Joel Embiid: I'm Supposed To Be Out 4-6 Weeks

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Joel Embiid: I'm Supposed To Be Out 4-6 Weeks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 4, 2023 1:30 pm

Joel Embiid said he felt "pretty good" physically following the Philadelphia 76ers Game 2 loss to the Boston Celtics. When asked if he should have waited until Game 3 to come back from his right LCL sprain, Embiid said he didn't think that mattered.

“With what I have, I’m supposed to be out 4-6 weeks…got this out of the way," Embiid said. "Disappointed by the loss, but that’s a step toward getting back to myself.”

The newly-minted MVP was asked if he was worried about swelling in the knee after playing Game 2.

“I think I’ll be fine. I’ve played through a lot," Embiid said. "We’ve got a big chance, and we’ve got to take advantage of it.”

Via Kyle Neubeck/Philly Voice

Medbrat
Senior
And1: 778

Re: Joel Embiid: I'm Supposed To Be Out 4-6 Weeks 

Post#2 » by Medbrat » Thu May 4, 2023 2:25 pm

What an early media campaign for the Iron man award...
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#3 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu May 4, 2023 2:41 pm

The media will have to latch on to this "injury" as well, so that they don't look so obviously corrupt for lobbying against Joker and for Embiid for the past months.

Embiid will obviously be exposed by the Celtics, while Joker is seeming destined for the NBA Finals against those very same Celtics.

If Joker beats goes on to beat those Celtics, the media will have major egg on their face.

Expect to see this "injury" being used to excuse the 76ers inevitable collapse and Embiid's failure to even compete vs the Celtics yet again.
browntown15
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#4 » by browntown15 » Thu May 4, 2023 3:04 pm

LipSkinMatter wrote:The media will have to latch on to this "injury" as well, so that they don't look so obviously corrupt for lobbying against Joker and for Embiid for the past months.

Embiid will obviously be exposed by the Celtics, while Joker is seeming destined for the NBA Finals against those very same Celtics.

If Joker beats goes on to beat those Celtics, the media will have major egg on their face.

Expect to see this "injury" being used to excuse the 76ers inevitable collapse and Embiid's failure to even compete vs the Celtics yet again.

Low IQ comment. It's a regular season award. Jokic won the last 2 of them carrying injured squads that did nothing in the playoffs. Embiid absolutely deserved it this season and that's coming from a Raptors fan who hates him.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Post#5 » by donemilio21 » Thu May 4, 2023 3:19 pm

Kawhi would have been ruled out for entire next season with the same injury.
BrianFitz
Rookie
And1: 1,510

Post#6 » by BrianFitz » Thu May 4, 2023 3:31 pm

LipSkinMatter wrote:The media will have to latch on to this "injury" as well, so that they don't look so obviously corrupt for lobbying against Joker and for Embiid for the past months.

Do you even have the slightest amount of self-awareness? This is exactly what could have been said about Joker winning MVP the past 2 years.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,053

Post#7 » by kalel123 » Thu May 4, 2023 3:32 pm

Building up excuses again.

Another one Doc Rivers can bag for the future after he leaves when he will inevitably blame everyone but himself over why Sixers never had the chance.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#8 » by shakes0 » Thu May 4, 2023 3:41 pm

Embiid loves his injury excuses.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#9 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu May 4, 2023 4:10 pm

They're done. Harden to Houston.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu May 4, 2023 4:14 pm

browntown15 wrote:

Low IQ comment. It's a regular season award. Jokic won the last 2 of them carrying injured squads that did nothing in the playoffs. Embiid absolutely deserved it this season and that's coming from a Raptors fan who hates him.

It was nearly unanimous that Joker deserved MVP this season until Perkins went on his woke tirade. It was only in those weeks that followed that the media slowly gaslit people into thinking Embiid was the obvious MVP.

