Wizards, Jazz, Nets, Pacers Interested In Trading For John Collins

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wizards, Jazz, Nets, Pacers Interested In Trading For John Collins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:10 pm

The trade market for Atlanta Hawks forward John Collins continues to swirl. The Washington Wizards, Utah Jazz, Brooklyn Nets and Indiana Pacers all have registered vary degrees of interest in trading for Collins.

Recently, the Hawks gave Collins representatives to seek a deal on their own. Atlanta is currently in a front office transition, as Travis Schlenk stepped aside from leading the basketball operations. Landry Fields was promoted to general manager, and Kyle Korver was elevated to assistant GM.

Collins' production has dipped this season, as he's often the Hawks third to fifth option on many nights. The sixth-year big man is taking just 10.3 field goal attempts per game, which is his lowest figure since his rookie season. Without consistent touches, Collins' field goal percentage has fallen under 50% (49.6%) for the first time in his career, including a career-low 23.6% on three-pointers.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

Montrosslegend
Freshman
And1: 29

Re: Wizards, Jazz, Nets, Pacers Interested In Trading For John Collins 

Post#2 » by Montrosslegend » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:12 pm

How awesome would it be if the Nets somehow got him. I just don’t know what they would give up. I would say Claxton is untouchable. They need his size and defense.
napdash
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#3 » by napdash » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Odd that he's somehow considered a gamechanger because he averaged 20ppg four seasons ago.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#4 » by shrink » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:12 am

Every time ATL puts Collins on the trade market, suddenly there are multiple teams linked to him. And he never gets traded.

Hard to believe this just isn’t the Hawks planting a story, trying to stir up a bidding war again.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#5 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:48 am

The Wizards wanting Collins is so random :lol: What is their team direction right now?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#6 » by Rek » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:22 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:The Wizards wanting Collins is so random :lol: What is their team direction right now?

They haven't had any for a while. They probably figure they're going to lose Kuz. So, I can see them looking for a trade. But, I don't see Collins as the answer unless they're perfectly content with continuing to lose games.

They should be looking to unload their oft-injured and overpaid Beal.

On the other hand, I could see Kuz pairing well with Trae.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 pm

Rek wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:The Wizards wanting Collins is so random :lol: What is their team direction right now?

They haven't had any for a while. They probably figure they're going to lose Kuz. So, I can see them looking for a trade. But, I don't see Collins as the answer unless they're perfectly content with continuing to lose games.

They should be looking to unload their oft-injured and overpaid Beal.

On the other hand, I could see Kuz pairing well with Trae.

I would be surprised if Collins ends up in WAS. Collins and Kuzma are similar players with similar upside. Collins is in a rough situation in ATL, but I don't think ATL trades him for a player on an expiring deal. Also, if they haven't liked Collins there is no reason for them to pursue Kuzma.

Yes, WAS needs to trade Beal, if anyone offers them anything for him. Westbrook and two slices of cheese pizza... done! At least then they can say they didn't lose him for nothing. They should have traded him two seasons ago and they wouldn't be in this mess.

If Utah really wants Collins then that's where he'll likely end up.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#8 » by D21 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:21 am

napdash wrote:Odd that he's somehow considered a gamechanger because he averaged 20ppg four seasons ago.

Yes, but it was in an empty roster, both Trae and him had all the ball.
Since, then, Trae still has, but not John. As soon as he gets a little bigger role, he's back at 20/10

And there are not underperforming with him, it's some rotation than McMillan is using that don't work.
But the 5 men lineup of Young/Murray/Hunter/Collins/Capela is at +10.5 per 100 possessions. They need Capela who's injured.

Pickled Prunes wrote:...
Yes, WAS needs to trade Beal, if anyone offers them anything for him. Westbrook and two slices of cheese pizza... done! At least then they can say they didn't lose him for nothing. They should have traded him two seasons ago and they wouldn't be in this mess.

"Monte Morris, Bradley Beal, Deni Avdija, Kyle Kuzma and Kristaps Porziņģis: +14.7 points per 100 possessions (97th percentile offense, 93rd percentile defense)" from Bleacherreport
This five is working, on of the best of the league, injuries and bench may be a bigger problem than Beal in the end, but sure that for his $43M, there's a possibility that two 21 or 22M players would bring more depth to the team

Return to Wiretap Discussion