Joel Embiid: Just About Winning, Winning, Winning

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Joel Embiid: Just About Winning, Winning, Winning 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:30 pm

Philadelphia 76ers star Joel Embiid touched on a lot of subjects in a wide-ranging interview with Shams Charania of The Athletic. Embiid said this is the best he's ever felt this late in a season, that his foot feels better and, of course, he talked about the MVP race.

Embiid said he no longer cares about winning MVP as much as he once did. For him, the goal is different now.

"What matters — it’s just about winning, winning, winning. I’ve been focused on that. We’ve been doing that. Whatever happens, happens. If I win MVP, good. If I don’t, it’s fine with me," Embiid said.

The Sixers center also said he agrees with Giannis Antetokounmpo that the criteria to be MVP seemingly changes from year to year.

"The criteria does change. If we want to talk about the last three years since I’ve been in the running for it, the first year it was that I didn’t play enough games. Last year, I came back, I played enough games, I led the league in scoring, and obviously, Nikola deserved it and he won it. But then again, he won as a sixth seed in the West. And then this year, I’m leading the league in scoring, I’m doing all of these things defensively … I should be making an All-Defensive team too," Embiid said.

"I don’t care, but every year it’s something. And when you add analytics into it, which don’t make sense. You can talk about analytics all you want. When you got some guys in the league, the eye test tells you that they’re not good defensively, but analytics tell you they’re the best defenders. That’s when analytics don’t make sense at all. I don’t make the rules, I don’t choose whatever criteria that they use, so it’s really about whatever people’s preferences are."

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Re: Joel Embiid: Just About Winning, Winning, Winning 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:57 pm

Embiid tries to say he doesn't care about winning MVP anymore, but then goes on to sound salty AF about not winning it. :lol: Seems like he is one of those people that really cares but tries to convince everyone he doesn't care.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,294

Post#3 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:52 pm

He's right about analytics and defense. Eye test tells you who can guard people
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
cam24thomas
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,163

Post#4 » by cam24thomas » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:36 pm

God he's pathetic, what a terrible personality Embiid has, I'm so glad Ben Simmons left that scene :x
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,675

Post#5 » by the_process » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:44 pm

ben10simmons wrote:God he's pathetic, what a terrible personality Embiid has, I'm so glad Ben Simmons left that scene :x

Your boy is about to leave the NBA. A Simmons stan ripping Embiid is just so rich.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,675

Post#6 » by the_process » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:45 pm

bstein14 wrote:Embiid tries to say he doesn't care about winning MVP anymore, but then goes on to sound salty AF about not winning it. :lol: Seems like he is one of those people that really cares but tries to convince everyone he doesn't care.

I agree he definitely still cares. Even though he shouldn't. I get the sense like he's trying to talk himself into not caring, though.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#7 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:47 pm

ben10simmons wrote:God he's pathetic, what a terrible personality Embiid has, I'm so glad Ben Simmons left that scene :x

Jeez, what did he say that was so awful? Was Embiid your step dad at one time? Here....Why don't you show us all on the doll where Embiid hurt you.
Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Post#8 » by Medbrat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:49 pm

Talk to me about winning when you make ECF, 9 years career and nothing to show for it...
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#9 » by Maf » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:38 pm

They probably misunderstood. Embiid is all bout Whining, whining, whining.
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#10 » by phillynative » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:10 pm

Maf wrote:They probably misunderstood. Embiid is all bout Whining, whining, whining.

Ha Ha ha
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Post#11 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:19 pm

the_process wrote:

Your boy is about to leave the NBA. A Simmons stan ripping Embiid is just so rich.

:nod:
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#12 » by haste10176 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:06 am

Feeling better than ever whinges about MVP criteria then proceeds not to show up to battle Jokic for the a MVP in a pivotal match up that if they did make the finals and denver also do means 76ers will.not have home.court advantage also not showing up is an L I was starting to swing Embiids way for the MVP but when your not showing up for big matches and its this close I will reward the guy that shows up and his team has a better record..
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#13 » by puja21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:22 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
the_process wrote:

:nod:

didn't realize there were any "ben simmons fans" out there in the world

Return to Wiretap Discussion