NBA Teams Strongly Considering Brandon Miller Over Scoot Henderson At No. 2

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Teams Strongly Considering Brandon Miller Over Scoot Henderson At No. 2 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:57 pm

Brandon Miller has emerged with the potential to go No. 2 in the 2023 NBA draft ahead of Scoot Henderson. Miller is a 6'9 multi-dimensional wing while Henderson is a 6'2 super athletic combo guard. 

"NBA teams are telling me he is firmly in the mix at No. 2," said ESPN's Jonathan Givony on NBA Today.

"I talked to a veteran executive just in the last week and he told me he currently has Brandon Miller No. 2 on his board," said Brian Windhorst on his podcast on Wednesday. "So it is a thing."

Sam Veccine of The Athletic shared a similar sentiment this week as well.

"It is not a foregone conclusion that Henderson will be picked at No. 2. I’ve talked with a number of lead front-office executives as well as high-level scouts who either think the margin between Miller and Henderson is razor thin or just have Miller ahead at this point," wrote Veccine.

While the No. 2 pick is a subject of debate, Victor Wembanyama remains the consensus option at No. 1. 

Via RealGM Staff Report

ChaiSudle
Freshman
And1: 98

Re: NBA Teams Strongly Considering Brandon Miller Over Scoot Henderson At No. 2 

Post#2 » by ChaiSudle » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:56 pm

I'm a Raptors fan and I read this news and just can't understand why my team is trying to move up in the standings when they could just slide and pick up one of these incredible talents.
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 740

Post#3 » by kacey ring » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:44 pm

ChaiSudle wrote:I'm a Raptors fan and I read this news and just can't understand why my team is trying to move up in the standings when they could just slide and pick up one of these incredible talents.

They traded for Poeltl, so their intentions seemed pretty clear after the deadline.

Even if they decided not to trade for him and go full tank mode, they likely would have to lose every game post all star break to increase their odds to land a top 3 pick. Rockets, Spurs, Pistons, and Hornets are awful this year and have a big headstart in tanking.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,286

Post#4 » by ciueli » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:58 pm

ChaiSudle wrote:I'm a Raptors fan and I read this news and just can't understand why my team is trying to move up in the standings when they could just slide and pick up one of these incredible talents.

Because money, MLSE will make more money if they have playin + playoff games to show on TV, more tickets sold, more concessions sold, more advertising, more $$$ after years of making less due to COVID. They aren't paying Masai $15M/year to be president just to assemble a team that wins 30 games a season.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:29 pm

miller has led bama to #1 or #2

henderson has led ignite to a losing record

always go with the winner or some who shows he has changed a culture
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#6 » by dubbmotta » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:39 pm

Depends on who has the pick, Hornets get #2 of course they taking Miller. Spurs get 2 they prob go with Scoot. Makes sense for both teams
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#7 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:09 pm

Lalouie wrote:miller has led bama to #1 or #2

Miller is playing with college athletes 95% of whom won't sniff the NBA, and his teammates are better than most of the teammates they're facing every night. Scoot is playing guys who are all almost NBA players and his teammates are young prospects who are currently worse players than their opponents.

Miller should get credit for leading a good team to a great season, but it doesn't make sense to knock Scoot for his situation.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:25 pm

ciueli wrote:

Because money, MLSE will make more money if they have playin + playoff games to show on TV, more tickets sold, more concessions sold, more advertising, more $$$ after years of making less due to COVID. They aren't paying Masai $15M/year to be president just to assemble a team that wins 30 games a season.

Not sure about that. A few games of the play-in/PO will make a mediocre team some money but they'd make a whole lot more if they got a new young cheap star for the next 8+ years who could elevate them out of 1st round fodder status. And if they really wanted to make the amount of money a couple PO games would make, there are lots of other ways to do that.

