Bronny James Tabbed As Top-10 Pick In Mock 2024 NBA Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

YourGM99
Junior
And1: 61

Re: Bronny James Tabbed As Top-10 Pick In Mock 2024 NBA Draft 

Post#21 » by YourGM99 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:16 pm

jstudabaka wrote:I feel that easily the worst part of Lebron's legacy is the whole LeGM and politicking aspect. The way he pressured GMs into often dumb draft, trade, or FA moves to appease him and then left them holding the bag is definitely a stain. If he'd just stayed with Miami and let Pat and Spo do their thing, I think he'd definitely have another ring or two and a better overall legacy. And the whole Bronny situation with him looming is just the latest iteration of it. I guess you could argue that, without Lebron, Bronny wouldn't even be a draft consideration, so no harm done -- but I think Lebron's mainly setting him up to be a joke about nepotism by talking so much about playing with his son. Lebron could have at least pretended to stay out of the situation -- teams obviously would have given Bronny a look anyway and likely taken a flyer on him.

Jordan did the same thing, Kobe too… You don’t think the best players have influence on every team? You don’t think Dallas is consulting Luka on their decisions and getting his input? The same could be said for every star player. Westbrook just signed with the clippers, why? Because their star players wanted to play with him. Lebron left every team holding a championship.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 pm

YourGM99 wrote:
jstudabaka wrote:I feel that easily the worst part of Lebron's legacy is the whole LeGM and politicking aspect. The way he pressured GMs into often dumb draft, trade, or FA moves to appease him and then left them holding the bag is definitely a stain. If he'd just stayed with Miami and let Pat and Spo do their thing, I think he'd definitely have another ring or two and a better overall legacy. And the whole Bronny situation with him looming is just the latest iteration of it. I guess you could argue that, without Lebron, Bronny wouldn't even be a draft consideration, so no harm done -- but I think Lebron's mainly setting him up to be a joke about nepotism by talking so much about playing with his son. Lebron could have at least pretended to stay out of the situation -- teams obviously would have given Bronny a look anyway and likely taken a flyer on him.

Jordan did the same thing, Kobe too… You don’t think the best players have influence on every team? You don’t think Dallas is consulting Luka on their decisions and getting his input? The same could be said for every star player. Westbrook just signed with the clippers, why? Because their star players wanted to play with him. Lebron left every team holding a championship.

I blame the org a lot more than I blame Lebron. IIRC Lebron never went out and publicly demanded a trade in the middle of a contract (or even worse at the beginning of a contract, like some players have.) Everyone who has real weight in the league- owner, player, exec, advertiser, whatever- is going to make it felt at some point- that in itself is not fundamentally bad or wrong.

If you're going to sign Lebron, you do so with both eyes open. Either you're willing to put your foot down when necessary, or you accept all the good and the bad that comes along with signing the guy with most weight in the league because you're guaranteed to sell a lot of season tickets and advertising.

OTOH players who try to engineer their own trades to their desired teams, threaten to sit out, etc. are the ones who are potentially violating their contracts and are problematic for the sport.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Post#23 » by Hipster Doofus » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:39 pm

LOL!
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#24 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:57 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Oncloud9 wrote:ESPN media hype. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... every other reputable draft board has late late 20s in the first round to mid second round. Bronny has as about the same odds as LiAngelo Ball to be first round pick.

Wanna put money on it that he’s drafted in the top 16 picks? Supposedly he has improved tremendously this year whereas he may have been on the cusp on not even making the league out the gate. I remember when was ranked 44 overall or even worse. He’s jumped to #33 on rivals and 247. That can improve FYI. Look at Ja Morant and I’m not comparing the two in the slightest but you do know he was not the #2nd overall prospect on draft boards in high school

Well of course you can count on the knicks to make that pick :lol:
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#25 » by TheCage4 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:00 pm

I just spit soda all over my computer monitor. ESPN will be getting the bill.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#26 » by sjballer03 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:02 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
red_power wrote:Lakers bound.

