Damian Lillard, Blazers Expected To Have 'Serious Conversations About What's Next'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Damian Lillard, Blazers Expected To Have 'Serious Conversations About What's Next' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:37 pm

Damian Lillard has "essentially" been shut down for the remainder of the season. While Lillard is dealing with a calf injury, the reality of Portland falling out of the Play-In spot is the reason for the decision.

The Blazers have a lottery-protected first round pick that they will retain.

Portland could also entertain the idea of trading Lillard.

"You now have to wonder if Lillard ever steps on the court again for Portland," writes Shams Charania at The Athletic. 

Lillard is due $216 million over the next four seasons and has privately considered the possibility of a trade even though his public statements have demonstrated a desire to win with the Blazers.

"I expect there to be serious conversations about what's next for both sides," adds Charania.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Re: Damian Lillard, Blazers Expected To Have 'Serious Conversations About What's Next' 

Post#2 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:03 pm

maybe portland finally does the right thing and trades him.

at this point lillard has more than paid his dues to portland.
im bout dat action boss
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Re: Damian Lillard, Blazers Expected To Have 'Serious Conversations About What's Next' 

Post#3 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:10 pm

Firing Stotts and Olshey were mistakes.

Stotts is a top five available coach right now with Brett Brown, Kenny Atkinson, Udoka, and Dave Joerger.
Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Post#4 » by Medbrat » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:31 pm

Didn't they have a "serious talk" before they traded for grant? What's this talk gonna change?
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#5 » by Barcs » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:34 pm

What's next? The New York Knicks!
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#6 » by PDXKnight » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:38 pm

I lean toward thinking portland will just be transparent with him and whatever he says they will roll with. If he wants to continue playing here he will or if he wants out portland will grant him that as well probably to a preferred team of his choice
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:39 pm

Barcs wrote:What's next? The New York Knicks!

Seems like an ideal trade partner as they have picks available. I think a large pick package is a great starter
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:40 pm

Medbrat wrote:Didn't they have a "serious talk" before they traded for grant? What's this talk gonna change?

Depends what their end goal is. If they're trying to keep him (which they may be given how disillusioned they seem at managing a team) they may be trying to come across as transparent and giving him a Say in team decisions
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:09 pm

PDXKnight wrote:

Seems like an ideal trade partner as they have picks available. I think a large pick package is a great starter

It's not a great fit though, we already have Brunson and we've seen so many iterations of Dame and another smaller guard not work. I doubt the Knicks would trade Brunson for Lillard too.

I'd look at the Heat as the favorites.

Something like Lowry, Oladipo, Jovic and 3 picks works (23, 27, 29).

Bam/Yurtseven
Martin/Love
Butler/Struss
Herro/Oladipo
Lillard/Vincent

is a championship level roster.

or Herro, Robinson, Jovic and 3 picks for Lillard and Nurkic.

Nurkic/Bam
Bam/Martin
Butler/Struss
Lillard/Oladipo
Lowry/Vincent

Not quite as good, but definitely the best package they can give.
Go Knicks!
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#10 » by Wingy » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:13 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:maybe portland finally does the right thing and trades him.

at this point lillard has more than paid his dues to portland.

Pretty sure it has been mutual all these years (until now, maybe). He could and could’ve asked out anytime.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#11 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:20 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

It's not a great fit though, we already have Brunson and we've seen so many iterations of Dame and another smaller guard not work. I doubt the Knicks would trade Brunson for Lillard too.

