Luka Doncic Takes Responsibility For Mavericks' 'Very Disappointing Season'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Luka Doncic Takes Responsibility For Mavericks' 'Very Disappointing Season' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 4, 2023 7:13 pm

The Dallas Mavericks have had a disappointing 22-23 season after reaching the Western Conference Finals last year.

The Mavericks didn't re-sign Jalen Brunson, traded for Christian Wood, and then traded Spencer Dinwiddie and Dorian Finney-Smith for Kyrie Irving as much of the roster has been shuffled around Doncic.

Doncic described this as "a very disappointing season" for the Mavs.

"I think you don't see that chemistry we had before -- I mean, especially last year," Doncic said. "I think that chemistry was at the top, everybody. But chemistry builds not just not right away. It's a long process."

Doncic said the Mavericks need to be better on defense and took accountability for his own shortcomings on that side of the floor. Doncic said he has struggled with fatigue after having little time off over the past three years.

"But that's not an excuse," Doncic said. "I'm still young, age-wise, but it's a lot of basketball. But I gotta be way better.

"I'm the leader of this team. The one to blame is me."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Re: Luka Doncic Takes Responsibility For Mavericks' 'Very Disappointing Season' 

Post#2 » by artsncrafts » Tue Apr 4, 2023 10:32 pm

WHo woulda thunk that getting gutting the team and getting Kyrie would make them worse!
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#3 » by nedleeds » Wed Apr 5, 2023 12:25 am

Plz win like 2 more games.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#4 » by HighRyzer83 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:01 am

They're only 1 game from the playins. It's not over, they just want to tank to keep their pick. That more than anything makes him a chump
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,833

Post#5 » by Beethoven » Wed Apr 5, 2023 4:34 am

Of course you are to blame, doncic. If you never cried at the refs, your team would have won an extra six games. Squarely putting you right in the middle of the playoffs race.
But no, you're a man child. A 6'7" baby.

Don't say you're to blame, to fish for compassion. You are the one to blame absolutely.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,182

Post#6 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:28 am

Shouldn't this be on Cuban not Luka or for that matter any of their players?

Cuban the one that gutted the team and went got Kyrie so should be on him IMO
Bring back Defense
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,826

Post#7 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:33 am

Beethoven wrote:Of course you are to blame, doncic. If you never cried at the refs, your team would have won an extra six games. Squarely putting you right in the middle of the playoffs race.

Don't say you're to blame, to fish for compassion. You are the one to blame absolutely.

Easy things to say from behind the keyboard. This is still a top player on the league without any doubt.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#8 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Apr 5, 2023 7:36 am

Beethoven wrote:Of course you are to blame, doncic. If you never cried at the refs, your team would have won an extra six games. Squarely putting you right in the middle of the playoffs race.

So...how does he take the responsibility, if we're going to assume he's only doing it to fish for compassion?

Ultimately his actions next season will be more telling than his words now, but I'm finding it hard to judge him for his words.
Ezlaif
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Ezlaif » Wed Apr 5, 2023 9:15 am

I‘ve been saying all year this guy needs to get in better shape. No wonder you are fatigued if you‘re carrying all that extra weight around.
There is another unathletic european guy that did exactly that about 3 years ago and it helped him quite a bit. You know that guy that might be the first player to threepeat as MVP in over 30 years.
flagstaff
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#10 » by flagstaff » Wed Apr 5, 2023 3:26 pm

Imagine if he lost 15lbs. I assume he is doing most everything else to maintain his body.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#11 » by sjballer03 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:20 pm

Luka has like zero definition in his body. Basically like a bulkier Klay. I wonder if it's just genetics, because I'm sure all these guys lift weights plenty.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,859

Post#12 » by Phila Tough » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:27 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:Shouldn't this be on Cuban not Luka or for that matter any of their players?

Lebron carried far worse rosters to playoffs
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,182

Post#13 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 7:16 pm

Phila Tough wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:Shouldn't this be on Cuban not Luka or for that matter any of their players?

Lebron carried far worse rosters to playoffs

God enough with f'ing Bron talk really, you just had to bring that clown into it. Like enough already
Bring back Defense

Return to Wiretap Discussion