Lebron is team Lebron, he doesn't care about the Lakers or what team he plays on. So if the kid gets drafted by Utah Lebron is Utah bound. He'll make up some lie about how Utah is where he dreamed he would retire. :lol:

"Before my career started, I said I was probably gonna retire in Utah. I don't know what made me say it. My friends was wit me and they was like ok."

"I grew up watching the great Jazz teams with Malone, Stockton, Hornacek, and Coach Sloan. Unfortunately they couldn't get it done, so I told myself I'd bring a championship to Utah one day.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#27 » by Phila Tough » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:04 pm

Leconnections
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#28 » by donemilio21 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:08 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Shouldn't the league be trying to transition away from Lebron? He's 38.

no reason to do so. He remains the most popular player in the world. While he is not the best player anymore, at age 38 he is easily a top 15 player, some would argue a top 10 player. He is averaging 30 points per game and has the 2nd highest usage rate in his career, again at age 38. Despite high usage, he remains efficient sitting at #11 at PER rankings. No reason to expect a nose dive in his performance and popularity in 18 months from now.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#29 » by HotelVitale » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:43 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Oncloud9 wrote:ESPN media hype. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... every other reputable draft board has late late 20s in the first round to mid second round. Bronny has as about the same odds as LiAngelo Ball to be first round pick.
Wanna put money on it that he’s drafted in the top 16 picks? Supposedly he has improved tremendously this year whereas he may have been on the cusp on not even making the league out the gate. I remember when was ranked 44 overall or even worse. He’s jumped to #33 on rivals and 247. That can improve FYI. Look at Ja Morant and I’m not comparing the two in the slightest but you do know he was not the #2nd overall prospect on draft boards in high school

jokeboy86 wrote:This is amazing. ESPN really doesn't know what to do without Lebron lol. Does Lebron's name and his family bring that much more significant eyeballs/pageclicks than other topics?

I don't know why people always do this but 'ESPN' didn't write this, the couple of people who have been the scouting staff and write draft articles for ESPN's website for the past like 8 years did it. If you have a problem with this, you have a problem with a basketball scout/writer named Jonathan Givony, not with 'ESPN.'
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#30 » by MagicMatic » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:54 pm

LOL :lol:
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#31 » by tidho » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:59 pm

TacoLord wrote:But how are the Lakers gonna draft him if the Pelicans own their pick???

you don't think the league will get them a pick by then?

look at the bench they just gifted them, c'mon now.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#32 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:04 pm

Nepo babies are all the rage......
xchange55
Senior
And1: 487

Post#33 » by xchange55 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:18 pm

Bronny hasn't signed on with a college yet because he would be riding the pine for all the top schools that gave him offers - in other words he is not a top 10 prospect. I sort of feel bad for him how "protected" and "coddled" he is - it's more likely to make him soft. I guess it will be like father like son - no drive and intensity - just wants the easy route.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,075

Post#34 » by jokeboy86 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:43 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

jokeboy86 wrote:This is amazing. ESPN really doesn't know what to do without Lebron lol. Does Lebron's name and his family bring that much more significant eyeballs/pageclicks than other topics?

I don't know why people always do this but 'ESPN' didn't write this, the couple of people who have been the scouting staff and write draft articles for ESPN's website for the past like 8 years did it. If you have a problem with this, you have a problem with a basketball scout/writer named Jonathan Givony, not with 'ESPN.'

You know what you're right. It's not like ESPN would go to Givony and ask him could he give a scouting report on Bronny so they could put it on the front page of the ESPN NBA site. I love Givony, always have but to act like he wouldn't take any suggestions from his employer about writing features or scouting reports about certain prospects to get clicks to the site or generate internet traffic(which it already has) would be just trying to deny that sports media/journalism isn't at the end of the day still a business.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#35 » by HotelVitale » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:07 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
cheese318 wrote: Wanna put money on it that he’s drafted in the top 16 picks? Supposedly he has improved tremendously this year whereas he may have been on the cusp on not even making the league out the gate. I remember when was ranked 44 overall or even worse. He’s jumped to #33 on rivals and 247. That can improve FYI. Look at Ja Morant and I’m not comparing the two in the slightest but you do know he was not the #2nd overall prospect on draft boards in high school