Bam/Yurtseven
Martin/Love
Butler/Struss
Herro/Oladipo
Lillard/Vincent

Nurkic/Bam
Bam/Martin
Butler/Struss
Lillard/Oladipo
Lowry/Vincent

Can I get your dealers number? I want whatever you’re smoking to come up with this trash idea. 2 horrible contracts of washed up players, a back up center and 3 late first won’t get you Dennis Smith Jr let alone a hall of famer! Lowry and Oladipo both have to have at least a top 15 unprotected pick attached with a young player before any team takes on either of their contracts.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#12 » by goinrogue » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:20 pm

Honestly, if raps make Scottie Barnes available, they get dame. They wouldn’t give him up for KD though so I wouldn’t hold me breath. OG and 3 raps picks beats that heat offer.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#13 » by engelmartin » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Perfect place for an overrated star to underachieve.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#14 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:40 pm

I'd do Lillard for Paul George :) Not that Portland would be looking get PG. I think one serious consideration when making trade assumptions is that Lillards contract. He is currently a superb player, and getting paid $42M this season and $45M next. Pretty normal, shouldn't be huge problem matching salaries, although a 3rd team involvement may be necessary. The issue is that he'd be making $58M and $62M a year in 2025-27 season, his age 35-36 years. 40% of the cap. Can you build around that to contend ?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#15 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:43 pm

PDXKnight wrote:

If I'm Portland, I'd ask for Brunson + Robinson and not even ask for a pick. Brunson will be superior player in less than 2 years with a far better contract to allow Portland to build a contender.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,175

Post#16 » by Slim Charless » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:45 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

Bam/Yurtseven
Martin/Love
Butler/Struss
Herro/Oladipo
Lillard/Vincent

Nurkic/Bam
Bam/Martin
Butler/Struss
Lillard/Oladipo
Lowry/Vincent

Can I get your dealers number? I want whatever you’re smoking to come up with this trash idea. 2 horrible contracts of washed up players, a back up center and 3 late first won’t get you Dennis Smith Jr let alone a hall of famer! Lowry and Oladipo both have to have at least a top 15 unprotected pick attached with a young player before any team takes on either of their contracts.

I think that PDX should go the OTHER way and trade for a superstar to pair with Dame.

Let's say the Sixers lose this spring, which isn't crazy considering the playoffs histories of both Harden and Doc. So they lose and on top of it all Harden decides to walk and go to HOU, again not a crazy prediction. What's Embiid to do after that? I think he could want out...and that's where Portland comes in.

They offer Sharpe, Simons, this year's pick (which will probably be around #5 or so) plus another 3 FRPs for Biid. Might need to include Nurk for Cap purposes too. That's a good return for Philly and gives them a young guard trio of Maxey/Sharpe/Simons to build around plus whoever they get this year in the draft (maybe Cam Whitmore of Walker at PF) and another 3 picks coming down the line.

Blazers roll with Dame/Thybulle/Grant/Embiid....which is a great core and can win a title.
LegendOfSalmons
Senior
And1: 1,202

Post#17 » by LegendOfSalmons » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:07 pm

goinrogue wrote:Honestly, if raps make Scottie Barnes available, they get dame. They wouldn’t give him up for KD though so I wouldn’t hold me breath. OG and 3 raps picks beats that heat offer.

They would have to trade Scottie with OG or Pascal. If they were already set with depth and had another star then sure they should go for it. As it currently stands though, this would make them worst with little to no flexibility after executing the trade. Terrible idea!
Theagreement
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#18 » by Theagreement » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:09 pm

Y’all are missing it. Utah is it. Dame loves Utah, has said it’s one of two teams he’d want to play for if Portland doesn’t want him (the other being the Lakers, but their asset cupboard is bare), and… Utah has more flexibility to absorb that massive contract, along with a combo of picks and youth that no other team in the league can match. It honestly might not cost them as much as you’d think. Aging guard with who is owed $65M at age 36? If Dame says he wants to be in Utah, and if Danny Ainge is ready to win (is he?), Utah is uniquely positioned to get him. And before you quote me and disagree, go do your own research. I’m not asking you if you like Utah or like the fit… I’m saying it’s objectively the most interesting trade partner for POR. Plus, Utah has what Dame wants… young AS level talent, youth, flexibility, an owner willing to spend, and management that isn’t afraid to be bold. It’s Utah y’all… not NY or anywhere else.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#19 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:10 pm

Washed
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Wiretap Discussion