Fred VanVleet Drawing Interest From Several Teams, Including Magic

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Fred VanVleet Drawing Interest From Several Teams, Including Magic 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:51 am

Fred VanVleet is drawing trade interest from several teams, including the Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns, Washington Wizards, and Orlando Magic, sources told Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report.

The Magic are reportedly looking to bring in a point guard for the long term to develop next to their young talent, which assumes that VanVleet would re-sign with the team should he get traded.

VanVleet is widely expected to opt out of his player option this summer.  

Via Eric Pincus/Bleacher Report

SkynMan
Sophomore
And1: 24

Re: Fred VanVleet Drawing Interest From Several Teams, Including Magic 

Post#2 » by SkynMan » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:40 pm

Cole Anthony, Mo Wagner, 2023 1st rd pick unprotected for FVV
TSmith0197
Junior
And1: 334

Post#3 » by TSmith0197 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:19 pm

SkynMan wrote:Cole Anthony, Mo Wagner, 2023 1st rd pick unprotected for FVV

Orlando isn’t giving Toronto or anyone unprotected with VW and Scoot in this draft.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#4 » by dubbmotta » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:50 pm

TSmith0197 wrote:

Orlando isn’t giving Toronto or anyone unprotected with VW and Scoot in this draft.

FACTS...plus they could sign FVV outright end of the season.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#5 » by Indeed » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:22 pm

Salary doesn't work, and it Suggs!
I think Isaac + Suggs + Chicago 1st for VanVleet + Flynn, but I guess Magic would be thinking VanVleet is a FA, and they can sign him outright if they renouce their cap holds on Ross (17m) and waive Harris (13m) and Bamba (10m) to create ~25m (134m - 112m [base salary] - 14m [cap hold without Ross] - 7m [top 5 rookie salary] - 13m [Harris] - 10m [Bamba]).

dubbmotta wrote:
TSmith0197 wrote:

They don't need to give their 1st round pick, they got Chicago 1st round pick.
As for signing VanVleet outright, they will need to renouce a lot of things plus waiving their players, which I wouldn't surprise they rather give Toronto a pick on a S&T to get near the tax for any future trades.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,713

Post#6 » by Ell Curry » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:43 pm

Yeah, even the famously bad Crash Wallace for Lillard deal was because Billy King thought it was a "3 player draft." So i'd say best case scenario for this pick as a Raptors fan is top 3 protected. Have to assume Orlando would rather have whatever player they like most from Brandon Miller or Amen Thompson, or the ability to trade down to say #5 or #6 and just take Cason Wallace and add an extra first that they can probably turn into a Van Vleet level player with another lottery protected first and say Mo Bamba and Fultz/Isaac's deals. They don't need to complete their team yet.
Where's the D?
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#7 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:24 pm

Fultz/Bamba the Bulls 23 1st and the Nuggets 25 1st for FVV and Otto Porter
Go Knicks!
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#8 » by purpleswordfish » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:42 pm

Raptors fans are so nice. But, what they think they're going to get for a guy that is about to be a free agent is crazy. The Magic have zero incentive to give up anything useful for a guy that could be signed outright in the offseason. Additionally, VanVleet isn't exactly having a banner year efficiency-wise. He seems like a more expensive replacement for the already inefficient backcourt.

If the Magic even think about giving up a FRP, the whole front office should be fired. The current front office has done well with those lately (Wagner, Banchero).
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:31 am

Indeed wrote:

Salary doesn't work, and it Suggs!
I think Isaac + Suggs + Chicago 1st for VanVleet + Flynn, but I guess Magic would be thinking VanVleet is a FA, and they can sign him outright if they renouce their cap holds on Ross (17m) and waive Harris (13m) and Bamba (10m) to create ~25m (134m - 112m [base salary] - 14m [cap hold without Ross] - 7m [top 5 rookie salary] - 13m [Harris] - 10m [Bamba]).

dubbmotta wrote:
TSmith0197 wrote:Orlando isn’t giving Toronto or anyone unprotected with VW and Scoot in this draft.

They don't need to give their 1st round pick, they got Chicago 1st round pick.
As for signing VanVleet outright, they will need to renouce a lot of things plus waiving their players, which I wouldn't surprise they rather give Toronto a pick on a S&T to get near the tax for any future trades.

DING DING DING!

Magic are probably offering the package of players that they'd have to renounce (and I think that maybe Fultz or Anthony too) plus a pick that they have from another team so they could have him right now. I think all of this is really under the assumption that FVV would sign an extension with them. I would be pretty shocked if they moved off Suggs this early and with his value as low as it currently is, especially because the Magic are gonna have one of the biggest wallets going into this off-season.
Go Knicks!
TGM
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#10 » by TGM » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:42 am

purpleswordfish wrote:Raptors fans are so nice. But, what they think they're going to get for a guy that is about to be a free agent is crazy. The Magic have zero incentive to give up anything useful for a guy that could be signed outright in the offseason. Additionally, VanVleet isn't exactly having a banner year efficiency-wise. He seems like a more expensive replacement for the already inefficient backcourt.

If the Magic even think about giving up a FRP, the whole front office should be fired. The current front office has done well with those lately (Wagner, Banchero).

You realize Fred is very much a player about the money. Raps can offer him the most if he resigns and also the extra year. For a guy like Fred milking a fifth year is worth a lot. So don’t think the Raptors will just lose this guy outright. There are also other promising teams with cap space, so even if Fred goes he may choose a more competitive team. If Paul is going to retire or moved. I think Booker, Bridges, Johnson and Ayton is a much closer to winning team.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#11 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:47 pm

:lol:
An UNPROTECTED first in this draft for Van VLEET?!
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Wiretap Discussion