Jokic VORP: 8.8
Embiid VORP: 6.4

Jokic highest teammate VORP: 2.1
Embiid highest teammate VORP: 4.0

More production with a much worse 2nd banana.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu May 4, 2023 4:17 pm

BrianFitz wrote:

Do you even have the slightest amount of self-awareness? This is exactly what could have been said about Joker winning MVP the past 2 years.

How so? Joker wasn't the one injured during those runs, it was the rest of the team. Joker is one of the most durable superstars we have in the NBA. Meanwhile, Embiid breaks down every playoffs.

And only some of the media gave Joker the slight benefit of the doubt based on those injuries. Many media members don't rate him at all, despite his dominance. How many of these media experts were picking the #1 seed Nugs to do anything in the playoffs, despite having the best home court advantage in the league?

One voter left Joker out of his top 5 MVP candidates. That tells you all you need to know.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#12 » by LesGrossman » Thu May 4, 2023 4:22 pm

LipSkinMatter wrote:
browntown15 wrote:

It was nearly unanimous that Joker deserved MVP this season until Perkins went on his woke tirade. It was only in those weeks that followed that the media slowly gaslit people into thinking Embiid was the obvious MVP.

Jokic VORP: 8.8
Embiid VORP: 6.4

Jokic highest teammate VORP: 2.1
Embiid highest teammate VORP: 4.0

More production with a much worse 2nd banana.

People call it "voter fatigue" or say Embiid deserved it. I call it what it really is. Theres a huge aspect of racism in this league but its racism that doesnt go the way people like to talk about. Jokic isnt the guy they are comfortable with as the face of the league. He does not say what they want him to say, he isnt obsessed with those awards like they want their stars to be. He doenst even know school grades in the US, how dare he. Perkins was outright racist and the media willingly nad happily jumped on that bandwagon. Its like the "Nash didnt deserve MVP" myths.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,348

Post#13 » by Slim Charless » Thu May 4, 2023 4:37 pm

Your comment makes no sense and is funny. Denver won't make it past the Lakers. You really think this version of AD isn't gonna dominate Joker?

HAHAHAHAHA

LAL in 5

As for Embiid....Doc was dumb for playing him. Should've sat till game 3 or even 4 and bought him time. That decision likely cost Philly the series. This is Doc's fault.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu May 4, 2023 4:44 pm

Slim Charless wrote:

Your comment makes no sense and is funny. Denver won't make it past the Lakers. You really think this version of AD isn't gonna dominate Joker?

HAHAHAHAHA

LAL in 5

As for Embiid....Doc was dumb for playing him. Should've sat till game 3 or even 4 and bought him time. That decision likely cost Philly the series. This is Doc's fault.

I'm a huge LeChina fan so that works for me! Highly doubt it, but we'll see.

Embiid likely pounded the table to play after Harden's Game 1 performance. He didn't want people to think the team could excel without him, or that would ruin his excuse when they get bounced by Boston!

Btw, if you think Philly EVER had a chance to beat the Celtics, with our without Floppy, you shouldn't be calling my posts funny.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,419

Post#15 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 4, 2023 5:24 pm

LipSkinMatter wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

LAL in 5

I'm a huge LeChina fan so that works for me! Highly doubt it, but we'll see.

Embiid likely pounded the table to play after Harden's Game 1 performance. He didn't want people to think the team could excel without him, or that would ruin his excuse when they get bounced by Boston!

Btw, if you think Philly EVER had a chance to beat the Celtics, with our without Floppy, you shouldn't be calling my posts funny.

You sound like a real joy to be around!
Go Knicks!
Oncloud9
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#16 » by Oncloud9 » Thu May 4, 2023 5:34 pm

Embiid knows in his heart of hearts that he'll never lead this sixer team to a chip and therefore must lobby for in-season awards and accolades. Like Cousins he'll go team hopping hoping for a ring once his current contract is up.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,448

Post#17 » by Lunartic » Thu May 4, 2023 6:24 pm

once again Fraudbiid has excuses as to why he's going to get broomed out of the playoffs. But at least he can flop his way to 30ppg in the 39 RS games he plays
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,070

Post#18 » by dougthonus » Thu May 4, 2023 6:56 pm

Really wild how many people some how think Embiid is a bad guy or at fault for getting a grade 2 LCL sprain and is just "making excuses". Seriously, how do navigate life with such absolute horsesh*t sense of logic and reasoning?

