Kyrie Irving Requests Trade From Nets

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Kyrie Irving Requests Trade From Nets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:57 pm

Kyrie Irving has informed the Brooklyn Nets that he would like a trade by the deadline and that he plans to leave as a free agent this offseason if he is not accommodated. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Kyrie Irving Requests Trade From Nets 

Post#2 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:04 pm

Here we go yo!

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#3 » by tigerae » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:11 pm

This season has been so crazy so far, it only makes sense for Kyrie to be in the spotlight again. I'm guessing the Nets told him no extension talks until the summer and he didn't like that. He has been playing fantastic, but he's a ticking time bomb so u don't blame them. Case in point.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:23 pm

I read this as Kyrie didn't make traction on his extension request. I don't think the Nets will get anything in trade for him and are better off keeping him most likely given they have a chance to catch lightning in a bottle this season and then figure out next year later.

I also don't think there will be a robust market for Kyrie in the off-season given all the baggage he has accumulated and risk of him deciding he just doesn't want to play basketball for whatever reason on top of the risk that a chronically injured player gets hurt or the risk that he ages out. When Kyrie sees that market, he may approach the Nets differently.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#5 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:32 pm

This isn't Kyrie craziness. It's just smart business posturing for the extension. Kyrie played himself back into a valuable NBA asset (All-Star Starter) and now is the moment to leverage that.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,058

Post#6 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:35 pm

Unless there is a crazy offer on the table I don't trade him. He doesn't like that and doesn't want to play out the season, fine don't. Need to send a message to these players that this tactic isn't going to work.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#7 » by LakersLegacy » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:40 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Unless there is a crazy offer on the table I don't trade him. He doesn't like that and doesn't want to play out the season, fine don't. Need to send a message to these players that this tactic isn't going to work.

You at least steal a Lakers unprotected first round pick trading an expiring contract for an expiring contract??
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#8 » by LakersLegacy » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:41 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Kyrie Irving has informed the Brooklyn Nets that he would like a trade by the deadline and that he plans to leave as a free agent this offseason if he is not accommodated. Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

At least cap room can get Kyrie if he is not traded
BurningRome
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#9 » by BurningRome » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:46 pm

Why doesn't Kyrie just retire...?
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#10 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Feb 3, 2023 7:46 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:This isn't Kyrie craziness. It's just smart business posturing for the extension. Kyrie played himself back into a valuable NBA asset (All-Star Starter) and now is the moment to leverage that.
Kyrie is worth nothing as an asset and this BS will only futher kill his value, in particular if he ends up sabotating the Nets season further
Слава Украине!
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#11 » by BigHustle » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:03 pm

Kyrie sore about losing to Celtics and getting booed at the garden.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#12 » by Tom White » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:14 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:This isn't Kyrie craziness.

The guy is bat **** crazy.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#13 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:28 pm

Wait?! He's asking to be traded again? I thought everything was going great! I guess they really do need to just move him for a boatload of draft picks. He's insanely talented, there's no denying that at all. I'm just wondering who can and would trade for him? I'd honestly love to see him in San Antonio. I think he would be a great fit there and if there's a coach that could ever get through to him, it would be Popovich.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#14 » by bqmuzik » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:32 pm

No one he would want to play for will have the money to sign him. Nets hold the cards
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 3, 2023 8:43 pm

bqmuzik wrote:No one he would want to play for will have the money to sign him. Nets hold the cards

All 30 teams will have the vet-min available. :wink:
Insane13
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#16 » by Insane13 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:20 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:This isn't Kyrie craziness. It's just smart business posturing for the extension. Kyrie played himself back into a valuable NBA asset (All-Star Starter) and now is the moment to leverage that.
Kyrie is worth nothing as an asset and this BS will only futher kill his value, in particular if he ends up sabotating the Nets season further

He definitely got value he’s an all star starter
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 76

Post#17 » by elmdawgg69 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:26 pm

Nets can keep him and offer more than anyone else will this off-season.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:33 pm

Insane13 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

GM's don't evaluate talent by the number of All-Star votes they receive. They evaluate talent by assessing how they might fit with their team on and off the court. All 30 GM's know that Kyrie can play. Not one of those GM's are convinced that Kyrie won't erode their team from within. Kyrie is an unknown quantity.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:36 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:Nets can keep him and offer more than anyone else will this off-season.

They will likely keep him and S&T him over the summer for Rui at about about $60/3 and a 1st.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#20 » by HotelVitale » Fri Feb 3, 2023 9:42 pm

Insane13 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

He’s definitely far from worthless but he’s also the biggest timebomb in the league, and he’s just made clear that he won’t accept less than a gigantic guaranteed contract. All after he missed half of last season without injuries, just missed couple weeks cuz anti semitism, missed plenty of time before that with injuries, and for the foreseeable future is the closest thing to a Kanye ‘what the hell is he gonna do next’ type that the NBA has.

If you don’t think it matters—a lot—you’re missing the whole context. I don’t know what Kyries market is now but it’s hard to imagine anyone offering him something like a 4-5 year vet max. He’s just not reliable and comes with way too much risk atm. I don’t mind that he’s betting on himself but it’s definitely a gamble and not an obvious savvy move.

Return to Wiretap Discussion