Kevin Durant: I Don't Care About Legacy Anymore

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant: I Don't Care About Legacy Anymore 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:28 pm

Kevin Durant is on his fourth NBA team and trying to win his third championship, but his first outside the Golden State Warriors. Durant's initial trade request came soon after the Warriors won the 2022 championship.

“I don’t care about legacy,” Durant told The Athletic. “I used to. I used to want to carve out a lane or space in this game for myself that people can remember, but it’s become too much of a thing now. It just becomes too much of a focus on other people. What’s he done, what’s he done? Comparisons. Before, when we wasn’t doing all this debating, I cared about it … I’m about to be in the same breath as these top guys. It was big.

“Nowadays, I truly, truly don’t care. I truly just want to go out there and produce, be the best that I could be, go home, hang with my family, that’s it.”

When Durant left the Oklahoma City Thunder to sign with the Warriors, he had a realization that it would be impossible for many people to view his career in a logical way since it was the type of path never taken by another superstar.

“Once I left to go to the Warriors (in 2016), I figured any logical thing, when it comes to me it’s out of the window,” Durant said. “When it comes to me, people are not going to think in a logical way or simply look at what I’ve done and say that’s it. They gotta add a narrative to it, they gotta push something to discredit me. Once I left to go to the Warriors, it’s been the gymnastics on how to discredit me every step of the way. It’s like, damn, that’s not even fun no more like engaging with people because y’all aren’t even being truthful. You move the goalpost every time, you expect the most out of me and if I don’t reach it I’m a failure. It’s like, what’s the problem?

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 924

Re: Kevin Durant: I Don't Care About Legacy Anymore 

Post#2 » by bovice » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:25 pm

happy for him. feels like we're turning a corner and we're gonna be hearing less and less of all the legacy talk l, especially when lebron retires.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#3 » by hyberx » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:31 pm

Talking about legacy and comparison, a true assessment is he is at LeBron's level, where he won more than one trophy with a super team. KD would have won a couple more easily if he stayed with the Ws. Just like LeBron, he is not going to be at the true champions level, MJ/Curry and the like, where they took their own team to win it all and win more than one.

At least he showed more heart than LeBron who pouts and moans when things don't go his way, KD risked his health to play when his team needed him the most. He didn't whine about the resulting injury and owned that decision like a grown man.
Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Post#4 » by Medbrat » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:31 pm

No legacy to care about, that finals he made with Harden and Brick and that's about it.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#5 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:28 pm

He should join Shanghai Sharks. That'll show them
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,789

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:32 pm

Yeah, we'll see.

I think he's one of the greatest ever- I don't think he actually has anything to worry about in terms of legacy.

But he's a real insecure dude and I think he's speaking to what he'd like his attitude to be, rather than what it truly is.

Or maybe he's genuinely grown. One can hope.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,429

Post#7 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:14 pm

Snakebites wrote:Yeah, we'll see.

I think he's one of the greatest ever- I don't think he actually has anything to worry about in terms of legacy.

But he's a real insecure dude and I think he's speaking to what he'd like his attitude to be, rather than what it truly is.

I mean he didn't say anything wrong. He talked about how it's no longer fun for him, which you can understand because no matter what he does he'll be criticized and discredited.

The same people who talked **** about him joining the Warriors are probably the same people talking **** about Beal and Liard not leaving their current teams for winning teams. :lol:
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,789

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:

I mean he didn't say anything wrong. He talked about how it's no longer fun for him, which you can understand because no matter what he does he'll be criticized and discredited.

The same people who talked **** about him joining the Warriors are probably the same people talking **** about Beal and Liard not leaving their current teams for winning teams. :lol:

This is pretty much true. These guys can’t win in the eyes of some.

Lillard and Beal are criticized for either being fools or for only caring about money. Guys like KD are called ring chasers.

No matter which side of the coin they opt for they are criticized. Is what it is.
76Shots
Sophomore
And1: 235

Post#9 » by 76Shots » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:49 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:

The key difference is he left a winning team with a bright future for years to come join a winning team. Lillard and especially Beal have never won anything of significance and have not lead their teams anywhere of significance.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,191

Post#10 » by Tofubeque » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:20 pm

It's not illogical and requires zero gymnastics to point out he coattail-rode in his prime. Very straightforward really.

Lillard will be remembered better for rejecting the obsession with rings. Durant will be remembered as an all-time individual scorer. No one should be impressed by the 2 rings with the most stacked team of all time. They exploited a cap spike and made the league's parity a joke for years. Today it's in a better place competition wise.
props Turbozone
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 405

Post#11 » by ghillphx » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:58 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:He should join Shanghai Sharks. That'll show them

Pretty dumb joke
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:03 am

hyberx wrote:Talking about legacy and comparison, a true assessment is he is at LeBron's level, where he won more than one trophy with a super team. KD would have won a couple more easily if he stayed with the Ws. Just like LeBron, he is not going to be at the true champions level, MJ/Curry and the like, where they took their own team to win it all and win more than one.

At least he showed more heart than LeBron who pouts and moans when things don't go his way, KD risked his health to play when his team needed him the most. He didn't whine about the resulting injury and owned that decision like a grown man.

So curry gets credit because he never left his team? Did LBJ start his CLE 1.0 days with a core anywhere remotely on the level of Klay Thompson, Iguodola & Draymond? Then you add in KD? I mean are you **** kidding me? Just because he never left the team doesn’t mean he didn’t have super teams that pushed him to where he is and he’s the greatest shooter to ever play the game imo. 2015 if Love/Irving never go down I think CLE wins that title most likely. Just don’t get how he gets credit because the management in GSW (Bob Meyers) was phenomenally better at his job than LBJ had in his first nine season in CLE.

And the fact you said KD doesn’t whine or moan about anything is just so hilarious. Guy has twitter burner accounts. This whole piece is him whining about the big bad media bagging in him. He hates Charles Barkley because he has an opinion against his. He thought his GSW wins would take the peanut gallery away and it only made it worse and he’s done nothing to make it go away
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#13 » by TheCage4 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:04 am

I think we all knew this years ago Kevin, but thanks for reassuring us.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
niha17
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#14 » by niha17 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:12 am

dont worry your legacy is cemented. your just a little better version of carmelo anthony
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#15 » by alienpick » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:29 am

hyberx wrote:Talking about legacy and comparison, a true assessment is he is at LeBron's level, where he won more than one trophy with a super team. KD would have won a couple more easily if he stayed with the Ws. Just like LeBron, he is not going to be at the true champions level, MJ/Curry and the like, where they took their own team to win it all and win more than one.

Lebron will always be the better player.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#16 » by DoctorDunc » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:26 pm

Returning from the Irvingisphere. He wants to be a basketball player again.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:27 pm

KD is someone that a college semester professor can spend an entire semester studying. I'm happy that he's reached that point of not caring because he understands that he'll never get that true appreciation/validation that he wants. KD is a top 15 player of time, not many people can say that.

Return to Wiretap Discussion