Knicks, Jazz Discussed Swapping Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin And Picks For Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Knicks, Jazz Discussed Swapping Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin And Picks For Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 7, 2023 2:21 pm

The New York Knicks are looking for ways to upgrade their rotation. New York would like to land a wing and potentially another big. That's led a member of their front office to a couple of familiar faces.

The Knicks and Utah Jazz have talked a trade that would see Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin and draft picks sent to the Jazz for Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt. Both Beasley and Vanderbilt were signed to their current contracts by Knicks assistant GM Gersson Rosas when all were member of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Toppin would fill the Jazz goal of continuing to build around players under team control, while adding additional draft picks. Beasley and Vanderbilt would be rotation upgrades for New York as they chase a playoff spot.

Via Time MacMahon/ESPN

TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Re: Knicks, Jazz Discussed Swapping Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin And Picks For Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt 

Post#3 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Feb 7, 2023 4:09 pm

Utah should jump on this deal. Toppin will be unleashed with more playing time.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Re: Knicks, Jazz Discussed Swapping Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin And Picks For Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt 

Post#4 » by duetta » Tue Feb 7, 2023 4:55 pm

Fire Leon Rose if this kind of deal goes down.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#5 » by mudsak » Tue Feb 7, 2023 5:16 pm

Good deal for both sides. Vando probably fits the NYK roster better from a roll standpoint, Beasley is plug-n-play 3pt assassin, and the Knicks get out of that Fournier contract. Jazz gets a young prospect in Topin, who probably fits their roster better than Vando, and gets more draft capital. It's a good trade for both teams. Knicks improve after the trade, Jazz take solid rebuilding steps.
bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#6 » by bockingknickers » Tue Feb 7, 2023 7:55 pm

mudsak wrote:Good deal for both sides. Vando probably fits the NYK roster better from a roll standpoint, Beasley is plug-n-play 3pt assassin, and the Knicks get out of that Fournier contract. Jazz gets a young prospect in Topin, who probably fits their roster better than Vando, and gets more draft capital. It's a good trade for both teams. Knicks improve after the trade, Jazz take solid rebuilding steps.

I wouldn’t say shooting 36% from 3 this season is an assassin but he probably brings better d than fornier. Toppin clearly is being misused, should be pick and roll guy all day instead Thibs has him playing catch/shoot from the corner.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#7 » by mudsak » Wed Feb 8, 2023 4:32 am

bockingknickers wrote:
mudsak wrote:Good deal for both sides. Vando probably fits the NYK roster better from a roll standpoint, Beasley is plug-n-play 3pt assassin, and the Knicks get out of that Fournier contract. Jazz gets a young prospect in Topin, who probably fits their roster better than Vando, and gets more draft capital. It's a good trade for both teams. Knicks improve after the trade, Jazz take solid rebuilding steps.

I wouldn’t say shooting 36% from 3 this season is an assassin but he probably brings better d than fornier. Toppin clearly is being misused, should be pick and roll guy all day instead Thibs has him playing catch/shoot from the corner.

Beasley is a 3pt assassin man... he's slumped a little bit recently... I personally think the trade rumors have been getting to him. He was shooting above 40% for a long stretch earlier. His career is 38%. He shoots a ton of volume on 3's tho... nearly 9 attempts per game. He's made 169 3's this year... 7th most in the league. Before he started slumping dude was automatic. He's dangerous from the arc. He can be a real difference maker in a game...I think especially in a playoff type of setting.

Anyways... I think it's an interesting trade for both teams. Knicks have surprised me this year. Brunson better than I expected... Randle back to All Star form again... didn't see that coming. You guys have assets... This wouldn't be a very costly trade to add a couple solid pieces that can plug right in and play their rolls effectively... maybe this offseason you guys can nail a bigger piece and be up in the mix.

Return to Wiretap Discussion