Draymond Green: Racist Chants In Boston Impacted My Play In Finals

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Draymond Green: Racist Chants In Boston Impacted My Play In Finals 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:35 pm

Draymond Green admitted that the environment in TD Garden during The Finals impacted his play in the series. Green said on his podcast in November that he was repeatedly called racist names throughout the three games played in Boston.

"It was such a beautiful thing," Green told ESPN of closing out the series in Boston in Game 6. "It's not something they hadn't experienced before. So I think it's great that they experienced it from us. With Steph Curry doing what Steph Curry does and the guy they chose to call the N-word. It was beautiful."

Green scored just two points each in Games 3 and 4, netting a minus-13 and zero in those games, respectively.

"You usually have situations where people talk crazy, but not the entire arena," Green told ESPN. "You'll have a situation where an entire arena will boo you, but not what the Boston fans were doing. So, it was just a different situation than I had ever seen. It took a while to adjust to it ... it was just so unexpected. It caught me off guard."

Green said he heard "f--k Draymond" chants, and names like "b---h" and the N-word.

"Whenever you know what to expect, you can plan for it. I've been around for 11 years so I thought I had seen it all. But that, I had never seen before," Green told ESPN. "I guess with this, there was no real way to prepare for it. Except mentally know what you're walking into. When that happens I can tune it out. But that first time I couldn't tune it out."

Via Kendra Andrews/ESPN

circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Re: Draymond Green: Racist Chants In Boston Impacted My Play In Finals 

Post#2 » by circa70 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Typical Boston trash. It’s the true armpit of the northeast
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,175

Post#3 » by Slim Charless » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 pm

I doubt they called him the n word. Not that I think trashy Boston fans are above it, I just think he's lying and trying to get sympathy. We would've heard about this earlier if it had happened.

Also f*** Draymond.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,040

Post#4 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:26 pm

I sucked in the Finals but it was because of some mean words. Tired of this clown.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#5 » by jc23 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:07 pm

if boston fans were chanting that the way draymond is saying they were how was this not a story?
Be curious, Not judgmental
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,211

Post#6 » by QingJames » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:08 pm

I guess the Bay Area fans were calling him the N word too, given he played like a bum at the start of the series there too.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,493

Post#7 » by Wildcat » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 pm

Might be an exaggeration, but there's a lot of stuff that goes on in arenas that we views don't catch, so maybe a section behind the Warriors' bench was chanting it? Or the network pipped it out? Between Boston and Utah, there's enough stories out there about some of the racism from the fans, so either way it isn't surprising.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,991

Post#8 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:35 pm

Seems to me every arena has been racist against Draymond since 2020 :(
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:22 pm

jc23 wrote:if boston fans were chanting that the way draymond is saying they were how was this not a story?

I'm not buying it we hear this all the time from some player there was a Duke vs BYU volleyball game a while back that some player claimed she was called racist names, turned out the tape show none of it, and she was the only one hearing it.

Boston had 12 or 13 players who are and were black on that team would they have been ok with this? Would racist fans cheer for the black players in their own uniforms and call poor Draymond names?

It's an excuse for his bad play and low character. I suppose this is the reason he punched his own team mate earlier this season!

If someone called him names like that he could easily point them out and have the tossed from the arena.

I only care about what color uniform my players wear but in this age of identity politics, when you can make a charge and the person you charge has to "prove they didn't do it" well why not Dray? Is this a way for a player who is rapidly sliding off into irrelevancy to keep his name in the news?
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#10 » by buckboy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:27 pm

Yeah, you're full of **** as usual, Draymond.

Just a complete douchebag.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#11 » by buckboy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:29 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
jc23 wrote:if boston fans were chanting that the way draymond is saying they were how was this not a story?

I'm not buying it we hear this all the time from some player there was a Duke vs BYU volleyball game a while back that some player claimed she was called racist names, turned out the tape show none of it, and she was the only one hearing it.

Boston had 12 or 13 players who are and were black on that team would they have been ok with this? Would racist fans cheer for the black players in their own uniforms and call poor Draymond names?

It's an excuse for his bad play and low character. I suppose this is the reason he punched his own team mate earlier this season!

If someone called him names like that he could easily point them out and have the tossed from the arena.

I only care about what color uniform my players wear but in this age of identity politics, when you can make a charge and the person you charge has to "prove they didn't do it" well why not Dray? Is this a way for a player who is rapidly sliding off into irrelevancy to keep his name in the news?

To the bolded, he did just that in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. Which was also BS.

https://www.si.com/nba/bucks/off-the-court/the-milwaukee-bucks-fan-that-got-ejected-because-of-draymond-green-speaks-out-and-shares-what-he-said

Poor excuse for a human being. **** this guy.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#12 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:31 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

Not taking a side here whether Draymond is lying or not, but yes, home fans in sports have and do use racist words/gestures towards opposing players despite having players of the same race on their own team. It always baffled me, but it's very, very common in European football.

Not sure what to think of Draymond's claims, but there's quite the list of instances building in Boston. It happens everywhere, but some spots you definitely hear of it more.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#13 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:34 pm

What would Draymond gain from lying about being called racist names? He has multiple rings anyways. Some people on here don't make sense.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#14 » by jc23 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:43 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:What would Draymond gain from lying about being called racist names? He has multiple rings anyways. Some people on here don't make sense.

Ask George Santos, people dont always coincide with logic. Maybe he did it for his podcast?

Im not sure, but to have an entire building chanting a racist word seems like a stretch considering the NBA's stance on such. A few fans seems more believable.
Be curious, Not judgmental
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#15 » by MitchB3 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:54 pm

The boy who cried the N-word.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:03 pm

MitchB3 wrote:The boy who cried the N-word.

yep. He's nothing but a predictable race baiter. F him.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:10 pm

This is the quote: "Green said he heard "f--k Draymond" chants, and names like "b---h" and the N-word." and it only mentions one of those words was chanted. That being said, Boston does have a rep to live down and there's probably some fans in any arena who would gladly say anything if they thought it would throw an opposing player off their game.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,172

Post#18 » by strokerace » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:29 pm

Look at the crowd at a Boston game. I would argue that there is more diversity in a Celtics crowd than any other NBA crowd. Would all the other non white fans tolerate that stuff? And the crowd at a Warriors game is almost white. I just don't buy it. The timing is a little suspect given that he has a game in Boston tomorrow. You think a player like Brogdan or Jaylen Brown would tolerate any racist remarks. Lets see is any of the other players can vouch for his story. This guy is all about self promotion.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 457

Post#19 » by Swift21 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:00 pm

Slim Charless wrote:I doubt they called him the n word. Not that I think trashy Boston fans are above it, I just think he's lying and trying to get sympathy. We would've heard about this earlier if it had happened.

Also f*** Draymond.

Boston has a reputation as one of the most racists cities. I wouldn't doubt anything.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,080

Post#20 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:03 pm

shakes0 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:The boy who cried the N-word.

yep. He's nothing but a predictable race baiter. F him.

it boggles my mind how people cant read twitter comments and think people all of a sudden have the decency not to talk like that in arenas. If im getting called the N word at work, drunk fans who think they are anonymous are doing the same.

Return to Wiretap Discussion