Kyrie Irving Interested In Discussing Extension With Nets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kyrie Irving Interested In Discussing Extension With Nets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:21 pm

Kyrie Irving is seeking a contract extension with the Brooklyn Nets, but his agent tells Chris Haynes of Bleacher Report that discussions have yet to commence.

Irving is in the final season of his current deal and would become an unrestricted free agent this offseason if an extension isn't reached.

"Around Kyrie and staying with the Nets? I have reached out to the Nets regarding this," his agent Shetellia Irving told Bleacher Report. "We have had no significant conversations to date. The desire is to make Brooklyn home, with the right type of extension, which means the ball is in the Nets' court to communicate now if their desire is the same."

Irving is eligible for a max extension of four years and roughly $200 million.

Via Chris Haynes/Bleacher Report

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,154

Re: Kyrie Irving Interested In Discussing Extension With Nets 

Post#2 » by Revived » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:26 am

Kyrie’s been pretty quiet and focused on basketball and playing well this season…but I wonder if that’s because he’s in a contract season and will revert back to his old ways and being a distraction again once he gets paid.

Not sure committing $200 million to him would be a smart idea for any team really.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:33 am

Revived wrote:Kyrie’s been pretty quiet and focused on basketball and playing well this season…but I wonder if that’s because he’s in a contract season and will revert back to his old ways and being a distraction again once he gets paid.

Not sure committing $200 million to him would be a smart idea for any team really.

Nope. A one-year max with no trade kicker is the most they should offer. (A 1+1 with a team option would be preferable.)
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 515

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:13 am

I’m surprised he’s still on the team after his last round of antics, but for some reason, I won’t be surprised if they extend him.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
napdash
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#5 » by napdash » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:27 am

TheCage4 wrote:I’m surprised he’s still on the team after his last round of antics, but for some reason, I won’t be surprised if they extend him.

Antics, eh? You're clearly not really keeping up with the news.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:09 am

Let consult with the leadership team first.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,781

Post#7 » by beeshma » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:04 am

I would love to see Kyrie on the open market to understand how the league perceives his value. For that reason alone, I hope the Nets don't extend him.

I think of Kyrie as a player with all star production, but with three negatives: 1) he misses a lot of time each season, 2) he creates distractions in the press that detract from the team's chemistry, and 3) he's not coachable.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,789

Post#8 » by OriginalRed » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 am

I don't think they want to give him the max but what choices do they really have? You let Kyrie walk and KD is done with this team and you have no picks to rebuild. Might as well ride out this KD/Kyrie duo and try to put more pieces around them and hope Kyrie stays focused on basketball.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#9 » by Gooner » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 am

Kyrie brings the crowd to their arena. You had Zlatan, Mbappe, Hakimi, Federer in Barclays. If Kyrie leaves KD will go too and you have none of that anymore.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#10 » by haste10176 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:35 pm

Gooner wrote:Kyrie brings the crowd to their arena. You had Zlatan, Mbappe, Hakimi, Federer in Barclays. If Kyrie leaves KD will go too and you have none of that anymore.

If Kyrie plays.. Plus actually nets didnt even draw big crowds even with KD and Kyrie the opposition fans are often those in attendance.. They should really have gone to the knicks but thats another story.. 4 year max where Kyrie can do whatever he wants again good luck.. His talent is worth it but he is not reliable nets in a tough spot..
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#11 » by Tom White » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:55 pm

Gooner wrote:You had Zlatan, Mbappe, Hakimi, Federer in Barclays.

I don't remember those guys contributing to any wins. More concerned with celebs than team?
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#12 » by MegaK » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:48 pm

Yo we know he gone to the Knicks bro !
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#13 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:05 pm

Past performance is not indicative of future results but this is Kyire we are talking about. Once he signs that guaranteed contract all bests are off. Good often great basketball player but it's the intangibles that drive you crazy about this guy.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#14 » by Temuhjan » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 pm

$55m/2 years sound reasonable. If he cause trouble again, least his contract will be tradeable.

Kyrie can probably get the same offer from another team in the open market, but then he will be expected to perform on Day 1.

It is up to him.
GMjobZK
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#15 » by GMjobZK » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:16 am

Sure… here’s 200 mill but language in the contract is going to have to have no payment for missed games. Like every other employer, you get 5 sick days or 5 sick games in this case. He doesn’t like it!? Have a nice day! Amazing talent but unreliable and not worth the risk.

Return to Wiretap Discussion