Hornets Prepared To Talk Trades For Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier, Kelly Oubre

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Hornets Prepared To Talk Trades For Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier, Kelly Oubre 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:50 pm

The Charlotte Hornets have fallen to 12-34 on the season and are positioning for ping pong balls in the 2023 NBA Draft Lottery. Given that, the Hornets are ready to talk trades for some of the veterans on their roster. Charlotte is prepared to talk deals for Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Hayward is owed $30.1 million this season and $31.5 million next season. He's continually battled injuries throughout his Charlotte tenure, and since as far back as 2017 when he suffered an opening night injury with the Boston Celtics.

Rozier signed a four-year, $96.3 million contract extension before last season. He's on the Hornets books through the 2025-26 season at an average of $24 million per season.

Oubre underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left hand on January 3. He's expected to miss 4-6 week, which would have Oubre in line to return right around the February 9 trade deadline. He's on an expiring $12.6 million contract, which could make him attractive to a contender looking for a rotation wing.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Re: Hornets Prepared To Talk Trades For Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier, Kelly Oubre 

Post#2 » by YourGM99 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:30 pm

I posted this under the lakers article below. “ No Big Trades Expected For Lakers” This is the Westbrook trade the lakers need to make. Take on the extra salary of Hayward and Rozier so you don’t have to give up a first round pick. You Also get another rotation player in Oubre. The lakers won’t get 3 better rotation players in the offseason if they let Westbrook walk in the summer. They will have $30M in cap space and be in an even worst position next year..
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Re: Hornets Prepared To Talk Trades For Gordon Hayward, Terry Rozier, Kelly Oubre 

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:39 pm

YourGM99 wrote:I posted this under the lakers article below. “ No Big Trades Expected For Lakers” This is the Westbrook trade the lakers need to make. Take on the extra salary of Hayward and Rozier so you don’t have to give up a first round pick. You Also get another rotation player in Oubre. The lakers won’t get 3 better rotation players in the offseason if they let Westbrook walk in the summer. They will have $30M in cap space and be in an even worst position next year..

Are they bringing in Hayward to give AD some company on the bench? Those are all negative players. Maybe Plumlee, Rozier and Oubre... but do the Lakers really want to be tied to Rozier for the next 3 seasons?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:49 pm

YourGM99 wrote:I posted this under the lakers article below. “ No Big Trades Expected For Lakers” This is the Westbrook trade the lakers need to make. Take on the extra salary of Hayward and Rozier so you don’t have to give up a first round pick. You Also get another rotation player in Oubre. The lakers won’t get 3 better rotation players in the offseason if they let Westbrook walk in the summer. They will have $30M in cap space and be in an even worst position next year..

If LAL is taking Hayward, Rozier and Oubre for Westbrook, that's $64.1 million for $47.1 Million. Lakers take too much salary and they are already about $18 million in the tax, so they'd have to send someone back to the Hornets besides Russ. It would almost have to be Beverly to make it work. Char could cut or buy out Beverly or both of them.

One of the few trades I see for Westbrook that doesn't need a #1 pick.

They could do it with just Hayward and Rozier and send Oubre some place else to try and get at least a couple 2nds.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:52 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Are they bringing in Hayward to give AD some company on the bench? Those are all negative players. Maybe Plumlee, Rozier and Oubre... but do the Lakers really want to be tied to Rozier for the next 3 seasons?

Hayward gets hurt so much him and AD could have a best dressed bench warmer contest.
YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Post#6 » by YourGM99 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:11 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:

If LAL is taking Hayward, Rozier and Oubre for Westbrook, that's $64.1 million for $47.1 Million. Lakers take too much salary and they are already about $18 million in the tax, so they'd have to send someone back to the Hornets besides Russ. It would almost have to be Beverly to make it work. Char could cut or buy out Beverly or both of them.

They could do it with just Hayward and Rozier and send Oubre some place else to try and get at least a couple 2nds.

So I was actually thinking about a trade with the hornets yesterday day but instead of Oubre it would be Washington whose salary is $5.8M. Gordon, Rozier, and Washington for Westbrook works on the ESPN trade machine. But I think the lakers should try to incorporate teams like Toronto and New York and add Beverly and Nunn for Gary Trent Jr and Cam Reddish. If you can do the hornets trade with no 1st round pick, I’d do it. I would be willing to give up a 1st round pick with Beverly for Gary Trent Jr since he would still be in the NBA in 5 years unlike bogdanovic. A second round pick would go to the Knicks with Nunn. They would have to make an additional move to get another reliable big and to clear roster spots but I don’t think it would require a 1st round pick.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#7 » by niha17 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:30 am

you were not good enough to put that money on your rosterthey are over the top players not players for a **** team
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#8 » by Revived » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:55 am

I bet teams will line up with heavy excitement for this trio of players.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#9 » by 31to6 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:10 am

Revived wrote:I bet teams will line up with heavy excitement for this trio of players.

Tantalizing, eh?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#10 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:20 am

YourGM99 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

So I was actually thinking about a trade with the hornets yesterday day but instead of Oubre it would be Washington whose salary is $5.8M. Gordon, Rozier, and Washington for Westbrook works on the ESPN trade machine. But I think the lakers should try to incorporate teams like Toronto and New York and add Beverly and Nunn for Gary Trent Jr and Cam Reddish. If you can do the hornets trade with no 1st round pick, I’d do it. I would be willing to give up a 1st round pick with Beverly for Gary Trent Jr since he would still be in the NBA in 5 years unlike bogdanovic. A second round pick would go to the Knicks with Nunn. They would have to make an additional move to get another reliable big and to clear roster spots but I don’t think it would require a 1st round pick.