You know what you're right. It's not like ESPN would go to Givony and ask him could he give a scouting report on Bronny so they could put it on the front page of the ESPN NBA site. I love Givony, always have but to act like he wouldn't take any suggestions from his employer about writing features or scouting reports about certain prospects to get clicks to the site or generate internet traffic(which it already has) would be just trying to deny that sports media/journalism isn't at the end of the day still a business.

Sure but you don't know that conversation happened, and I'm guessing that you don't have much intimate knowledge of how ESPN produces its draft articles in general. So why do you think you know that the network is commanding its respected writers (whose reputation relies on justifying his draft takes) to make a bunch of ish up?

Also your scenario sounds very much like what journalists usually do--editor says 'hey can you cover this' and journalists pitches some angles on it--but that's far from what you're actually claiming to be outraged at. Which is Givony being forced by ESPN higher ups to falsely inflate Bronny's draft stock way beyond what he thinks it actually is. If you actually just think that ESPN said 'can you write a story on Bronny as a prospect around the AS break' then I'm not sure what there is to be upset about.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#36 » by dubbmotta » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:49 pm

You guys are all butthurt over a ranking..doesn't matter where he's ranked now depends on what he does next year. Dame Dolla, Herro, D Book, etc. none of those guys were in their pre-Mock Draft and they all went lottery..heck majority of the kids in the 2023 pre-mock are now borderline 2nd rounders (the Duke Kids especially) in the current 2023 Mock Draft
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,213

Post#37 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:04 pm

dubbmotta wrote:You guys are all butthurt over a ranking..doesn't matter where he's ranked now depends on what he does next year. Dame Dolla, Herro, D Book, etc. none of those guys were in their pre-Mock Draft and they all went lottery..heck majority of the kids in the 2023 pre-mock are now borderline 2nd rounders (the Duke Kids especially) in the current 2023 Mock Draft

Yeah Bronny could easily become a top 10 prospect in the next year… I wouldn’t bet on it but he is improving. He also might end up being ranked #100. Who knows but it will play out next year.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,247

Post#38 » by sfernald » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:21 pm

I watched the “Lebron reaching all time high scoring game” and the mother and two brothers were out there and honestly they were barely taller than the mother who was 5’7”. Hopefully she had on high heels. Anyway Lebron just towered over the two. I really doubt they are even 6 feet tall in reality. I don’t know if they are any good, but that doesn’t bode well right there.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#39 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 pm

xchange55 wrote:Bronny hasn't signed on with a college yet because he would be riding the pine for all the top schools that gave him offers - in other words he is not a top 10 prospect. I sort of feel bad for him how "protected" and "coddled" he is - it's more likely to make him soft. I guess it will be like father like son - no drive and intensity - just wants the easy route.

No drive and no intensity yet has 4 mvps, 4 fmvps and is the all time leading scorer in both the rs and ps. The things people will tell themselves in order to justify hating on people.. its absurd.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,587

Post#40 » by NBA4Lyfe » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:42 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Shouldn't the league be trying to transition away from Lebron? He's 38.

no reason to do so. He remains the most popular player in the world. While he is not the best player anymore, at age 38 he is easily a top 15 player, some would argue a top 10 player. He is averaging 30 points per game and has the 2nd highest usage rate in his career, again at age 38. Despite high usage, he remains efficient sitting at #11 at PER rankings. No reason to expect a nose dive in his performance and popularity in 18 months from now.

If lebron was as popular as you say, why don’t the tv ratings reflect that. Remember the 2007 nba finals tv ratings disaster. Lebron only draws huge ratings when he goes up againist curry and yes harden. Lebron by himself isn’t a draw, at least not the draw espn and fs1 would have you believe he is

Return to Wiretap Discussion