Luka Doncic Admits He's Been Frustrated 'For A Lot Of Reasons, Not Just Basketball'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Luka Doncic Admits He's Been Frustrated 'For A Lot Of Reasons, Not Just Basketball' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:09 pm

The Dallas Mavericks lost at home to the Charlotte Hornets on Friday, falling to 7-12 since trading for Kyrie Irving. The Mavericks are 3-7 when Irving and Luka Doncic play together.

"We got to fight hard, play harder," said Doncic. "That's about it. We got to show we care and it starts with me first. I've just got to lead this team, being better, playing harder. It's on me."

Doncic also acknowledged that he is struggling to find joy on the court.

"I think you can see it with me on the court," Doncic said. "Sometimes I don't feel it's me. I'm just being out there. I used to have really fun, smiling on court, but it's just been so frustrating for a lot of reasons, not just basketball."

Asked what else was bothering him, Doncic cited issues in his private life.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Luka Doncic Admits He's Been Frustrated 'For A Lot Of Reasons, Not Just Basketball' 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:38 pm

The Kyrie effect :nod:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Re: Luka Doncic Admits He's Been Frustrated 'For A Lot Of Reasons, Not Just Basketball' 

Post#3 » by Tom White » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:22 pm

TheCage4 wrote:The Kyrie effect :nod:

Yep. A cancer, is a cancer, is a cancer. Doesn't matter where it lands.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 pm

I'm not sure how much Kyrie has to do with it honestly, but who knows. Injuries could and probably has something to do with it.
stlboy
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#5 » by stlboy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:16 pm

Tom White wrote:

A little unfair calling Kyrie a cancer, and blaming Kyrie. Kyrie has played hard and kept the Mavs in some close games; Kyrie is not the problem. The Mavs defense is majority of the problem.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#6 » by Lalouie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:33 pm

stlboy wrote:
Tom White wrote:

A little unfair calling Kyrie a cancer, and blaming Kyrie. Kyrie has played hard and kept the Mavs in some close games; Kyrie is not the problem. The Mavs defense is majority of the problem.

kyrie has almost always been a cancer to the org, not the players. for some reason players love him. i think it's a couple of things....1 - players have each other's back...2 - he elocutes well...3 - maybe they like what he stands for, his independence

but regardless he's making all this money and clearly he wants it because it's what he's been trying to clean up. but in the end he's just a piece and not one to lead a team. he is a cancer to the org, the "team", and fans because neither sees the benefit of his presense

taken en toto he leaves teams with nothing. maybe not "cancer", but at least a very bad case of the shingles
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#7 » by Hans1984 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:42 pm

It's his bodyfat. He needs to get it under control.
Nbafan91729
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#8 » by Nbafan91729 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:36 pm

If anyone doesn't know, he's battling against his mother in a multimillion dollar trademark lawsuit.
3ptLion
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#9 » by 3ptLion » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:33 pm

Weird, Kyrie is famous for bringing a fiesta vibe.He's more or less the Kevin Hart of the league.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

Post#10 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:56 pm

Might not have anything to do with Kyrie's game, Kyrie always gonna get his numbers

He might not be getting along with him, you don't always gell with someone just because they're playing together, I recon Kyrie probs trying to act like it's his team and be leader even though It's not It's Luka's team and always will be as long as he there, Kyrie won't be there next season and I bet Luka will be happy again.
Bring back Defense
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#11 » by dubbmotta » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:42 am

Lalouie wrote:
stlboy wrote:
Tom White wrote:

kyrie has almost always been a cancer to the org, not the players. for some reason players love him. i think it's a couple of things....1 - players have each other's back...2 - he elocutes well...3 - maybe they like what he stands for, his independence

but regardless he's making all this money and clearly he wants it because it's what he's been trying to clean up. but in the end he's just a piece and not one to lead a team. he is a cancer to the org, the "team", and fans because neither sees the benefit of his presense

taken en toto he leaves teams with nothing. maybe not "cancer", but at least a very bad case of the shingles

Luka says, “his personal life” his momma is suing him. Dude going through some shh, can’t blame this one in Kyrie.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#12 » by haste10176 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:04 am

SlimShady83 wrote:Might not have anything to do with Kyrie's game, Kyrie always gonna get his numbers

He might not be getting along with him, you don't always gell with someone just because they're playing together, I recon Kyrie probs trying to act like it's his team and be leader even though It's not It's Luka's team and always will be as long as he there, Kyrie won't be there next season and I bet Luka will be happy again.

