh and cash considerations to the San Antonio Spurs.

The Spurs will waive Gorgui Dieng to create a roster spot. San Antonio will waive Vonleh after the trade is complete.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Bad Bart
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Celtics Trade Noah Vonleh To Spurs 

Post#2 » by Bad Bart » Thu Jan 5, 2023 7:34 pm

Seemed inevitable.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#3 » by YourGM99 » Thu Jan 5, 2023 7:57 pm

I thought the Spurs wanted a 1st Round Pick to take on expiring contracts?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#4 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jan 5, 2023 9:55 pm

What's Spurs' incentive here?
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#5 » by dubbmotta » Thu Jan 5, 2023 9:59 pm

donemilio21 wrote:What's Spurs' incentive here?

Cash
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#6 » by deepeeenn » Thu Jan 5, 2023 10:24 pm

dubbmotta wrote:

Cash

I’m curious what the actual dollar amount is because they waive Dieng and also waive Vonleh which is just burning money. So what ever they’re receiving is more than what they owe both on their remaining salaries.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,212

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jan 5, 2023 11:01 pm

deepeeenn wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

Cash

I’m curious what the actual dollar amount is because they waive Dieng and also waive Vonleh which is just burning money. So what ever they’re receiving is more than what they owe both on their remaining salaries.

They need to get to the salary floor. They are being paid cash to get to a dollar figure they were going to need to get to anyway.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jan 5, 2023 11:47 pm

SA has the lowest payroll in the league.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/

So again…what’s the incentive?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Envelopes
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#9 » by Envelopes » Fri Jan 6, 2023 2:51 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:Cash

They need to get to the salary floor. They are being paid cash to get to a dollar figure they were going to need to get to anyway.

This isn't an incentive, you would rather pay your own players than some other dude your going to cut. See OKC last year.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#10 » by LiSTWithLani » Fri Jan 6, 2023 2:57 am

Envelopes wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:

This isn't an incentive, you would rather pay your own players than some other dude your going to cut. See OKC last year.

No, I believe that it is. From an owner perspective; would you rather pay your players more money, or receive money to offset the incremental increase? This means less out of pocket for ownership - that's good business.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,212

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 6, 2023 4:20 am

LiSTWithLani wrote:
Envelopes wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:They need to get to the salary floor. They are being paid cash to get to a dollar figure they were going to need to get to anyway.

No, I believe that it is. From an owner perspective; would you rather pay your players more money, or receive money to offset the incremental increase? This means less out of pocket for ownership - that's good business.

This man gets it. It's done every season by teams below the salary floor. Both teams save a couple mil. It ain't peanuts.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#12 » by deepeeenn » Fri Jan 6, 2023 7:21 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
deepeeenn wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:Cash

Good point
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.

Return to Wiretap Discussion