Feels like the Raptors are just committed to winning as much as possible now, and aren't going to change course to get a small-ish chance to get a young mega-prospect.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#9 » by RipCityKJ » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:40 am

So we’re just skipping over the whole accessory to murder thing? Any other person would be in jail awaiting trial right now. There’s no debating that he brought the gun and was at the scene at the time of the murder but he’s free to play on? Dame just talked about how these young guys are coming with entailment that they don’t have to practice or play with any desire to win, talk about the ultimate entitlement, a free pass on a murder charge.
BlueHeat
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,619

Post#10 » by BlueHeat » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:43 am

RipCityKJ wrote:So we’re just skipping over the whole accessory to murder thing? Any other person would be in jail awaiting trial right now. There’s no debating that he brought the gun and was at the scene at the time of the murder but he’s free to play on? Dame just talked about how these young guys are coming with entailment that they don’t have to practice or play with any desire to win, talk about the ultimate entitlement, a free pass on a murder charge.

Agree. It's pretty shocking that this guy was accessory to killing a young MOTHER and nobody is batting an eye.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:10 am

RipCityKJ wrote:So we’re just skipping over the whole accessory to murder thing? Any other person would be in jail awaiting trial right now. There’s no debating that he brought the gun and was at the scene at the time of the murder but he’s free to play on? Dame just talked about how these young guys are coming with entailment that they don’t have to practice or play with any desire to win, talk about the ultimate entitlement, a free pass on a murder charge.

He's not been accused of a crime let alone convicted of one. He's not presently viewed as a suspect and his actions at this point are well known as he has voluntarily surrendered his phone for evidence. What are you even talking about?

There's no reason to think he is an accessory to murder or will be charged with that at this point. Nor does there appear to be any reason to think that he was knowingly assisting in a murder or crime. Probably made a real bad decision in transporting a gun to a friend who was partying and decided he needed a gun right now, but that's not a criminal act.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,605

Post#12 » by NBA4Lyfe » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:14 am

He’s gonna go number 2 overall like ja morant did
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by dougthonus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:18 am

BlueHeat wrote:

Agree. It's pretty shocking that this guy was accessory to killing a young MOTHER and nobody is batting an eye.

Except that he's not charged as an accessory or charged with any criminal act and doesn't appear that will change. Nor does he appear to have any other criminal behavior in his history. I'm sure people will do their due diligence on him over this incident, but there's likely no legal ramifications coming and given the nature of what happened, I don't know that it's a huge red flag either.
@doug_thonus on twitter
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#14 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:01 am

As they should. We've seen time and time again how small guards don't get teams to serious contending level.

Miller would go #1 if it weren't for Wemby being 7'2 and moving like a wing player.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#15 » by Lalouie » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:19 am

HotelVitale wrote:

Miller is playing with college athletes 95% of whom won't sniff the NBA, and his teammates are better than most of the teammates they're facing every night. Scoot is playing guys who are all almost NBA players and his teammates are young prospects who are currently worse players than their opponents.

Miller should get credit for leading a good team to a great season, but it doesn't make sense to knock Scoot for his situation.

Of course. But Bama is still a winner under miller's belt. But Bama was barely 500 last year. Here's the thing,,,,, Bama is a football school. I won't underestimate the difficulties of that situation.

As far as I'm concerned, Bama is winning and ignite is not,,,, but I get your pov
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#16 » by sfernald » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:34 am

And Amen might end up being better than the top three! There's no ceiling for the kid! Crazy draft this year..
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#17 » by haste10176 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 am

One guy is 6 foot 9 the other is 6 foot 2.. if its even close go with 6 foot 9 you cant teach height..
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:58 am

Or I might go with the guy that wasn’t at the scene of a murder. And yes I know he wasn’t charged.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

Or I might go with the guy that wasn’t at the scene of a murder. And yes I know he wasn’t charged.

How do you anticipate this impacting his basketball ability?
@doug_thonus on twitter
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#20 » by dubbmotta » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:21 pm

Lalouie wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Of course. But Bama is still a winner under miller's belt. But Bama was barely 500 last year. Here's the thing,,,,, Bama is a football school. I won't underestimate the difficulties of that situation.

As far as I'm concerned, Bama is winning and ignite is not,,,, but I get your pov

Not sure where you have been but last several years Bama has been a decent basketball school,ranked nationally in the polls and recurting, getting one and dones and getting them drafted in the lottery.

Return to Wiretap Discussion