Lonzo Ball 'Nowhere Close' To Returning

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lonzo Ball 'Nowhere Close' To Returning 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:12 pm

Chicago Bulls guard Lonzo Ball is "nowhere close" to returning, per Bulls coach Billy Donovan. Ball still hasn't progressed to consistent running a year after having meniscus surgery.

“He’s made some progress, but I’d be the first one to tell you he’s nowhere near playing,” Donovan said. “He’s just not. Because he’s not running on a consistent basis. When he can get to that place where he can do that consistently and be able to come back the next day and do it again, do it again and do it again — I think you’ll feel a little bit more optimistic.”

Ball last played in a game on January 14, 2022. Ball still can't run at full speed and do more than light jumping to shoot or dunk. Donovan said Bulls leadership would need to see significant improvement before the All-Star Break, or it's time for some difficult conversations.

“If you start to get to that point, I think there will probably end up being some conversations: ‘OK, what if he’s still not close to playing? What’s the plan going forward?’” Donovan said.

Via Julia Poe/Chicago Tribune

lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Re: Lonzo Ball 'Nowhere Close' To Returning 

Post#2 » by lonea » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:30 pm

what is wrong is this dude....
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,692

Post#3 » by Zeno » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:31 pm

Really sad. Love Lonzo’s game. Hope he can make it back but it’s not looking good. For the Bulls, it really sucks but it also really shows how little upside was in the team they tried to build.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#4 » by 31to6 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:42 pm

Did he choose to have the meniscus attempt-to-repair surgery, rather than just trim-shave/cut-your-losses surgery?

When I tore my meniscus I went with the latter — the recovery time for the former was much longer, and it was explained to me that it’s not always successful.

I obviously haven’t followed Lonzo’s case closely, but I hope it’s more letting the perfect be the enemy of the good than that his knee is irrevocably **** up.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:54 pm

31to6 wrote:Did he choose to have the meniscus attempt-to-repair surgery, rather than just trim-shave/cut-your-losses surgery?

When I tore my meniscus I went with the latter — the recovery time for the former was much longer, and it was explained to me that it’s not always successful.

I obviously haven’t followed Lonzo’s case closely, but I hope it’s more letting the perfect be the enemy of the good than that his knee is irrevocably **** up.

I think they short of it is, they don't know what is going on with Lonzo.

They said 6 weeks for meniscus originally which to me sounds like the trim/shave, then they said he had a bone bruise. Then they went in to do another surgery in Sept, and LaVar (for however much you can trust LaVar) made the most explicit comments about it and said they found some stuff in there that they shaved and cleaned up and that Lonzo would now be great.

I don't know that there is a lot of specific information going on. All they say now is that his knee basically isn't responding and he's not getting better. My guess is that whatever is going on here is degenerative and he's just probably not going to get better.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:33 pm

dougthonus wrote:
31to6 wrote:Did he choose to have the meniscus attempt-to-repair surgery, rather than just trim-shave/cut-your-losses surgery?

I think they short of it is, they don't know what is going on with Lonzo.

They said 6 weeks for meniscus originally which to me sounds like the trim/shave, then they said he had a bone bruise. Then they went in to do another surgery in Sept, and LaVar (for however much you can trust LaVar) made the most explicit comments about it and said they found some stuff in there that they shaved and cleaned up and that Lonzo would now be great.

I don't know that there is a lot of specific information going on. All they say now is that his knee basically isn't responding and he's not getting better. My guess is that whatever is going on here is degenerative and he's just probably not going to get better.

Thanks for the perspective. I’m often impressed how little actual info we get on the specifics of injuries. I mean, I guess guys have the right — perhaps? I don’t know — to some privacy. But then again, in cases like this, a year or so can go by, and we don’t honestly know if what the situation is is more medically-based, or more personality-based. Not saying Lonzo’s not hurt — I’m sure he is, and that sucks because I like his game. But if his dad is involved in any decision making whatsoever about how he recuperates etc then who really knows what’s going on here?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,890

Post#7 » by ItsDanger » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:43 pm

There are risks with a lot of surgeries that people assume are routine. In this case, sounds like nerve damage occurred. If so, his career is in jeopardy. We're given very few details which is hard to understand. Why the big secret? Given the time and lack of progress since the most recent procedure (5 months maybe?), Bulls need to be proactive in a decision to stay the course or move on. Time passes and other players get older, contracts expire, etc. What kind of player will be be on return?

What a mess. I would cut my losses and move on. That goes for rest of the roster.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:08 pm

31to6 wrote:Thanks for the perspective. I’m often impressed how little actual info we get on the specifics of injuries. I mean, I guess guys have the right — perhaps? I don’t know — to some privacy. But then again, in cases like this, a year or so can go by, and we don’t honestly know if what the situation is is more medically-based, or more personality-based. Not saying Lonzo’s not hurt — I’m sure he is, and that sucks because I like his game. But if his dad is involved in any decision making whatsoever about how he recuperates etc then who really knows what’s going on here?

Yeah, many fans get upset when a guy can't go or is hurt, call him soft or whatever. I never get it really.

If there's an obvious conflict between team/player sure, maybe something is going on, but in a case like this, it's obvious as heck Lonzo would go if he could and wishes he was out there. He posted some videos of his rehab recently and look slike he can barely jog (he posted one jogging on a treadmill, and he has a huge hitch in his stride).

As a human wishing good things upon people in general, I hope Lonzo is able to work through it eventually, while also acknowledging that many people have chronic pain/suffering and don't have 100M dollars to help them cope with it, so Lonzo's still got it pretty good in the grand scheme of life even though I'm sure he's legitimately suffering both mentally and physically through this.

I doubt his dad is much of a decision maker in this case (though who am I to know), just that his dad was spouting off his general "my kids are going to be the greatest" stuff and "of course lonzo will be back" etc...

Either way, tough situation for Lonzo and the team. It will be interesting if the injury is viewed as career ending and the Bulls look to waive him.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#9 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:20 am

Lakers expiring contracts for Zo’s horrendous ling tern contract and LA homeowner DeMar
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#10 » by objectivefan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:27 pm

CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $80,000,000

Looks like we are heading into a medical insurance situation

I will never begrudge any athlete for getting as much money as possible during contract negotiations
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#11 » by TheCage4 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:44 pm

Why is Chicago trying to get Lonzo back this season...so they can lose in the play-in?

He's obviously not coming back this year. Shut him down and reevaluate in the offseason.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion