Kings Monitoring Matisse Thybulle

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kings Monitoring Matisse Thybulle  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:49 am

The Sacramento Kings are monitoring the potential availability of Matisse Thybulle, sources told Marc Stein of Substack.

The team is reportedly looking for a defensive-minded option at the wing position.

Stein also adds that the Kings are unlikely to buy out Richaun Holmes due to contract complications. 

Via Marc Stein/Substack

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Kings Monitoring Matisse Thybulle 

Post#2 » by Cassius » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:43 pm

Kings get: Thybulle and Korkmaz > A wing defender and a "shooter"
Sixers get: Thad Young, Juancho Hernangomez > Expiring forwards who can play without the ball, Thad Young homecoming for the title run
Raptors get: Richaun Holmes > A center!

Numbers might not add up, but it's close

Thoughts?
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#3 » by alphatron10 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:34 pm

Cassius wrote:Kings get: Thybulle and Korkmaz > A wing defender and a "shooter"
Sixers get: Thad Young, Juancho Hernangomez > Expiring forwards who can play without the ball, Thad Young homecoming for the title run

Thoughts?

That works numbers wise
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#4 » by the_process » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:29 pm

Thoughts?

That package does not help the Sixers on the court, they have Tucker, Harris, and Niang. It also doesn't get them out of the tax.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Post#5 » by Embiid P » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:41 pm

the_process wrote:

Thoughts?

That package does not help the Sixers on the court, they have Tucker, Harris, and Niang. It also doesn't get them out of the tax.

This. As a Sixers fan, I have to hard pass on this one. While I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Thad for his 7 seasons with us, the last thing we need is another older, undersized PF/C who can't shoot and a virtual non-factor in Hernangomez. Thybulle, despite his obvious offensive limitations, provides a much needed skillset with his ability to bother and rack up deflections against smaller, quicker guards with his length and lateral quickness.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:30 pm

Embiid P wrote:
the_process wrote:

Thoughts?

This. As a Sixers fan, I have to hard pass on this one. While I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Thad for his 7 seasons with us, the last thing we need is another older, undersized PF/C who can't shoot and a virtual non-factor in Hernangomez. Thybulle, despite his obvious offensive limitations, provides a much needed skillset with his ability to bother and rack up deflections against smaller, quicker guards with his length and lateral quickness.

Agreed, the Sixers have some key needs and they’re not necessarily interested in Matisse long term (he’s ending his room deal this year), but any Thybulle deal would need to directly address those needs with a guy capable of playing good PO minutes. Thybulle’s already filling a useful role, it’s just that the role isn’t that essential for PHL and Thybulle’s not good enough at it to make up for that lack of intense need.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#7 » by Cassius » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:31 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Embiid P wrote:
the_process wrote:

Agreed, the Sixers have some key needs and they’re not necessarily interested in Matisse long term (he’s ending his room deal this year), but any Thybulle deal would need to directly address those needs with a guy capable of playing good PO minutes. Thybulle’s already filling a useful role, it’s just that the role isn’t that essential for PHL and Thybulle’s not good enough at it to make up for that lack of intense need.

Not sure what the needs are... I thought fans were happy with Paul and Trez at backup C, but I don't see any other bodies to throw at Giannis or Horford. The roster seems pretty complete aside from more SF/PF. Toronto has 5M under the tax, so it could be expanded to get your 2M tax overage cleared.

I assume a true SF with a jumper is what you're looking for, but getting someone better than House without compromising the rest of the rotation seems like a tall order.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#8 » by the_process » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:42 pm

Cassius wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Not sure what the needs are... I thought fans were happy with Paul and Trez at backup C, but I don't see any other bodies to throw at Giannis or Horford. The roster seems pretty complete aside from more SF/PF. Toronto has 5M under the tax, so it could be expanded to get your 2M tax overage cleared.

I assume a true SF with a jumper is what you're looking for, but getting someone better than House without compromising the rest of the rotation seems like a tall order.

Montrez Harrell is mostly unplayable even in the regular season. Glenn Rivers will not play Paul Reed. So they need another backup C. But that's another story.

Here, Toronto is a bad fit as the 3rd team. Charlotte would be much better.