Kyrie has never made a team better Celts went to ecf when he didnt play Nets record was basically the same when be did or didnt play cavs were losers till LBJ showed up and now this.. He plays zero defence is part of the problem as great as he is on offence and he is great he doesnt really create for other that well and he gives up his points on the other end and he never gels well with anyone.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#13 » by haste10176 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:06 am

dubbmotta wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
stlboy wrote:

Luka says, “his personal life” his momma is suing him. Dude going through some shh, can’t blame this one in Kyrie.

That was settles a couple of months ago or so.. That said cant be a good feeling I cant see why he isnt just looking after his mum though unless its that bad..
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:13 am

haste10176 wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:Might not have anything to do with Kyrie's game, Kyrie always gonna get his numbers

Kyrie has never made a team better Celts went to ecf when he didnt play Nets record was basically the same when be did or didnt play cavs were losers till LBJ showed up and now this.. He plays zero defence is part of the problem as great as he is on offence and he is great he doesnt really create for other that well and he gives up his points on the other end and he never gels well with anyone.

kyrie is the quintessential paradigm for the nba and nba stardom.

all the accolades on kyrie come down to,,,
1 - he's all about the flash,,,aside from which his claim to glory is one shot.
2 - he's just media news, 3 - and he is not a winner

everything the nba glorifies
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#15 » by CobraCommander » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:45 am

haste10176 wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

That was settles a couple of months ago or so.. That said cant be a good feeling I cant see why he isnt just looking after his mum though unless its that bad..

Fighting with your mom doesn’t end when the lawsuit is settled.

This sucks-

I’m sure everyone has something going on off the court but a lawsuit with your mom has to suck.

When you can’t trust or feels like you can’t trust your mom- who can you trust???
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#16 » by CobraCommander » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:52 am

Lalouie wrote:
haste10176 wrote:

In the talent department and it not turning to winning - Luka and kyrie have everything in common

Kyrie is considered an amazing talent - maybe most talented player ever by many people in the game but hasn’t won without Lebron.

Luka considered an amazing talent - be we can’t say he is a nba winner considered he hasn’t won anything in the nba -

Luka was losing with or without kyrie.

The Mavs traded for Kyrie….. they had to clear that with Luka - so you can’t blame the losing ON kyrie.

Everyone knows what you get with Kyrie - especially Luka- considering he has been playing against kyrie for years now and watching him for longer than that.

I don’t see a hint of problem between kyrie and Luka - if it’s on the court, the problem is Kids
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 847

Post#17 » by Roy T » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:18 am

Nbafan91729 wrote:If anyone doesn't know, he's battling against his mother in a multimillion dollar trademark lawsuit.

Wtf broooo
ReddOktober
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#18 » by ReddOktober » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:41 pm

Lalouie wrote:
haste10176 wrote:

Kyrie has won more than Luka... Hes a champion and was an integral piece to that cavs team. Hit the winning shot as well. Give Kyrie his flowers
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:53 pm

haste10176 wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

FWIW, I don't think it was settled exactly, I found one link that just said Luka dropped it. Ie, he can still come back to it later and also did not get the trademark he wanted.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#20 » by Lalouie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:08 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
haste10176 wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

Fighting with your mom doesn’t end when the lawsuit is settled.

This sucks-

I’m sure everyone has something going on off the court but a lawsuit with your mom has to suck.

When you can’t trust or feels like you can’t trust your mom- who can you trust???

lots of talking heads post-trade said the mavs' problem is defense and some were positing that woods be traded for defense

Return to Wiretap Discussion