Ja Morant: I'm Just Pretty Much Numb To Everything Now

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Ja Morant: I'm Just Pretty Much Numb To Everything Now 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:40 pm

Ja Morant is unsure if he will be able to play in Game 2 of the Memphis Grizzlies' first round series against the Los Angeles Lakers after re-injuring his right hand. Morant talked about how the injury is just the latest example of the adversity he's dealt with this season. Morant was suspended eight games by the NBA after flashing a gun at a nightclub. Morant has also been investigated for a number of other off the court incidents over the past year.

"[It is] tough, man, especially with everything I've been through pretty much this season," said Morant. "My main focus was to be out there for my guys. It's another incident where that's pretty much in jeopardy."

Morant received counseling at a Florida facility to help him manage stress following the gun incident.

"At this point, I'm not even surprised with how my life's been going," said Morant.

"I don't know, man. I'm just pretty much numb to everything now. It's like I'm not even surprised. It's one thing after another."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Re: Ja Morant: I'm Just Pretty Much Numb To Everything Now 

Post#2 » by nedleeds » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:34 pm

Lol Gen Z. Adversity is going to a nightclub.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#3 » by captain green » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:40 pm

He is saying the wrong stuff I'm giving him a 3 year window of being washed out
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,737

Post#4 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:43 pm

You wouldn't think he even realizes it's self induced adversity from reading that.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,041

Post#5 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:46 pm

By labeling things as adversity he is implying there is some kind of outside force or circumstances beyond his control that caused this situation. HE DID. This tells me hasn't learned from things at all he continues to wallow in self-pity instead of taking ownership and striving to do better.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 962

Post#6 » by Tom White » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:08 pm

"Ja Morant: I'm Just Pretty Much Numb To Everything Now"

He has been numb from the neck up for a good while.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:09 pm

Yeah that’s not how you want to word responses to tough questions.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,476

Post#8 » by Frank Dux » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:25 pm

Ja has to be one of the dumbest guys in the league. He’s a PR nightmare.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 533

Post#9 » by TheCage4 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Red flags everywhere. Sell. Sell. Sell.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -V
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,525

Post#10 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:43 pm

Make these guys live in a third world country for a year and they will quickly learn what real adversity is. Being a homeless under the bridge in America will feel like a luxury.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 208

Post#11 » by RipCityKJ » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:57 pm

nedleeds wrote:Lol Gen Z. Adversity is going to a nightclub.

I read it at first as a rich athlete complaining about nonsense but then I reread it as a Gen Zer complaining and it’s just that much more pathetic lol.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#12 » by nedleeds » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:20 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
nedleeds wrote:Lol Gen Z. Adversity is going to a nightclub.

I read it at first as a rich athlete complaining about nonsense but then I reread it as a Gen Zer complaining and it’s just that much more pathetic lol.

Yeah I don't care that he's rich. He has likely already overcome the toughest adversity in his life. He comes from a working family and has obtained generational wealth. Any real adversity will be mostly self inflicted short of him getting kidnapped.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,338

Post#13 » by pilkoids » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:37 pm

Imagine... the league was thirsting to have Ja and Zion take the reigns
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#14 » by LipSkinMatter » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:41 pm

34 mill in the bank with over 192 mill coming but tell us about how bad your life is due to your own self inflicted wounds. :D
Prophet_tt
Sophomore
And1: 151

Post#15 » by Prophet_tt » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:45 pm

Man you guys are heartless. Have some empathy. The man is; whether self inflicted or not, going through adversity (meaning difficulties, misfortune). Just because people have money doesn't make them not human. He's got human problems like anyone else and money only gives you more opportunity. Money does not solve all problems. Jesus man

Hear the kid out, he's having trouble, he's feeling down. He's allowed to feel that as a HUMAN. Prayers up that you figure it out and prove all these haters wrong man.
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 402

Post#16 » by DoctaJ » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:31 pm

Prophet_tt wrote:Man you guys are heartless. Have some empathy. The man is; whether self inflicted or not, going through adversity (meaning difficulties, misfortune). Just because people have money doesn't make them not human. He's got human problems like anyone else and money only gives you more opportunity. Money does not solve all problems. Jesus man

Hear the kid out, he's having trouble, he's feeling down. He's allowed to feel that as a HUMAN. Prayers up that you figure it out and prove all these haters wrong man.

I have empathy for this injury - I don't have empathy for the all the dumb **** he has said and done himself when he has all the resources in the world (not just money) to help him either not do it or come out better.

Prayers up that he figures out not being a dumbass... Yeah, I'm not wasting my prayers on him when there is much worse **** going on that isn't self-inflicted.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,062

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:35 pm

He's pretty tone def in his response there (as obvious by the responses).

There's no reason to bring up the past difficulty, but if you are going to, you should note that it was self-inflicted every time you bring it up or else it will cause problems.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,475

Post#18 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:58 pm

Prophet_tt wrote:Man you guys are heartless. Have some empathy. The man is; whether self inflicted or not, going through adversity (meaning difficulties, misfortune). Just because people have money doesn't make them not human. He's got human problems like anyone else and money only gives you more opportunity. Money does not solve all problems. Jesus man

preach man.

maybe he sounds like that because hes frustrated and down on himself, that also is facing adversity. you never know where that stems from. but we out here judging every mans move and act like we are better :D
im bout dat action boss
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,982

Post#19 » by Cassius » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:02 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:

preach man.

maybe he sounds like that because hes frustrated and down on himself, that also is facing adversity. you never know where that stems from. but we out here judging every mans move and act like we are better :D

I think the old saying goes something like “A healthy man of means want 100 things. An unhealthy man wants one”.

It sounds like he’s finally hearing all of the good advice he was ignoring now that he’s injured and can’t do dumb things to cope anymore. Life is basically telling him “I told you so” but unlike the rest of us, the whole world is watching instead of just Mom & Dad or whichever middle manager we reported to at 23.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
BigHustle
Rookie
And1: 157

Post#20 » by BigHustle » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:34 am

Correct response: “$hit happens and you deal with it. I’m going to try my hardest to get ready. Hate to let the fans and my teammates down.”

Return to Wiretap Discussion