Holmes and SAC 2nd to CHA
Plumlee and Thybulle to SAC
McDaniels to PHI
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#9 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 pm

the_process wrote:
Cassius wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Agreed, the Sixers have some key needs and they’re not necessarily interested in Matisse long term (he’s ending his room deal this year), but any Thybulle deal would need to directly address those needs with a guy capable of playing good PO minutes. Thybulle’s already filling a useful role, it’s just that the role isn’t that essential for PHL and Thybulle’s not good enough at it to make up for that lack of intense need.

Montrez Harrell is mostly unplayable even in the regular season. Glenn Rivers will not play Paul Reed. So they need another backup C. But that's another story.
McDaniels to PHI

Ha, yeah whatever Sixers fan told you were ‘happy’ with Trez was probably playing with you. He’s basically a punchline at this point, he can’t really do anything on offense anymore besides stand in the dunker and up fake, and he’s gotta be a bottom 5 defensive center in the league at this point.

So Sixers could use an upgrade there (also throw in a stretchy 5, not a need but would be cool). Could also use a big wing who’s good at help defense (doesn’t need to be lockdown guy), like a Covington type. And any vet 1-4 who can play PO minutes and just be competent, make the right reads and rotations and hit some open shots etc. We have decent players at the backup slots but they’re all young or flighty or flawed (like Matisse) and have cost us in previous POs.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#10 » by haste10176 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 3:05 am

HotelVitale wrote:
the_process wrote:
Cassius wrote:Not sure what the needs are... I thought fans were happy with Paul and Trez at backup C, but I don't see any other bodies to throw at Giannis or Horford. The roster seems pretty complete aside from more SF/PF. Toronto has 5M under the tax, so it could be expanded to get your 2M tax overage cleared.

McDaniels to PHI

Ha, yeah whatever Sixers fan told you were ‘happy’ with Trez was probably playing with you. He’s basically a punchline at this point, he can’t really do anything on offense anymore besides stand in the dunker and up fake, and he’s gotta be a bottom 5 defensive center in the league at this point.

So Sixers could use an upgrade there (also throw in a stretchy 5, not a need but would be cool). Could also use a big wing who’s good at help defense (doesn’t need to be lockdown guy), like a Covington type. And any vet 1-4 who can play PO minutes and just be competent, make the right reads and rotations and hit some open shots etc. We have decent players at the backup slots but they’re all young or flighty or flawed (like Matisse) and have cost us in previous POs.

Trez was always all this.. Thats why the clippers ditched him and then the lakers werent upset to see him go.. Trez was good in the Seasons grind though but unplayable in the playoffs
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Wed Feb 1, 2023 3:19 am

haste10176 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
the_process wrote:Montrez Harrell is mostly unplayable even in the regular season. Glenn Rivers will not play Paul Reed. So they need another backup C. But that's another story.
McDaniels to PHI

Trez was always all this.. Thats why the clippers ditched him and then the lakers werent upset to see him go.. Trez was good in the Seasons grind though but unplayable in the playoffs

He’s lost some of the athleticism and quickness he had back on the Clippers, or all of it I should say. He looks really slow and really just kinda nothing out there. He can finish if he’s right at the cup I guess, but that’s not enough to be playing by rotation minutes for a contender.

Just checked—on the Clips he was averaging around 23/9 per 36, so he was at least pretty productive if one dimensional. Now he’s down to 16/8 per 36, in addition to not stretching floor or adding anything else and sucking powerfully at defense. It’s a serious mystery to Sixers fans what’s on Doc’s mind.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,255

Post#12 » by pr0wler » Wed Feb 1, 2023 10:58 am

HotelVitale wrote:
haste10176 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

He’s lost some of the athleticism and quickness he had back on the Clippers, or all of it I should say. He looks really slow and really just kinda nothing out there. He can finish if he’s right at the cup I guess, but that’s not enough to be playing by rotation minutes for a contender.

Just checked—on the Clips he was averaging around 23/9 per 36, so he was at least pretty productive if one dimensional. Now he’s down to 16/8 per 36, in addition to not stretching floor or adding anything else and sucking powerfully at defense. It’s a serious mystery to Sixers fans what’s on Doc’s mind.

I feel you. But Paul Reed is very limited offensively, and not like he's a defensive stalwart either. Better than Trez on that end sure, but not enough to justify pretty lackluster offense.

Also, no reason why Trez can't pick things up going forward. He hasn't been unplayable, just a bit below career numbers per36, but I expect some regression back to the mean by the time the season is finished.

Return to Wiretap Discussion