If the deal is isolated to lakers hornets and russ for gordon rozier Washington, it's hard to see a 1st not in there. I thinking getting rozier is a positive and taking on Haywards money is payment for that, but then the hornets are effectively giving away a young starter calibre player for free
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#11 » by hippesthippo » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:45 pm

Darthlukey wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

If the deal is isolated to lakers hornets and russ for gordon rozier Washington, it's hard to see a 1st not in there. I thinking getting rozier is a positive and taking on Haywards money is payment for that, but then the hornets are effectively giving away a young starter calibre player for free

Y'all are watching wayyyyyyyyyyy to much ESPN if you think you're getting Hayward, Rozier, and P.J. Washington just for Westbrook. What the hell does Charlotte care about opening up cap space for next year? They're tanking. Who are the Hornets going to sign in FA next year that could put them in the top6 of the Eastern Conference? James Harden?

Unless Charlotte is getting back tangible assets of some sort they would have zero reasons to do a trade like this. Westbrook and a FRP gets you in Hayward + Rozier territory, but nothing more.

The Hornets certainly aren't tossing in PJ or Oubre for nothing. Those guys are worth a mid-late FRP / multiple 2nd's respectively. Every single playoff team in the league would love to add another lengthy 3/4/5 that plays defense and can shoot (even if they're only average to above average).

Where do Lakers fans get these takes?
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#12 » by King4Day » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:09 pm

Extremely unlikely the Hornets are salary dumping all of these guys.
They aren't signing anyone so why deal two of their best assets to offload the final year of Hayward?

They'll get good returns for both. Then hold onto Hayward unless something makes sense (bad contract for bad contract)

Westbrook (alone) for Rozier, Oubre, and Hayward aint happening.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#13 » by kuclas » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:21 pm

If charlotte wants to dump those salaries. They will have to attach an their own unprotected 2023 first round pick to get rid of those guys.
pacerized
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#14 » by pacerized » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:51 pm

Any team taking Hayward is going to buy him out. Charlotte is going to have to throw in an unprotected 1st to move that contract. Pacers might move Turner for Hayward and 1 unprotected 1st or Turner and Hield for Hayward, filler and 2 1st.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#15 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:31 am

kuclas wrote:If charlotte wants to dump those salaries. They will have to attach an their own unprotected 2023 first round pick to get rid of those guys.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This could be the worst take I've ever seen. Yeah we'll trade our Wemby ticket to get out of one year of Hayward while dumping assets in the process. Hilarious
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:33 am

pacerized wrote:Any team taking Hayward is going to buy him out. Charlotte is going to have to throw in an unprotected 1st to move that contract. Pacers might move Turner for Hayward and 1 unprotected 1st or Turner and Hield for Hayward, filler and 2 1st.

Why would a rebuilding team dump one (or two?!?) unprotected firsts to get out of 1 year of Hayward? In what scenario does this make any sense?
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#17 » by kuclas » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:51 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
kuclas wrote:If charlotte wants to dump those salaries. They will have to attach an their own unprotected 2023 first round pick to get rid of those guys.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
This could be the worst take I've ever seen. Yeah we'll trade our Wemby ticket to get out of one year of Hayward while dumping assets in the process. Hilarious

That’s what it will take to get rid of Gordon H. Nice guy. Nice player. Just can’t stay healthy. Makes a ton of money.

Charlotte will find there is no trade market other than holding on to him and eating his salary (like Houston did with John wall). So Gordon will sit out 1.5 years. That’s what it will take if charlotte thinks any team will take on 30 million salary for 2023-2024 plus the remaining 14 plus million for this current season.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:14 am

Charlotte will happily eat his contract as opposed to giving up their pick this year.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#19 » by Darthlukey » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:30 am

hippesthippo wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
YourGM99 wrote:

Y'all are watching wayyyyyyyyyyy to much ESPN if you think you're getting Hayward, Rozier, and P.J. Washington just for Westbrook. What the hell does Charlotte care about opening up cap space for next year? They're tanking. Who are the Hornets going to sign in FA next year that could put them in the top6 of the Eastern Conference? James Harden?

Unless Charlotte is getting back tangible assets of some sort they would have zero reasons to do a trade like this. Westbrook and a FRP gets you in Hayward + Rozier territory, but nothing more.

The Hornets certainly aren't tossing in PJ or Oubre for nothing. Those guys are worth a mid-late FRP / multiple 2nd's respectively. Every single playoff team in the league would love to add another lengthy 3/4/5 that plays defense and can shoot (even if they're only average to above average).

Don't get me wrong, im a hybrid combo of anti lakers and anti bron, but rozier and Hayward seems fair as it clears salary for the hornets in a big way next season, which for a team looking to accumulate assets is huge. I don't like lakers getting players for free, but it's fair. But you throw in PJ, that's a different story. He has real value to the hornets and deserves additional compensation
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#20 » by hippesthippo » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:49 am

Darthlukey wrote:
hippesthippo wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:If the deal is isolated to lakers hornets and russ for gordon rozier Washington, it's hard to see a 1st not in there. I thinking getting rozier is a positive and taking on Haywards money is payment for that, but then the hornets are effectively giving away a young starter calibre player for free

it clears salary for the hornets in a big way next season, which for a team looking to accumulate assets is huge.

Can you explain this to me please? I still don't understand why cap space is so important for them.

Best case scenario they use that cap space to take on bad money that comes with a pick attached to it. Or they sign a FA that they later trade for a pick.

Why not skip all that bs and just trade Rozier for a pick?

Return to Wiretap Discussion