You want to say Jokic deserved the MVP, go ahead. I think Jokic wining three MVPs in a row for gaudy stats and no results would be a bigger historical injustice than Embiid winning one where he was neck and neck and then getting hurt in the playoffs, but I totally get the Jokic argument.

You want to say you can't rely on Embiid? Sure, I agree. Dude has had problems staying healthy his whole career and has worn down in the playoffs frequently.

You want to say he faked a grade 2 LCL sprain that shows up on his MRI and sat out a game to build excuses for when he loses, that's some special kind of stupidity there.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,233

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu May 4, 2023 9:08 pm

dougthonus wrote:Really wild how many people some how think Embiid is a bad guy or at fault for getting a grade 2 LCL sprain and is just "making excuses". Seriously, how do navigate life with such absolute horsesh*t sense of logic and reasoning?

You want to say Jokic deserved the MVP, go ahead. I think Jokic wining three MVPs in a row for gaudy stats and no results would be a bigger historical injustice than Embiid winning one where he was neck and neck and then getting hurt in the playoffs, but I totally get the Jokic argument.

You want to say you can't rely on Embiid? Sure, I agree. Dude has had problems staying healthy his whole career and has worn down in the playoffs frequently.

You want to say he faked a grade 2 LCL sprain that shows up on his MRI and sat out a game to build excuses for when he loses, that's some special kind of stupidity there.

I don't disagree with your main point, but I wouldn't consider Jokic dragging that corpse of a roster to 48 wins last season "no results". They went to the 2nd round the previous season with Murray missing the playoffs. They shouldn't have been expected to do more. I don't actually care about these awards but you're calling out people for disrespecting Embiid and it's possible you are not giving Jokic the respect his due. They're both great.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,070

Post#20 » by dougthonus » Thu May 4, 2023 9:16 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:I don't disagree with your main point, but I wouldn't consider Jokic dragging that corpse of a roster to 48 wins last season "no results". They went to the 2nd round the previous season with Murray missing the playoffs. They shouldn't have been expected to do more. I don't actually care about these awards but you're calling out people for disrespecting Embiid and it's possible you are not giving Jokic the respect his due. They're both great.

I think Jokic is great. I think if you are a consecutive MVP winner 3x, you're on the pantheon of all time greatest players in the history of the NBA, and I don't think Jokic is that great. If you think Jokic's that great or if you think that shouldn't be a requirement to win 3 straight MVPs, I think either of those opinions is fine.

While the MVP, theoretically, should be an in-season regular season reward, I don't think it historically has just been that. People have absolutely historically factored in narrative that extends from previous playoff success and who hasn't won it and how many you have won in the mix. While we could talk about removing those asinine thoughts and recasting the MVP all the years in the past or just doing it differently moving forward (and both those thoughts would be fine too), if we go by what has been done in the past, I don't think Jokic deserved three straight. He's not head and shoulders above the league, I probably wouldn't start with him as the #1 pick in the "who would you want on your team to win a title this year" draft and probably wouldn't have him at that spot any year (and again, if you say that shouldn't matter, that's okay, MVP voting is a wild ride of opinions on how it should be done with no standard set).

But anyway, I'm not meaning to make it an MVP talk. I wouldn't have cared deeply if Jokic won it, but just like Jokic bowed out early in the past for having a junk roster and still got two anyway, and I'm not blasting him for having won two (but think you got to win something in the playoffs before I give you a 3rd), I'm also not going to slam Embiid and call him a liar just because he was given the MVP and has health concerns (I probably would have voted Giannis over Embiid and Jokic, and he got upset in the 1st round, so what do I know).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Discussion